1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leg shaving: valuable lesson

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by CyclingFan, Sep 8, 2014.

1. SockPuppet

Mainly I like to shave in the tub. Because my hair doesn't grow back all that quickly, I can get away with only doing it once a week or so. So I sit in a bath for a while, letting my skin drink in the moisture, and then loofa, and then shave, always with some form of cream unless I'm just going over an area to catch a couple pesky stray hairs that were missed in the first pass. I was trying a 5 blade Gillette, but found it was too much and I was getting more cuts, so I've reverted to my old 3 blade sensor.

Oh, sort of on topic: I just picked up this shaving soap from Lush called D'fluff. It's kinda pricey, so I'm only going to use it on my face, but omg, I love it. Smells nice, and makes my face feel super smooth!

2. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hm, I always manage to cut myself no matter which way I do it. :lol:

3. AsheTheHuman

I shaved for the first time today and damn does it feel great! Seriously, I feel awesome. I kind of just went all over though :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: It's all a little uneven, but I didn't shave anywhere visual so whatever. I'm still trying to figure it all out.

4. CyclingFan

I used an old fashioned double blade razor, which is what I have been using on my face. I've got that down pretty well. The weight of it works well, but I think I might have been pressing it hard since I'm unused to shaving other areas with it. I usually take three passes on my face when I want an optimal shave, down, and then across in both directions.

This is just so much more surface area, lol.

5. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I have to use nair or an electric trimmer, I get severe razor burn every time I try to shave.

6. IS92

Out Status:
    A few people
    Nair does tend to smell a little chemical-y, and it does burn if you leave it on for too long. But only if you leave it on too long. Oh, and if you have any open cuts/scrapes/etc, don't get it anywhere near them. That hurts like a bitch.
    Otherwise, it does tend to get the job done, and from what I've seen, the results last a little longer than with shaving.

7. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Both my partner and I shave upward. Did you use soap or some kind of lubricating something?

Also, it's possible to get folliculitis from shaving...little bumps and burning can indicate just that. If it continues or gets worse, talk to your doctor.

8. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've always shaved both down and up, kind of like erasing the hair off my body. The only times I get anything bad is when I get way too OCD about it, and I cut deeper than any human should :/

9. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    ^This.

I've used waxing pads and tried gels, but old fashioned always worked best for me.

10. stormborn

same :lol: i'm too clumsy for razors.

11. Chef

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Up myself, better shave also I use shampoo or body wash, works great but use a new rasor

12. CyclingFan

I did use shaving soap, the same stuff I use on my face.

It does seem to be getting better, thankfully.

I did shave them once before several months ago without this issue, and I did think I shaved up at least for part of them. I think I might have needed a fresh blade and/or put too much pressure/used the wrong angle as I'm not used to shaving there. The old style razor works great for my face, but you have to use a consistent 30 degree angle.

Hopefully I can give this another try soon. Thanks for all the help everyone

13. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Shaving tips
    1. Use a men's razor.(Women's always shred/gash my legs.) Buy a good brand not generic.
    2. Shave after you've been in the shower for a bit.
    3 use body wash/shaving cream
    4. Shave up slowly . Not too much pressure.

14. Awesome_trans_girl13

Out Status:
    All but family
    Whenever i shave my legs they always have little short bristly hairs and it feels like sandpaper