1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lgbt rights vs religious freedom

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by dreamcatcher, Dec 11, 2011.

1. No One

So a religious organization can fire you for being gay, but a non-religious organization can't fire you because you refuse to comply with their equality policies?

Rediculous.

Besides, this had nothing to do with her religion. It wasn't affecting her in any way, and the bible does not say '"Men shalt not use the womens dressing room" Thus sayith the Lord Corinthians 3:4'

2. dreamcatcher

I'm with both of you on this. It's so ridiculous the things people get away with in the name of religion. I think what baffled me the most was that this woman got so much attention and support for being a jackass. Sometimes I feel like the clause "freedom of religion" is basically a free pass for committing discriminatory/hateful acts without having to face any consequences.

3. Charni

Charni Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I agree. I think you can have both honestly. I am not against LGBTs and I am Christian.

4. Zooombini

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Did anyone else find this line disturbing? I did:
    “It's just a matter of time that a man goes into a female fitting room and watches women undress or, even worse, rapes a woman.”

Everyone would be in separate dressing rooms, so no creepy guys could even be in the same room as a woman. Most women wouldn't let a stranger change with them anyways and a lot of, if not all, dressing rooms have locks on them. Sorry if it doesn't really have anything to do with subject, that line just creeped me out...

5. Sythan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is not an issue of religion freedom. Religion doesn't come into place here, at all. It's just like the Christian family who is crying religious discrimination because their Homeowners Association told them to take down a painting of the Virgin Mary.

She didn't follow the rules of the store, just because a store protects religious freedom, does not mean you get to infringe on the rights of others.

6. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Exactly! They always say that guys (claiming to be transgender) will suddenly go into women's restrooms and rape women if trans-friendly laws are enacted. It's the typical scare-tactic lies that the anti-GLBT groups use. Sadly, some people repeat these lies since they either don't think about the validity of them or they don't care that they lie to continue our discrimination. :tantrum:

7. Emberstone

ironic. the rape and pedophillia lines dont actually have merit because both rape and pedophillia are near universally heterosexual. people try to claim that gay people are pedophilles, and some are, but a extreme minority. if gay=pedophille, one would expect that pedophillic rape would occur at a higher percentage withen the LGBT community than it does in the heterosexual community. As it is, if we assume that 5-10% of americans are gay, the statistics show that it is more common in heterosexual community by a considerable margin.

the right wing will cling to these lies because facts have never suited them when it comes to civil rights. These are the same people who used the bible to justify slavery, demonize interacial marriage, and deny women equal rights. Funny how after all that, they proclaim themselves to be of the party of lincoln, who was a left wing progressive of his time.

8. Dasc Crescent

You know that women is right, in Leviticus it says "thou shalt not let transgendered into thy incorrect dressroom."
    hey it was the Bible who said it, not me. letting that Tran go into a dressroom would totally ruin her chances of getting into heaven.

9. ESA3NZ

Out Status:
    Some people
  10. Ridiculous

11. ESA3NZ

Out Status:
    Some people
    [/QUOTE]Quite frankly, at this point I think we'd be insulted if Fox News were on our side. After so long you don't really want the support of your enemies. The best solution is for them to just go away.[/QUOTE]

:thumbsup:

So true... Ignorance jus pisses me OFF!! :angry:

12. Emberstone

Evolution of humans and human society will one day make the 1960's john birch/jim crow/Mjölnir style Fox News obsolete.

Stupidity eventually kills itself out... it just takes time.

13. Elven

If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen.

If she isn't going to treat the customers with the respect they deserve for whatever reason then she should not be working there. I would expect the same of any retail company.

14. Emberstone

I think at the root of the problem is theocratic extremists who are giving themselves constitutional rights that do not exist. The constitution lays out that freedom of religious is purely and solely the right to practice your faith in the privacy of your own life without goverment interference (again, this only counts towards practicing your faith in a way that does not constitute criminal activity, such as theft, murder, abuse, and neglect, and destruction of private property).

Freedom of religion means someone cant fire you for having a religious belief (which is not what happened here, she was fired for breaking the rules, and mistreating customers). You cannot claim your religious freedoms are being infringed if you were fired for breaking the rules. it will not hold up in a court of law.

15. Weswi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The interview from Fox News was really ridiculous! But then again I would have been surprised if it were anything else...