1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long Distance Relationship

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by potofsoup, Oct 20, 2014.

1. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm in one now and I can't honestly say I like it. I'd rather my SO be home and safe with me but the situation is temporary and can't be helped. We just deal with it. Hopefully something good will come from it for someone.

2. DarkestDream

I'm in one now, actually. Almost four years ago, I met my partner online, and went to visit her where she lives with her kids in Canada, and ended up staying there until a few months ago. I had to come back to the states to take care of my health, and see family again, but we're in a continuing process to obtain my residency there in Canada. Hopefully that goes successfully, but in the meantime, we keep in touch daily. It's not easy, but it worked to bring us together, and it's helping to keep us together. :slight_smile:

3. potofsoup

potofsoup Guest

Thanks for your replies guys :slight_smile:

4. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It really does depend on the circumstances.

I've been in one, but honestly the distance got to us. After a year I just couldn't handle it anymore. For myself personally, I want to share my experiences with someone... See what they see... I want to cuddle and just do boring everyday stuff together.

However it's not so hard to be long distance now with the level of technology we have acquired. To be on the positive side. Just make sure you have a reliable phone, internet, and disposable income so you can save to visit each other. Very important. Also to be open to the idea of moving!

5. rhapsodic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm pretty sure 90% of them never work out, based on what I hear. Personally, I don't think I could do it. I wouldn't like having the person I love most so far away from me.

6. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I could never do it.

7. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I live in The UK, my partner lives in the US. We see each other on average twice a month for a few days to a few weeks at a time. Our distance apart is work driven. At some point one of us will move across to the other, and that point will be when we get married in the next year.

Thanks for FaceTime and Skype! Certainly makes it easier.

8. Kriskluwe

Kriskluwe Guest

Im in one now tecnically but its other obstacles that i find harder . Never would have thought that id be in one (Well, apparently i didnt think about alot of stuff) . Thank f for facetime ! We also hook up fairly regularly but its difficult nonetheless. I seem to have major jealosy ? demons that came out of nowhere . i had 2 "relationships "in h s and they never even came close to this level of ? not even sure what it is but its intense .
    (5 more minutes of this lecture and this dude loves to go to the last minute )

9. Hell2theno

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you could make it work, but it does depend on certain factors. You need to make sure you know that person inside out, so if it doesn't work you can still be good friends. But also so that you aren't just friends from the Internet turning it into something more, I know a few people who have done that, but they don't know the person and it turns into an episode of Catfish. Make sure that down the line you know it will turn into something more. Everyone gets into relationships, but they don't think about the future. If you enter a relationship and you are 100% sure you don't like them enough to turn it into anything else, it isn't just a waste of time, but it is also hard and unfair for the other person. Make sure you have a deep connection. Go with your heart! Good luck x

10. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was actually just in one for seven months. So yes I would be fine being in one. But it's very difficult just with the time difference and trying to get to know one another. I don't regret the one I was in but I don't really want to be in a long distance relationship with someone else again.

11. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

It's interesting, but I actually can't see myself in a short-distance relationship, as opposed to most people saying they couldn't do an LDR.

12. Pipihpipih

Pipihpipih Guest

Out Status:
    A few people
    I had LdR for several times
    For me it would work but not for quite long

1 year is the most.
    I usually had long time date with my prev gfs

3 last gf's I had LDR with
    The first and second one last for 6 months..(each)
    And My last gf who I just broke up with last month, we date for 7months. Also LDR!

There's a plus n minus having LDR u know...

I prefer live together with my gf. When Im getting more secure one day I will...

The longest I had relationship was in 2003-2008 (5yrs) and it didnt work out
    Her family insist her to get married cause her age :-(

#32 Pipihpipih, Oct 24, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  13. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm open to the idea. :slight_smile: Besides, if I ever were to date the one I love, it would probably end up being a long distance relationship.

14. wolfheartmoon

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Been in one for four years, been able to meet her twice, and both of us say if me moving to be with her in summer doesn't work, it's ending because we're sick of it. We should be able to BE with someone in a relationship, and it's not fair to either one of us to keep going in a relationship where we may only meet once in a year if we're lucky. Not doing it any longer than this year she's in school

15. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Haha ohh snap. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

-

Anyway, I am in a long distance relationship currenly. We chat a lot, we Skype a lot, and it's such a good thing that Skype exists! That way I can see him react, he can see me react, it's amazing. Without Skype it would be much more difficult.

And I do think it will work out between us. I'm actually quite sure that it will work out. When I finished my bachelor, I might get a job or go for my masters. After my masters, I can get a job very quickly, because not many people study what I study (econometrics), there's a lot of demand and there's little supply. So I might be able to work abroad, which makes moving out a lot easier (I can get a 'wildcard' if I want to live in the US and have work there, companies can push those things). We can also do it the other way round, he will be living here with me. :icon_bigg

If everything goes well, he will visit me next year which is absolutely amazing. We tell each other that it's not an easy road we are walking, but we will have each other in the end. Definitely. :slight_smile:

16. ForeverYoung000

I don't like them. Being in a relationship and not being able to see them is not the same then actually being by their side and being able to touch and cuddle. I had a long distance relationship. Worst thing ever. -_-

17. potofsoup

potofsoup Guest

Thanks for your replies guys :slight_smile:

18. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I couldn't do it--but part of that is that I'm a very physical person, even to the point of being "handsy". My partner used to travel occasionally for work and when he was out of town I actually couldn't sleep. Which can be a real problem if he's gone for a week...

19. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Short term it can be done. It's not easy as there will always be that yearning for real contact that cannot be filled by phone calls or Skype, but if both parties are equally committed and can live with the frustration of distance, for whatever reason, it's possible. Over the longer term there has to be an understanding that things must change (I think).

20. nailbug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    they're difficult, but it depends on how willing you are to stay with that person. personally, i like being able to touch the one i love, but sometimes things aren't that easy. long distance isn't for everyone.