1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long term single

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by PinkCarnation41, Nov 4, 2019.

1. PinkCarnation41

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi,

I'm a 44 year old long term singleton. I work full-time but have social anxiety and find it hard to make friends and join in clubs or group activities to make friends/go on dates. I feel very isolated and although I'm aware that I've brought this situation on myself I'm finding it difficult to see a way out. I've also had suicidal thoughts but would never act on them. I've also been bullied in work in the past.

2. Molly1977

Hello, wow you sound exactly like me. I've never had a relationship, although I'm quite confident and have some nice friends I just tend to stay within my social group so there are very few opportunities to meet new people. I don't fully know your situation but I know for myself I just tend to stay within my my comfort zone and find it hard to broaden my horizons and meet new people.

The suicide thing seems very familiar as well, I'm constantly thinking about killing myself. Life can be very difficult sometimes but please know, you are not alone, other people are going through the same things as you. xxx

3. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey thats though that you feel that way. Have you ever had any therapy to try and work on your social anxiety?
    Do you find it easier to communicate with people on a one on one situation or in a group?
    It doesnt have to be this way forever.

4. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    We're glad you're here. It's also good to see other long-term singles on here, in the Later in Life section. Many members in Later in Life are or have been married. They are working through their struggles. Long-term singles have their own struggles. Many are introspective, cautious, and don't want to take many leaps. I understand that. Even today, marital status can be a challenging thing to work around, both socially and in the workplace. Were you bullied at work because of assumptions or because your sexual orientation is known? I know it's easier said than done, but try to maintain your dignity and keep your chin up around such unacceptable behavior.

Interest1 and Kmermaid00 like this.
  5. Cashew

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey!
    Another long term single here and I have no problems joining groups or meeting new people. I meet new people all the time and still nothing... not sure if that’s any comfort to you!!
    In terms of social anxiety CBT therapy has been shown to be very effective for this. Just a suggestion but yeah maybe if you could make some new friends that might help tackle the loneliness.
    Be compassionate with yourself too, it’s not your fault your socially anxious, many people are in this day and age, but with the right tools and coping skills you definitely can recover from it, no doubt about it.