1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT folks and music preference

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AlamoCity, Dec 27, 2013.

1. ninerw

Oh gosh...open my iphone and there are so many genres of music. Broadway, Classical, oldies, folk, Singer/Songwriter, Pop, Alt, Alt Rock, Alt pop, Rap, Country, Vocal, Electro...whew...

I tend to gravitate towards bands that aren't too over the top and just really chill. But I can also pull out Nicki Minaj, Girl Talk, Otis Redding or Queen on any occasion.

2. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nah. I really don't even like pop music at all. That said, I'm pretty all over the place with my tastes in music. I love angry music, whether it be metal, punk, rap, or hard rock. I like this kind of music because it's a hell of a lot more relatable than those top 40- dance club hits. And is fun to headbang and scream along with.

Another kind that just melts me like a block of butter is Jim Croce and Springsteen-style music. Not really sure what genre you'd call them. But you know, old story-type songs. Oldies, you could say. My dad got me into that type of music when I was younger. We had countless afternoons filled with Red-Green, hotdogs, and him playing those kinds of songs to me on guitar.

3. Mariall

80s rock, Snow Patrol, and Evanescence

4. Minamimoto_Fan

Anything that isn't country

5. Doorway

Jesus, my tastes are all over the place. I like Top 40 (although I hate Ke$ha, Pitbull, LMFAO, and all the other generic clubby crap), VGM, some EDM (no dubstep), classical, a smattering of classic rock, new wave/80s, rap (Eminem, Drake, and classic 90s Snoop and Dre), and the occasional vintage hot jazz. I do enjoy, in an ironic sense, ratchet trap and super-gay stuff like Supermodel or Rick Astley, becuase that stuff never fails to put a big-ass grin on my face :grin: My iPod tends to confuse and mindfuck anyone who looks at it.

My gay brother, otoh, listens to the generic euro-dance gay club music :rolle:

6. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Dance? Sure. Pop? No.
    I'll enjoy almost any genre as long as the song/artist is good. (Especially if it's a Touhou remix.)
    The only exceptions are pop, country, and harsh noise. (I'm not a fan of folk or oldies, either.)
    I'm a fan of rap, electro, and metal. I'd say my tastes are too out there for bubblegum pop.
    :thumbsup: And that's how I like them!

7. Gerit

I have a deep burning passion for power metal. Probably because there's a lot of fantasy (medieval-ish) sung about. That, and it's easy to zone out to.

8. Saint Otaku

Although I really do abhor Gaga's music, I didn't mind her SNL hosting :slight_smile:

I will say that music sure does get in one's head and bring on the urge (which is then strongly suppressed) to dance (^.^)

I'm feelin' too contrary today to state my own preferences though :grin:

9. Hiems

Indie rock: Florence + the Machine, Of Monsters and Men, Tegan and Sara
    Alternative rock: Coldplay, Imagine Dragons, Paramore
    EDM: Avicii, Zedd, Calvin Harris
    Pop: Lana Del Rey, Jessie J
    Pop Rock: Kelly Clarkson, P!nk, OneRepublic

My brother and most of his friends are obsessed with Korean pop. I never understood why, haha...

I used to like J-pop as an adolescent/teen but that was because the music sounded cool. But then I never really understood the message from the lyrics, so it got boring. I am/was also too lazy to learn the language. So then my music interests started to change as I looked elsewhere.

10. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :roflmao: :thumbsup: :lol: (*hug*)

I concur.

11. Van

Van

I mostly listen to pop, dance, EDM, pop-rock, alternative, but I also like r'n'b, indie, country, folk, house, soul. I'm a music junkie, what can I say.

12. Wolf runner

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I have to say, psychedelic rock is on the top for me.
    Pink Floyd, Rodger Waters, The Beatles, John Lennon, Led Zeppelin,
    MGMT in the indie rock section. Just, generally the oldies.
    The cars rock it out too.

13. Oddish

Oddish Guest

It's impossible for me to try and summarise my music tastes, but I mainly binge on post-punk british rock, post-rock, alt. rock, electronic, ambient, indie, ect. I guess my "default" artists are The Smiths, Joy Division, Dead Kennedys, Smashing Pumpkins, Pixies, Daft Punk, ect.

Don't get me wrong, I really like classical music and some of those radio tunes are extremely catchy, plus I listen to plenty of obscure music as well, 'french house' explains a genre I happen to listen to often. My sexuality really has no correlation with the music I happen to enjoy, unless like pansexuality, I like everything. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. 6star

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I guess it's called alternative now. I listen to the radio mostly. And it is always on the world famous KROQ. And I've been listening to that station for over 35 years. And all music from that station. In the early days it had a lot if what I call REAL Punk rock.

#54 6star, Dec 30, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  15. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I definitely don't fit the stereotype that all LGBT people listen to pop.

I mostly listen to 90's music (except for early 90's) like Eve 6, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Better Than Ezra, and Collective Soul. I also get into some rock music from 3 Doors Down, Green Day, Shinedown, and certain stuff from Linkin Park.

16. RainyViolinist

I really like almost all types of music, except for rap unfortunately and possibly screamo-type stuff. My favorite genres probably have to be alternative rock, indie, JPop, a little EDM, and classical. I'm also really loving Lorde right now, who probably falls somewhere between indie and pop.

17. Rainbows~Exist

Daft Punk, Arctic Monkeys, Justice, Deadmau5, Disclosure. That's all I need although I do find some songs by other artists that are really good.

18. Fumi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I like sugary, commercial, danceable pop. I don't think that has anything to with me being gay though, I guess I'm just not too picky about music.

19. GArchi1992

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You have such good taste in music!!!!

20. PrinceOfAvalon

Missouri, U.S.A.... in a town no one knows of lol
    Well, I love and can appreciate nearly all forms of music. I see all music as Art, whether its pop or screamo, heavy metal, satanic... classical, doesnt matter :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I can appreciate that other people can appreciate in the same way that I love and appreciate Japanese Music. I dont fully understand the love for certain type of music, but i recognize it.

At heart though, Im a pop music fan. In all languages. I think even though people like to criticize pop music as "fleeting" "unoriginal" etc etc... well the unoriginal thing is a stupid claim because basically everyone is copying someone at some point in some form when it comes to music >.> Some people find it shallow, but i think i can get extremely emotional or inspired from many outlets. Pop music is common for me. Hell, I came out of the closet last january because of Pop music ^_^

I think that Pop music that exists is good for its cause. Whether its a song about partying, a song about love, death, happiness.. I think any kind of feeling can be expressed through pop music and its added ability to be effective to masses of people... thats kind of beautiful to me, despite its flaws.

I think being gay has only allowed me to branch into music and not have to worry about gender/sexuality roles :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Im not afraid to love lady gaga or beyonce or madonna or any female artist. Ofc, a straight secure male could feel the same. I just think being gay has made me more open about what I enjoy, more true to myself and less caring about other peoples perspective on things i consider trivial.