1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Learning New Hobbies

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by skloorrpt, Aug 3, 2022.

1. skloorrpt

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    How do you guys stay motivated when learning new things? I'll usually try something out, and then get impatient or discouraged when I'm not immediately good at it. I know it takes practice to get good at anything, but even if it's something that genuinely interests me it seems so daunting knowing that I'll have to put days or weeks or months of practice in just to get to a place where I won't feel like everything I do is shit. It makes it difficult to stay motivated and put in the effort. Then I start to wonder if I'm actually as interested as I thought I was.
    I wonder if its just a combination of ADHD, self esteem issues, lack of motivation or something. I suppose it doesn't help that I'll watch tutorials or videos of people I admire and I feel like I'll never be as good as them, or even as good as I'd like to be. I'm feel like I'm kind of behind when it comes to a lot of this. Never really took the time to find my own hobbies when I was younger, usually just played and still do play way too many videogames. Now that I'm older and (supposed to be lol) more of an adult I feel like it will be impossible, or at least much harder to find things I'm passionate about and stick with them.

2. Aeolia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    what works for me is to immediately get myself involved with whatever hobby I seek to learn about's community.

what kept me dancing was the hours I spent on forums asking questions and reading long ass threads. Until it became a true passion.
    what kept me into following the NBA or Wrestling was getting involved in youtube comments, having a few people to talk with after every match or show.
    you keep learning from people who know better and get the instant satisfaction of understanding it better on your next attempt. Which puts you in a loop of satisfaction and getting more into it.

I'm way more on the introvert side of the spectrum (as in, talking to people is nice but it's an effort) and I tend to choose why and when to reach out to other people. It's a great feeling to have your interactions based on something that brings you satisfaction.

Do you have any hobby you'd like to get into and find cool from afar ?

3. Purple Yoda

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I recently became very interested in photography as a hobby.
    My problem is that I reached a certain point - and now need to really invest time and money into it to take it to the next level.
    Life is always getting in the way of course, but I'm taking baby steps.
    Honestly it is really great to find passion in life for something, and I recommend that EVERYONE find a hobby that they enjoy!

4. Verity m

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow I like doing photography but Im pretty bad at it, drawing is more my thing

5. Isbjorn

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just started making bracelets. Mainly because I got frustrated that there is very little selection for big men. Most decent designs I find the largest they go is 8.5 inches, and average 7 inches. My wrists measure 8.5 inches tight, so I learned how to make them and am having a blast making my own and improving my technique and the quality. If I get good, I will probably open a small Etsy shop that caters more to Bears and or big men.

6. Redmelon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am not sure if I am of any help regarding sticking to a hobby and becoming proficient at it. I have tried, knitting, macrame, writing picture books to a novel and all in between, drawing, cake decorating and jewellery making, diamond painting. I get immersed, buy everything I can and then slow down. Life takes over, I have no more time then its off to the next thing. I did however gain a qualification in cake decorating, sugar flowers and pastille in the course of a year. I even baked a few wedding cakes and children's cakes. Ultimately, I lost interest, its expensive and when you practise and food can go to waste. Jewellery making was fun, soldering, beading, etc, but the pandemic put a stop to that. While others found their callings I supervised homeschooling and had no time. I am looking to start up again. I still haven't found something I am completely in love with but as long as I am haven fun I think that is what counts for me.

7. Redmelon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think that you are on to something. When I first started jewellery making, a parent saw the bag I took to class and wondered if I could make him a larger man bracelet out of gold links because he could never find anything to fit his wrist, they were either too thin and delicate for him, or they wouldn't fit.

8. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It took for me finding things that I enjoyed even if I wasn't good at them. I felt the same about lots of hobbies, I had to pressure myself to do them. And then I found out that I do sports all the time and get better at them, because I assumed I'm going to be bad at them and enjoyed them regardless. Same thing with learning Japanese. I don't hope to be good at it, because it's tough to learn, but I enjoy learning about Japan and its culture.

9. Phil0110

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My hobby is 3D printing, I even purchased a new printer Creality Ender 5 Pro 3D Printer, it's more powerful than my previous one. I made my first item

Attached Files:

#9 Phil0110, Feb 16, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2023
  10. Loves books

I knit sometimes but usually on and off. I mostly do it in front of the tv to occupy my hands so I don’t eat. I ve never made anything more complicated than a scarf but I have multicoloured wool that I like to use. I tried crochet. I figured out what to do but my execution was the problem. My hobbies my whole life have been reading and daydreaming and most people find them boring. I’ll never forget how surprised I was that not everyone enjoyed reading.

11. FireFox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wow, that is some detail :slight_smile:

12. Kally

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been trying to find some small hobbies that interest me but I can't really find something and if I do it's usually too complex. Kind of like how knitting is a relatively easy and simple hobby but I can't find anything simple that interests me. Does anyone have any suggestions?

13. Lo The Froggo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    bracelet making is a hobby that can vary in complexity so that's an option. I sometimes just liked to doodle and draw, even if you have like no artistic ability like me (I'm sure you do) it can still be enjoyable to draw.

14. Kally

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have tried making rubber band bracelets but I started running out of colors. T-T