1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for married men cheated on their wives with other men

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Sam James, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Sam James

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

Looking for advise or discussions regarding what I have done and what can be done to save my marriage?

Summary: I got caught by my wife on an email chain around 3 mos ago on my laptop. She Basically called me out on it 3 mos later. Hit me blindsided. I admitted to it but denied being gay. She said its not my fault she understood, But that wasn't the life she wanted for herself. I said I can't be romantically involved with a man its just sex. Just a reaction to an emotion in my head. I love you and I wont get a divorce. I think we can make this work, we have been married 20+ years I want to save this. Her: No I don't love you , I've disconnected from you and I want an agreement.

She hates me, I know. She wants to date other men, I know. I can't say anything but okay. My fear is shes going to get swept off her feet in excitement over some new Joe, ditch me, then it fizzles. Wasted a good marriage.

She's an intellect and sees life black and white. She is on all the st8 sites and they are just bashing the shit outta me. Leave him, Hes a piece of shit, he'll never change. Yeah I get why I'm Bi and I cheated! I could have Chosen to stay monogamous but I didn't My fault 100% Ive talked to her a few times trying to let her know how I feel and how sorry I am and that I want to try to make this work how Me being totally honest can change our lives in the bedroom too, be more open to more things and fun. She just quotes all the STATS of failures all the stats of 97% of these never ever work. I'm like couples make this work all the time. Isn't this worth a try? Shes devoid of me and I need to get counseling she says and shes right.

I'm trying my best to explain to her that I don't love men, I love you.

I am surprised how many Gay or Straight ONLY options and statistics and reports there are So Few with Other Options... So are there Anyone have any guidance? any questions? Any advise? I need help!

THANK YOU!!!

2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sam,

You may want to consider posting in the later in life section. There are other members whom have had similar experiences as what you are describing. They may be able to provide insight based on their experiences which you may find helpful.

There could be quite a lot going on with what you have described and there is no one size fits all answer for what your experiencing. One thing is for sure, there is quite a journey that lays ahead of you.

I am curious, have you visitied with a sexuality trained therapist by any chance? To the extent you have not, it may be a good idea for you to do so. As well, distinct couples counseling could benefit the both of you at the same time.

That said, in the first instance, you may want to work to better understand your sexuality and work to understand what is driving the same sex desires. Both heteronormative messaging as well as exposure to homophobia has a way of creating shame and internalized homophobia; working through these emotions may help to provide clarity as well as lift emotional weights off your shoulders. As well, while your figuring out your sexuality and same sex desires, you can work to figure out how that fits in with the relationship you have with your wife.

As well, not to judge for what you have done previsouly, going forward try and be as transparent and as open as possible with your wife. It might be emotional and challenging in the short term to do so, but it will pave the way for finding the right solution between the two of you in the long run.

I look forward to reading more posts as you progress on your journey. And welcome to EC, you will find this to be a safe place to engage with others.

#2 OnTheHighway, Jun 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  3. Sam James

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Highway

Thank you so much I sincerely appreciate your advise. I am looking for a Psych. at the moment to talk to and go to therapy to work on myself. Ive also received a lot of feedback re couples therapy... Which My wife isnt interested in. Should I just give that time as well? Or just be bleak and throw in the towel, Its over? I just cant accept that!

4. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First and foremost, working on yourself is probably the right approach. I can not say what is doable in regard to your marriage, that is something you and your wife need to figure out.

It does sound like she may be going through a bit of shock at the moment. Maybe letting her calm a bit might open her up to the idea of going to a couples counselor?

Why do you think she is so opposed? Is she maybe unhappy with the marriage as it is and sees this as an opportunity to exit the relationship? Have you explored this with her?

