1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for knowledge about Manchester, England

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by WillowMaiden, Mar 31, 2013.

1. WillowMaiden

WillowMaiden Guest

Hiya! If anyone is from Manchester or has been to Manchester, I could really use your input if it's not a bother. :slight_smile:

I'm a writer and I've recently started a story where one of the characters (named Manny) is native to Manchester. Personality wise I've modeled him after the great Karl Pilkington, so I've got Manny covered there. A nice chunk of his story, though, takes place in Manchester and so far I only have technical information about Manchester, so I'm worried the his interactions with people will be stale or inaccurate to whatever the city's atmosphere or unspoken culture may be. Basically, I can do my research and learn about Manchester as a place, get the setting just so and everything, but what I really need to know about is Manchester as a home, not just a city.

So if it's not too much trouble could some of you answer these questions:

In general, from your experience, what would you say the people of Manchester are like? (I know personalities differ widely everywhere, but there's always a few outlooks and behaviors that most people in a certain area share in common as a result of living in said area.)

Is there a 'big city' or 'small town' mindset amongst most of the people? Is it a place where everyone knows everyone almost to an annoying point (in each other's lives a lot) or everyone's too busy to know anyone to a point where someone could be your neighbor for ten years and you you'd never learn their last name?

Manchester-natives, if you are extroverted and social, what is your typical day like?

As a visitor to Manchester or non-native to the city, what was your experiences like? Good and bad?

What would you say is the people's overall feeling toward newcomers/outsiders? Is there one at all?

Describe Manchester culture; main general values, interaction edicate, and the like.

Also, concerning the accent: When Karl P. says "Mum," he pronounces it "Mam." Is that common or just the way he speaks?

Um, I think that's all the questions I have. If there's anything else you'd like to share about Manchester or yourself as a Manchurian, that would be grand. Don't be afraid to share any negatives. In fact I encourage that more than positives, still both inputs are useful.

Thank you very much. :grin:

2. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  3. WillowMaiden

WillowMaiden Guest

4. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    [YOUTUBE]zzpvU4PBCv8[/YOUTUBE]

5. GayJay

Hey I'm not from Manchester but i live in Liverpool. It a 40 minute train ride for me to Manchester and I've been there a fair few times.

In general I think Manchester is a busy but friendly place. I shop there sometimes and it seems to be fine, people are pretty open minded there. And accepting to lgbt and people of other cultures, lots of multicultural shops and things like that.
    But there being some riverly between people from Manchester and people from Liverpool my ascent in particular has cased me a problem. I've been called 'scouse twat' and 'scum' when I've spoke there or when people have seen my Everton (Liverpool's local football team) badge on my jumper. Since Manchester's team Manchester United pretty much runs football here, people are pretty big football fans.

When I've been i'm usually down Oxford Road, it has a major train station, lots of shops, flats, pubs and shops along with the University of Manchester on it. So yeah its a pretty busy place. The flats, i would say are average council flats so yeah people don't really know each other last names or anything like that. I also know from a friend though about a council estate called Harpurhey. Apparently there people all know each other and everyone's business, we have places like that in Liverpool so i can defiantly see that being true.They have a TV show about Harpurhey, so maybe you should Google it and watch that, its a little over exaggerated though.

I'm gonna skip the part about the typical day in Manchester, seen as i don't actually live there.

Id say your experiences as a non native are pretty good. But like i said before it depends on where your from exactly. And with the University a lot of outsiders move up there so their pretty well accepted. I plan to lose my ascent and move there myself when i finish my a-Levels. I don't think there's at all any negative feel towards most outsiders, with the city having a lot of different cultures and students from here there and everywhere its pretty good.

I only know about ten people from Manchester, they all say mum. But saying Mam is not uncommon. That's not just a Manchester thing though we, that's said a lot in Liverpool too. I think its more to do with your generation rather than where your from. It seems to be common in people over like 40ish.

My only negatives of the city are it's pretty like Liverpool. Scousers and Mancs hate each other and i'm not even sure why. And in my opinion there's far too many scally kids and council estates, people on benefits ect... that's really common up North for sure don't know about Down south.

I hope that helps in some way, and i didn't just talk rubbish :slight_smile:

6. WillowMaiden

WillowMaiden Guest

No, this is all really good. I've just thought of a handful of scenes and characters as I was reading. :thumbsup:

Karl P. is in his 40s, so the 'Mam' thing makes sense, thanks for clearing that up. This Scouser vs. Manc thing and the die-hard football fan angles will be really fun to write, I can see it already, so I'll definitely look more into that.

To clarify: "scally kids, council estates, people on benefits..." Those words are the equivalent of "ghetto kids, hoods (poor neighborhoods), and people on welfare" correct?

