1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBTQ+ topics and uni

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Rayland, Mar 14, 2023.

1. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not looking for advice or anything, just writing some thoughts down.

There are so many opportunities in my university to do homework and projects on lgbt+ topics and I'm amazed that these do come up and I'm really happy about it. There is one homework about clients with special needs/interests and their journey when traveling. We have to make a poster, so I was thinking taking a transgender person as my client (it's fictional) and the special needs to have gender neutral bathrooms and changing rooms. So I have to do some research about that.

It's just a bit anxiety inducing, since scared that people will ask questions about me and the relations of why these topics and I have fear of public performance, but it's still something I want to do, because my thesis also will be about lgbtq+ community travel safety and safest destinations or something like that. I'm really passionate about it and it would help raise awareness too. I know that there are past thesis about lgbtq+ topics.

I really can't be an activist, if I keep getting scared of everything.

Generally people in my university seem open minded. It's often my anxiety that gets in the way of things.

mnguy, Wanderlost and quebec like this.
  2. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Rayland.....Go for it! :old_big_grin:
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

Rayland likes this.
  3. Wanderlost

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't forget to include Iceland as one of those destinations. :wink:

Rayland likes this.
  4. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's a great idea and I'm glad it's a supportive place for you and others who are there!

Rayland likes this.
  5. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you guys for the encouragement. :slight_smile:

I've been really shy in uni and keep to myself more, but I do feel like I can be myself there the more I'm getting to know others. It's the first time I've heard anything about lgbt+ being mentioned outside of online enviroment by lecturers and I really feel like I have to do this for myself and for others. I'm not sure how I might handle the negativity and transphobia from others in real life, but we'll see. If I can overcome this, then I can also overcome coming out to my parents.

I was attending a course of how to become successful and I learned about limiting paradigms what refer to rigid ways of thinking or beliefs that restrict one's perception of the world and their potential actions within it. These paradigms can be self-imposed or imposed by external factors such as society or culture. Overcoming limiting paradigms often involves challenging one's assumptions and exploring new perspectives. Also they mentioned turning fear into power. It was really inspiring.