#4 OnTheHighway, Jun 15, 2017
  5. Sam James

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    OK noted on the self help!! Here is what I think is happening. So she found emails about me 3 mos ago. Shes known since 3 mos ago. we discussed this facet of myself 10 days ago. So I am raw and she isnt. Shes been in therapy and self help and every str8 network bi bashing marriage will never work site out there. (and there are a lot) So shes an intellect and has self decided that since all the groups and possibly her therapist? and all the statistics point to failure. its over, she doesnt love me or see me as her husband any longer. Devastating!
    The Bi Groups have the most minute details to support our cause to stay married. Its either YOU ARE GAY come out, Dont be greedy, Pick one sex or the other. LOL Really come one.

I thought we had an amazing marriage I am not a very sexual guy anyway with male or female. I almost thought- think I am asexual. But I get that she wants a lot of sex now. Alot of touching a lot of handholding. I also get that with this boundary of what I keep in my head now opened Sex could be more adventurous and fulfilling especially for her.

I am pretty lost here. I am a fixer and I have to wait for her to make her move and its killing me inside! Im going to loose this woman I Love and I was the root of the cause. But I am glad she knows about me I am glad she doesnt think it was her fault.

6. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just read your other reply where you say she is already on dating web sites. How long have you been married?

Based on what I am reading, it seems she is moving on. Are you fighting for her or are you really fighting for yourself and your former identity?

Sam James likes this.
  7. Sam James

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Highway, yes shes on dating sites. zoosk and something else. SHES processed this 3 mos ago, therapy, and str8book? I just found out 10 days ago she knew. 99% of what i have read is leave him, hes bad, it will never work. Im like its worked for 20 years? we can make some changes now that its all in the open now! she says she doesnt love me anymore and no longer sees me as her husband. dagger in the heart!

I love her I want to try to make this work Selfish me wants her to love me and me be her husband. I fear if I give her time to heal it will be too late. The other concern is that she finds a guy the NEW CAR syndrome will kick in and them I am out. (really possible) If I push to hard shes going to file papers shes already been to an attny but decided against it since she will only get half regardless.

I am who I am I cant change that But I want to be married and in a relationship with this woman. I know I cant make anyone do anything But GODDAMN this is one part of me. Ive got all these other parts to give too!?

8. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey I don't have any experience in this matter but I wonder have you asked your wife if she was happy before she found the email thread?

9. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sound like you need to maybe start to come to the reality that after 20 years, the marriage is over. And it would seem it might have been over in her mind well before she even saw what your had written.

Sorry to be direct, but maybe you need to come to terms with that?

10. Sam James

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    SH,
    The only thing I am aware of is that I am not an Alpha in the bedroom and have a low sex drive. Now that she knows about me, Ive said this could be a good thing it removes any boundaries in the bedroom and allows us to play and have fun. She replied I don't see you as my husband anymore and I like men. Im like ok well is this now an open marriage are you going to date are we finished? She said I want an agreement Ok I guess. Ill take an open marriage for her sake but I Think I have lost her. Talk about a bell curve shes been planning and processing this for 3 mos Ive had 10 days. Can I get a handicap, no I cant since I am the one that did this to her. fun day its going to be.

11. Sam James

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    OTH
    I guess so.

12. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe you are not as culpable as you may think you are. On the sexuality front, yes you did cheat. But in terms of the marriage, maybe she was waiting for you to do something so she does not need to take responsiblity. If after 20 years she will not go to a marriage counselor with you, where part of therapy is for each party to be honest and transparent, I would venture to guess there may be more to the story than you even know.

I am just making assumptions now, but there are many questions here that seem unanswered.

Also, why even bother staying together? Do you need each other financially? Do you have kids? Is there anything that requires you stay together? Aside from your own insecurities and low self esteem, why would you want to be with a woman that does not love you and does not want to be with you?

#12 OnTheHighway, Jun 15, 2017
  13. Tomás1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sam,
    I concur w OTH that your marriage seems over. I'm bi, my wife knew it when we got married, then later divorced.