Thanks, you've been a big help. :grin:

7. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yes, these are the working class people, some people call them Chavs, there are 2 football (soccer) teams in Manchester & they are bitter rivals, people who live in Manchester tend to support Manchester City, people who support Manchester United tend to live outside Manchester (they are quite popular in Northern Ireland) I know it sounds strange Lol
    The worlds longest running Soap Opera is Based in Manchester - Coronation Street :slight_smile:

8. MichaelB

Yeah, it is.

I'm not from Manchester but from the south of England, but a stereotype has been attached to the north of England that it's a poorer area of the country, yet this produces a 'friendlier' place. Most depictions of Manchester characters, at least in English media, are usually big on family culture and the likes.

It's not much I know, but maybe being aware of the regional connotation when compared to the rest of the country might help.

I have a few friends who come from up north (infact I think from near Manchester, not 100% sure on that though) that take the piss out of the southern English people; they say we're far softer (as in physically avoid hard work) , far more rigid and far more uptight, and have aptly named us 'southern fairies', while us down south usually refer to them as 'northern monkeys' >.>

Not gunna lie, when someone asks me to think of someone from Manchester, I usually think of a 40 something truck driver that drinks a lot of beer, watches a lot of football and is way too protective of his daughters haha.

Again, this might not help you but just wanted to help :slight_smile:

#8 MichaelB, Mar 31, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  9. tommytwoways

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    knowledge about Manchester, England

take that are from manchester (!)
    there are two premier league teams from manchester: united and city
    the demonym of people from manchester is : mancunian

etc,

there's so much knowledge to be had.

10. Harve

I'm an hour from Manchester and was there this week. It's probably the biggest city in the north, so it's quite bohemian. I don't think you can characterise a person by where they're from, anyway.. Oh and by the way, it's 'mancs' (rhymes with wank) and not 'mannys'.

And the weather's absolutely shite, just so you know.

11. WillowMaiden

WillowMaiden Guest

:lol: I know the term is Mancs. You misunderstand, my character's first name is Manny. :slight_smile:

I totally agree, you can't characterize a person by where they're from. For the story's sake, to accurately depict his home through his eyes and how he might interact with people there I need to know about the place and its people all the same.

Thanks for the bohemian tidbit, that'll be fun to mention.

---------- Post added 31st Mar 2013 at 07:17 PM ----------

This is good, yeah. At some point Manny is going to interact with people from the south and with this info I see very funny things happening. Thanks Michael. :grin:

12. Iamthewalrus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I lived in greater Manchester until I was 18 and for me it wasn't such a great place, probably because I was quite unhappy whilst I was living there. So this tells me that what your character thinks of Manchester as a place might depend on his current mental state and personality. If he's an optimist in a good place then it could definitely be seen as a vibrant, interesting place to live. But if he's like me, I saw it as a grey, soulless mess that I wouldn't go back to if I were paid to - in fact I passed up the chance to compete for selection for the Olympics because I'd have to move back to Manchester if successful.

Oh and there's Canal Street. I don't know if your character is LGBT but Canal street can either be a great night out or it can frighten you to within an inch of your life. For me it was definitely the latter.

Regarding the accent, my mother never allowed us to acquire the Manchester dialect because she didn't like it and would definitely not have allowed us to call her 'Mam'.

13. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You will find this interesting about Manchester :slight_smile:

[YOUTUBE]ZK_3KhQtMnw[/YOUTUBE]

14. GayJay

Ahhaa, that's true people down South are defdo work shy, yet its us up noteth with a worse job market but least we know how to graft. No that's a pretty sterotypical veiw, I know more 'fairy' men from Manchester than hard men. But that's the younger generationg again the older men are ussually typical mens men.
    Are we gonna hear this book when you write it? :slight_smile:

15. WillowMaiden

WillowMaiden Guest

Sure, I'll post a sample piece of Manny's intro when I've finished it. :grin:

---------- Post added 1st Apr 2013 at 04:24 PM ----------

So canal street frightened you because it is bad for LGBT people?

16. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sadly the Youtube Links have been removed, I am sorry about that, you would have found them interesting :frowning2:

17. Harve

Don't know what he means - Canal Street is the main gay area.

18. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Looks like the links are back up Lol
    Must have been the April fools day thing :slight_smile:

19. darkcheesse

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i only found two of the Manchester slang that i knew and they were both spelt incorrectly

if you would like to know what like is like on a Manchester estate what shameless (uk), alot of the situations the character me or friends have been through somit similar safe bert:thumbsup:

20. Iamthewalrus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No, not at all. Because I was young and inexperienced and being somewhere with so many lgbt boys was a bit scary.