1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lesbian or Asexual?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Unsure77, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Unsure77

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's definitely comforting that I can get through this and come out happy on the other side.

Haha! Good to know! Fair enough.

That definitely makes sense. I may just be a process like you guys are saying.

androgynousdog likes this.
  2. SoulSearch

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi, and welcome. Just want to note that I’m another “victim” of True Love Waits,” so I get it. For me, I ended up marrying my first serious boyfriend and waited until engagement to have sex. Sex was something I felt guilty about and it was never something I enjoyed. I’ve spent the last 25 years tolerating it and last year I fell hard for a lesbian friend and realized I’m not straight. I have always liked looking at women, was turned on by lesbian scenes in movies and books, had intense friendships with girls, etc. I never considered I was gay because it wasn’t an option presented to me and I never saw real life lgbtq role models. I am definitely demisexual, so there’s no strong attraction unless I make an emotional connection with someone. After a year of realization and therapy I’m now in a serious relationship with a woman and I can say I’m most definitely a lesbian. Sex with her is intense and satisfying and feels right. It’s not perfect — I still carry some of that southern baptist shame deep inside, but I’m learning to take great pleasure in sex and being who I am. I hope your path will become clear soon. It’s a hard journey, but worth it, I believe.

androgynousdog and Unsure77 like this.
  3. Unsure77

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Holy cow it sounds like we had identical experiences except I took the red pill and you took the blue one as far as marriage. Good to know it wasn’t just me.

Drizzle and androgynousdog like this.
  4. Unsure77

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, it’s not so much that they screwed up a bunch of people’s lives and marriages as it is that they screwed up a bunch of people’s lives and marriages. All while failing to reduce teen pregnancy best I can tell. My church actually had MORE teen pregnancies during that era then they did when they just didn’t talk about sex. We went from having none to having, like, half a dozen in. 3 or 4 year period of time and then it turned out the two men who were pushing all this stuff the hardest were cheating on their wives because of course. And in those cases with teen pregnancies, they made all of those kids get married. None of whom were still married by age 25. Evangelicals spend SO much energy focused on sex and to what end? What do they think they’re making better? How many lives do they have to ruin to...whatever it is they think they’re trying to do. dunno. Sorry for the rant.

5. Unsure77

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry. I need to be looking forward and not back. Looking back isn’t going to get me anywhere good.

6. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think it does us well to dwell in the past but that doesn't mean we can't look back and use what we see as a motivation to propell us forward. Changing our path or our future doesn't mean we have to forget where we came from or where we have been.

Silveroot and Unsure77 like this.
  7. Unsure77

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for being so kind and thanks for being patient with me. Reading everyone else’s similar experiences makes me feel less alone, less foolish, and gives me hope that this can be ok in the end.

Silveroot likes this.
  8. androgynousdog

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    you Will be okay. its not a maybe. just give yourself room to breathe and grow into yourself. youre def not alone op.

Unsure77 likes this.
  9. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think almost everyone here has felt alone etc at some point in their journey. We are all here to help.

Silveroot, sjax0628 and Unsure77 like this.
  10. Unsure77

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, I'm starting to notice that once or twice a week at the gym, I'll see a random woman (inevitably in the free weights area) who is so classically beautiful that I get nervous, my pulse races, and I feel this almost panicked sense of urgency to look away for fear of being caught looking. It's occurring to me that may be the crushes I'm looking for (as far as whether I'm on the ace spectrum or just straight up gay).

It also kind of made me think back... since college or so, when I've seen classically beautiful women, I always just reflexively disliked them on sight (or so I thought). My pulse would race, I would blush, I felt borderline shame. And it was never fair or rational. I always just put it down to "I'm the nerdy band kid and you're something else". I'm starting to wonder if the reality of it wasn't that I was attracted to them and was either trying to label it as something else so I didn't have to face it or that I was attracted them and resented it for the same reason. Disliking a complete stranger on sight for being beautiful was never a rational response.

Then in college, I was in the athletic bands and was always a little uncomfortable playing at the womens' events but kept getting roped into it. Especially volleyball. They had those skin tight shorts and even I admired the view, but just tried to not think about it too much. I couldn't not look because we were supposed to be watching the game and cheering, That was the whole point in us being there to begin with. I had convinced myself that I was uncomfortable going to those games because of the time involved, but.....maybe not so much.

So, maybe those missing years of crushes (especially college) aren't so missing at all. Maybe I was mislabeling some things to avoid them or explain them away. Maybe I am just plain gay.

It does make me wonder how regular attraction feels vs this because I don't think these are women who would give me the time of day. This feels like sort of fantasy crushes. Is regular attraction more subtle or is it something that sort of develops as you get to know someone and interact with them? (as far as attraction for someone you would actually date and develop a relationship with)? I feel like this is the stuff straight kids probably learned in their teens. I'm not sure what attraction is supposed to feel like and I'm not sure I trust descriptions I've read in books and stories since those are likely sort of fantasy, idealized descriptions.

#30 Unsure77, Jan 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    androgynousdog likes this.
  11. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey sounds like you are definitely starting to understand yourself better. The mind is an amazing thing, it can be good and bad. They definitely sound like crushes. You will probably find as you let yourself explore this new found side of you that you will uncover other things you've never noticed until now.
    For me there is attraction that is head turning, like 'omg she is so beautiful I have to take another look', and then there isn't attraction which is much deeper rooted, when you are just drawn to someone because of many aspects about them. I think the more you can relax and allow yourself to explore the feelings you have the more you will find the second kind of attraction.

Unsure77 and Silveroot like this.
  12. Silveroot

Silveroot Guest

I'm very happy for you doing these steps towards self-discovery. I read all these post and can't help but feel that they're all beautiful, in a very humane, fragile kind of way. I grew up in an environment that would be dangerous to accept I'm gay, but I'm gradually letting myself explore this side of me. Heck, I've even felt guilty for having sexual thoughts.

It's never too late. It's too late only when you're dead, so enjoy every breath. I can relate with many things on here, mainly the pain of suppressing, the shame and anger towards one's self. I'm also seeing a therapist, because even though I'm in my mid-twenties, I've lived through a lot of hard things and I want to go beyond merely surviving.

Best of luck!

#32 Silveroot, Jan 30, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2019
    androgynousdog and Unsure77 like this.
  13. TorpedoGrl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Wow, this thread! I spent all of my life dating men. I never really enjoyed sex with them. I did it because I thought that's just the way it was. As I got older and got tired of "faking it" I began to think that I was Asexual. However, I responded to movies that had lesbian themes. I would see photos of a certain kind of woman and I really liked it. There was this androgynous waitress at my favorite restaurant that I would get completely flustered around. I started to read articles, watch videos, find any information to help me figure it out. What I learned is that there are so many orientations and sexual preferences that could apply to me but none of them felt completely right. I'm not afraid that I might be lesbian but I hesitate in labeling myself because maybe it's not that simple. I can't imagine putting myself in a box and just living by that. I want to be open about my sexuality as I move forward on this journey. I believe that religion, mental wiring, sexual fluidity, etc. can all have an effect on how we feel about sex and relationships. For me, it's all about finding the kind of connections with people that feel right. Whether, their just friendships or more.