I get that u want to save your 20 yr marriage, but it takes 2 to do that, & it seems she's not into it. U said she hates u, & is meeting other men. You're not reading the writing on the wall.

A few things u wrote r inconsistent:
    1) "I can't be emotionally involved w a man. Just a reaction to an emotion in my head". This is really b.s. You're in denial. Emotions r an expression of our deeper nature … as is our desire for sex. Don't hide. Whether you're gay, bi, asexual, whatever, step up to the plate.

2) "your sexuality is just 1 part of u, I've got all these other parts." Sexuality is an orienting & significant part of u - not just 1 part among lots of others. Notice the effect it's had on your wife. It's a major part of u. Some women freak out about a man being bi, others (usually who r bi themselves) r ok w it.

Can u say more about your attraction to other men? I hope I have not put u off by my comments … & that they've helped u to look deeper at yourself.

14. Sam James

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people

15. BiGuy365

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I had some medication that made me pretty impulsive and hypersexual, so I ended up having a one time (and first same sex) encounter. I thought at the time it was only a sexual experiment to see how Bi I really am. I concluded it was just a sex thing. Now, I am coming to terms with it and realize it is not just that and, in fact, the hookup idea was very damaging to me and my wife.

I go off the medicine and thought everything was going away; which it mostly did. Now, I feel more of a desire to grow a healthy relationship. However, I my wife and I both had to fight to get where we are today, so I am not pursuing my "other side" and focusing on time/intimacy with her. I can't focus on both at the same time, and it took a lot of strength from her to support me. Also it took a lot of discussion and time with me proving "good behavior" for a year to regain trust from her. It is a 20 year relationship for me also. The difference is, my wife was dedicated to me and not already looking for someone else. If I was in your situation, I think I would be divorced. She held it for three months and already committed to her own plan. That doesn't sound very healthy. Unless you can convince her to work together on this, I would say the outlook is not good. Sorry to say that and I hope the best for you.

16. Sam James

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm trying not to just have a break down with this last statement. I know you don't mean any harm at all I just haven't give up but I think she has and it makes me sad

17. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You deserve to find happiness.
    You deserve for yourself. Start looking inside and work on four IGI out whom you are - whether it is bi, gay, straight, or a unicorn!

When you find internal peace, you will find your own happiness. By ta up to you to embark on the journey.

Maybe your not breaking down because of the thought of losing your wife, maybe your breaking down over the thought of no longer living a life that was not authentic to begin with.

It's time to begin your journey to authenticity.

18. Sam James

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I need this woman in my life! Do I just suck this up? Do I give this time? Do I just stand by? IM SO LOST HERE! I AM THE PROBLEM SOLVER HERE AND I CANT FIX THIS!

19. BiGuy365

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I am so sorry to hear this. I understand the struggles. I don't think she understands the desire to express yourself. Will she be willing to see a counselor with you? You can't fix it, but maybe some mediator can help you fix it. Unfortunately, she does have the right to leave, but it doesn't sound like she is trying to understand or resolve the problem. I don't know what part of Texas you are in, but in the DFW area there are lots of resources. I am glad the have the VA services available. I would invite you to PM, but I haven't been granted the privilege yet. We can't share personal data either.

20. Ashmwke

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sam-

From a woman's perspective, married at that, I can tell you if she found out about your affair months back, she's had ample time to come to terms with what you've done. Ample time to decide what she wants, doesn't want. Etc.

I've been cheated on, and as a woman I can say when we say we are done, sadly (99% of the time) we are done. I left a marriage with a child involved over the same discretion.

My only advice to you would be to stop chasing. Stop trying to fix. Because in her mind this happened months ago, she's processed, and she's clearly ready to search else where.

Don't smother. Give her space.
    If your marriage and foundation was as solid as you claim for 20+ years, then she will come around. The grass isn't always greener. There's a 50/50 chance here, but I can tell you smothering will make the situation worse.

I wish you both the best of luck.