1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leg ache

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Dantir, Oct 7, 2007.

1. Dantir

Everytime I sit, usually my left leg (my right leg is fine) starts aching or straining. I can't really describe how it feels, but if my leg isn't streched out it starts to hurt. The longer I leave it to hurt the more intense it gets. It's really troublesome if I'm at school or just generally sitting by the computer (which is often) and I don't know how I can go about it.

I've had it I think about a year now, but it's only the past few months or so where it's become more noticeable.

Any advice would be gladly appreciated. :grin:

2. EthanS

EthanS Guest

Hmm i sumtimes got dat on my butt too^_^, but i thinks its bcoz i dont do enuf excercise

3. Bryan

When I put on too much weight, or dont exercise that happens to me

4. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I wonder whether it is something to do with the blood circulation to that leg?

I have problems with my right thigh if I am sitting for some time and not using my leg, such as when I am a passenger in a car. If I'm driving it's fine. I also had the problem quite badly last time I was in a plane, which was before the DVT stuff was made public. For me, if I can walk around for a few minutes every couple of hours it's reasonably OK.

Does it help at all if you move your leg around from time to time while you're sitting; bending the knee, pressing the foot down to the floor etc? That's the sort of thing I do if I am in a car for a long time, and it does help a bit.

It sounds like yours is worse than mine, and it also sounds like it is getting worse. Hopefully JayHew will be along with his expert opinion soon, but I think a visit to the doctor would be a good idea.

5. JayHew

In Loving Memory Regular Member

Would depend on how you are sitting and how long it takes for the pain to develop. If you sit upon you leg and after about 10 min. or so you get pain, I would say there is a definite cut off in circulation. Next question would be any history of injury to leg. If you have developed a bruise in the tissue (blood in the tissue) you can develop pain without movement that is an ache in nature, as soon as you move it, goes away.

Those older and develop pain with walking, especially in the calves, need to have that checked out as it sounds like Intermittent claudication is a cramping sensation in the legs that is present during exercise or walking and occurs as a result of decreased oxygen supply. This cramping usually occurs in the calf, but may also occur in the feet. When intermittent claudication is discussed it is measured by the number of "blocks" (e.g. 1 or 2 blocks) one can walk comfortably. It often indicates severe atherosclerosis. One of the hallmarks of this clinical entity is that it occurs intermittently. It disappears after a brief rest and the patient can start walking again until the pain recurs.

Intermittent claudication in and of itself is often a symptom of severe atherosclerotic disease of the peripheral vascular system. Claudication derives from the Latin verb claudicare, "to limp."
    Contents
    [hide]

* 1 Signs
    * 2 Treatment
    * 3 Epidemiology
    * 4 See also

[edit] Signs

The following signs are general signs of atherosclerosis of the lower extremity arteries:

* cyanosis
    * atrophic changes like loss of hair, shiny skin
    * decreased temperature
    * decreased pulse
    * redness when limb is returned to a "dependent" position

All the "P's"

* Increase in Pallor
    * Decrease in Pulses
    * Perishing cold
    * Pain
    * Paraesthesia
    * Paralysis

[edit] Treatment

In patients who smoke, smoking cessation is the most effective treatment. Exercise can improve symptoms as do medication to control the lipid profile, diabetes and hypertension. Surgery is only indicated in severe cases with limb-threatening ischemia or lifestyle-limiting claudication. The vascular surgeon will perform an endarterectomy of leg arteries or an arterial bypass. Angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors, beta-blockers, antiplatlet agents (ASA and clopidogrel), pentoxifylline and cilostazol are used for the treatment of intermittent claudication. Low molecular weight heparin (LMWH), oral anticoagulants (warfarin), vitamin E or chelation therapy is not effective.

[edit] Epidemiology

Atherosclerosis affects up to 10% of the Western population older than 65 years and for intermittent claudication this number is around 5%. Intermittent claudication most commonly manifests in men older than 50 years.

[edit] See also

* Atherosclerosis
    * Peripheral artery occlusive disease

For someone as young as Dantir is I a not as worried as it is more mechanical, but with someone Paul's age and higher, there are other things to consider. As in all conditions, it it persists, have it checked out.

6. Louise

I would definately get it checked out if is getting worse. There might be some quite simple remedy but the longer the condition lasts the more damage you could be doing.

Talk to your mum and ask her to make an appointment with the doctor, that's what he is there for, it will set your mind at rest and make your leg better! :eusa_doh:

7. Dantir

Well it's not getting worse, it just happens more often. It helps when I stretch my leg out, which probably lets the blood flow and then I'm okay. As long as I know why it's happening then I'm not as bothered. If it seems to get worse though I'll go see the doctor.

Thanks guys. :grin:

8. Jim1454

Do either of you keep your wallet in your back pocket? I found that sitting on my wallet caused my hips to be out of alignment and caused all kinds of problems. I now carry my wallet in my front pocket!

9. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

No, I don't put anything in my back pocket.

I don't get the cramps when walking or using the leg, only when it is still for some time while sitting. So it doesn't bother me normally as at work although it is a desk job I am up and about enough to never have problems. It is just when I have no choice but to remain sitting such a passenger on a long car journey. So it doesn't fit JeyHew's second paragraph.

I also have problems with the knee on that leg becoming sore and a bit stiff when I am tired. Again though exercise doesn't seem to bother it directly - it comes about if I am very tired and again to some extent if with inactivity.