1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leslie Stahl's 60 Minutes piece: Gay or Straight?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by BaciListClostridium, Apr 12, 2006.

1. ARGH! I just typed out my whole thing, and I lost it somehow. Anyway...

I don't know when this originally aired, but I just found it on an excellent blog:

http://malcontent.typepad.com/malcontent

The site is worth perusing, but in case you don't have time to wade through the archives in search of this vid, I uploaded it to yousendit:

Gay or Straight?

The self-assured 9 year olds made me smile. They must have wonderful parents who instilled in them a great sense of self-worth. I hope they both keep that quality as they get older.

2. LorenzG1950

A great clip well worth watching. The two kids certainly have super parents. The theories are food for thought and an excellent field for more research. I happen to have an older brother and am right-handed.:idea: Maybe someone could start a poll on the subject.

Thanks for posting the link. I like the Malcontent site too.

Lorenz:eusa_ange

3. LowestVocal017

Indeed, this is worth watching! :icon_smil This would have been something that saved my life from "you're living a perverted LIFESTYLE" and all that other junk straight guys, especially religious ones, have tried to press on me. I, for one, have been living in a society that presently believes homosexuality to be a conscious social choice. Therefore, they take into account that homosexuality is "different," and furthermore, "disgusting" and "morally wrong" and a "sin." Sound science demonstrates the opposite of that, something which 60 Seconds in this clip did pretty well. Do you have other clips on this issue as well? Keep showing them if you do. :slight_smile:

Go spread the clip elsewhere too, BaciListClostridium. Many gay's will appreciate it as much as I do, or perhaps even more. They might be living a life of lies like I had been living back then. You just might save them from society like it would have saved me the same.

Last, I actually have a book, entitled, Why Men Don't Iron? by Anne and Bill Moir, which said the exact same thing in the first chapter. This book did saved me from the verbal hostility I was tormented with younger. That's why I said that the clip WOULD HAVE saved me, but nope, this book saved me first!! LOL! :biggrin: Anyways, do spread the clip! Gay people NEED to see it!

4. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

That's certainly an interesting clip. It is playing the stereotypes somewhat though - especially the judging who is gay and straight by the way they move and speak. It isn't that easy in reality, as we all know.

I wonder whether the 9 year old featured is actually transexual (female trapped in a male body) rather than gay. From what he says it sounds like he thinks he is a girl.

Incidentally for those who don't know "60 Minutes" the clip is just one part of the show and runs for about 15 minutes..

5. LowestVocal017

Hi, Paul_UK! :slight_smile:

Yeah, definitely. Eventhough it is scientifically proven, the study does not speak for every gay and straight person. For example, my straight friend Jordan sounds very similiar to what the researchers in the clip would consider a typical voice of a gay person. Jordan is straight (unless there's something that he's hiding). Even Leslie Stahl herself said that "it's not 100% true."

Where's the rest of video, do you know? If that 15-minute clip is just sect of the whole thing, I'd like to see the whole thing.

6. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

The guy at the haidressers who usually does my hair is another example. He has all the camp manorisms expected from male hairdressers, and many people would assume he's gay from that. On that programme he would have been identified as gay. Yet he's straight, has been with the same girlfriend for years and married her a year or so ago. Last time I was there, their first baby had been born a couple of weeks before and he spoke of little else (it was actually quite sweet to see him so over-the-moon about it)!

My guess (though I don't know) is that the 60 minutes show contains four different unrelated 15 minute reports.

7. TriBi

It sounds like you guys don't get a "local version" of 60 Minutes.

The normal format is 3 segments per show - which, after Ad breaks, means about 15 mins per segment.

#7 TriBi, Apr 23, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2006
  8. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Thanks for the clarification. :slight_smile:

We don't watch TV, so I wouldn't know. I don't think it's on UK terrestrial TV but it's probably on Sky (satelite TV) somewhere.

9. LowestVocal017

well, actually, I just don't watch t.v. that much. But anyways, do you have the entire episode on Leslie Stahl's "Gay or Straight" journal? (the rest of the video, I mean)