1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lisbeth Salander

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by NerdyMJ, Jun 23, 2018.

1. NerdyMJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I recently saw a trailer for an American version of The Girl in the Spider's Web, based on the book by David Lagercrantz. The book is a continuation of Stieg Larsson's Millennium trilogy, compiled from material that Larsson had written before he died. The movie, however, is a direct sequel to the American version of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and skips over the two sequels in the book series.

I am not sure if I will see this movie. At least, not in theaters because while I am a huge Lisbeth Salander fan, I actually was not a fan of the book this movie is based on. I tried reading it and could never finish it because I felt the plot was moving too slowly. I am also not a fan of the actress who is playing Lisbeth in this movie. I would have much preferred to see her portrayed by one of the actors from the original franchise(Noomi Rapace or Rooney Mara). I also hate that it skips over the next two books in the series, which chronicle all of Lisbeth's character development and her relationship with Miriam. That, in particular, makes me feel like they are glossing over her sexuality, which I hate because I've always looked up to Lisbeth and even had a crush on her myself.

Do you guys have any thoughts on this movie or how Lisbeth's character development will be portrayed in it?

2. CanadianRunner

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I haven't read the books, but I was a huge fan of the 2011 David Fincher film with Rooney Mara and Daniel Craig. It has been speculated that the box office numbers weren't as high as Sony expected, so they weren't rushing to do a sequel. Rooney Mara has said numerous times over the past 5 years that she was hoping to return for a sequel and said recently regarding this upcoming project, "I was hopeful to come back, but they decided to do a different thing. It was always a character I wanted to revisit; but that's not what happened."

Will I see this new film? Maybe, but probably not in theatres, unless the reviews are very high. I am not sold on this new lead.
    For me though, it isn't just about Mara being replaced. Fincher is one of the best directors working today, he is what this new film would have needed and they replaced him with a director with not a great track record, in my opinion.