1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT parents with LGBT kids

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by confusedmale, Jun 24, 2014.

1. confusedmale

confusedmale Guest

Ok I need some advice, few months ago I came clean to my wife I was Bisexual, couple of weeks later, My wife and I get a message from one of our offspring basically coming out of the closet and telling us that they are bisexual . Being the parents we are, we were like its ok and we love you. The question im having, is do I tell my offspring about my being bisexual as well, or should I just be there for them if they need support or to talk?

2. Yosia

Telling them will make them feel 'normal' because you probably know, when you find out you are LGBT you feel like a freak until you find out others are the same. And that they can trust you woth how they feel.

Its up to you, do you want them to know they have an LGBT parent or not? Or do you just want to be there for them?

3. confusedmale

confusedmale Guest

I'm Not really sure if I wanna tell them or not, I'm just starting to come out to a few people also, so not sure if I wanna go that far. I do however wanna be there for them if they need some support or just wanna talk. Although it does seem like it would be easier to tell them and so we could kinda relate to what each of us is going thru. So at this point i'm kinda weighing the options. Either way they know they have the support and love of their parents.

4. adrianislander

kids need and want a role model, you know? someone they can look up to. and who better to be that role model than yourself? i'm sure that once you tell them, it won't just be a way you can relate to one another, but a way for your kid to say 'hey, if my dad can be brave about this, then why can't i?' and both you guys can make the transition easier for one another in the long run! i hope this helps!

5. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I personally think it's a good idea too. Not only will it help them understand that there is nothing wrong with it, but having that in common may potentially bring you closer.

I have two children myself, and I would certainly tell them. In fact, when they are older and are learning about relationships, I would happily talk to both of them about my orientation so to expose them to the rich diversity of human attraction and to show them it's ok to not have to be a heterosexual person. (They are 4 and 9 at the moment so a little young for that conversation now).

I like the openness and honesty approach as it builds trust between you and you children. I mean, it's not like you have something sinister to hide. What ever you decide, I hope you and your family are well.

Happy days :slight_smile:

6. confusedmale

confusedmale Guest

Thx for the responses, makes sense to me, i guess now I know what I should do.

7. the lone wolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, personally I think it would comfort me if one of my parents would let me know this, as it's been mentioned before, it would help make them feel 'normal'.

8. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with everyone else, i think you should tell him/her, this could help a lot.

Good Luck :grin:

9. confusedmale

confusedmale Guest

Ok took your advise, told my daughter. She said wow I didnt see that coming. But I think we are giod, she did not seem mad or dissappointed. Thx everyone. 4 down many to go.

10. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Glad it worked out well. Hope everything goes well for you. At least you daughter will know where to go if she wants to have discussions on bisexuality.

Happy days :slight_smile: