1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Last book you read?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Wander, May 1, 2009.

1. baklangpinoy26

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    the last book i read was called America Is In The Heart, story of the struggles a filipino immigrant experiences coming to america in the 1920's

2. Martee

Martee Guest

The Night Strangers by Christ Bohjalian.

The book's focal point is about a door in the corner of an unfinished basement of a Victorian house in northern New Hampshire. What makes this door intriguing and eery is that it has been sealed shut with 39 6-inch-long carriage bolts. Don't read at night if you're alone and spook easily :wink:

3. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Point Omega. Though I ended up spreading it out over a few days, at 117 pages it more or less went by rather swiftly. So much so, I might consider re-reading it before returning it to the library since admittedly it was a bit beyond my understanding [embarrassed to say I understood it better reading the Wikipedia article on it, though obviously it was in the form of a personal review, than I did while reading it.] :\

4. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Finished re-reading The Ghost Writer [Philip Roth novel, not connected with the film] yesterday, first time having done so since I read it back when I was in high school. It was weird, 'cause I actually haven't really reread anything before [maybe one or two books so far,] similar to the feeling I get after revisiting a film I'd seen only once a long, long time ago. Anyway, it's definitely one of my very favorite novels. Only a hundred and eighty pages divided into four chapters. Like how the first three each focus on one character and do variations on the various themes within, then the final chapter brings them back together, though they're sort of left in the air still, for the conclusion.

Since I've only read two Roth novels so far, I'd like to get back into his work this year but goddamn there are too many books (Haha.)

5. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I just finished two recently. I read Joan Rivers' I Hate Everybody Starting with Myself which was funny in parts, but I didn't read it all in one sitting because it honestly got annoying and repetitive after a while. It was an alright book.

The other book I read was amazing, and it's called The Fall by Ryan Quinn. It's sort of like The Rules of Attraction. It follows three college seniors during their last school year. There's Ian, who is a gay tennis player. Haile, a talented musician. And then there's Casey, who is a football player. It was so fresh and the writing is some of the best I've ever came across. I would definitely recommend it. If you have a Kindle, (that's how I read it) you can get it for $2 in the Kindle Store...

6. Neutrality

The last book I read was "The Theory of Money and Credit" by Ludwig von Mises, unless you count comics books! If you do then the last one was Astonishing X-Men #51 where North Star marries his boyfriend Kyle ^^.....soo nerdy.

7. Lewis

This isn't the last book I've read, but I'm succumbing to reading '50 Shades of Grey'. :wink:

8. Just Passing

Bit of a lazy reader and I have a massive backlog to get through, but I last read Tarzan of the Apes (1914) by Edgar Rice Burroughs over December 2011 and January 2012 and that was a Christmas present from 2006. As someone who is only familiar with Disney's Tarzan, this was a bit of a departure from that film in terms of tone (the book is much darker and psychological based), but I really enjoyed it, though some of the casual racism is a light bit uncomfortable to read in a modern world.

And of course, nothing like hearing exotic details of a mostly naked man swinging through a jungle. :wink:

9. Last book I read was Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, was a bit underwhelmed to be honest. After hearing about how funny it was and generally life changing I expected a tiny bit more. I found most of the humour to be bland and kind of childish. If anyone is looking for TRULY funny writers I strongly recommend Kurt Vonnegut (Found most of the book to be ripping him off.) or Hunter S. Thompson. (Very wild and crazy author but no one makes me laugh like he does.)

10. Sherri

Ergh, I hate being an adult! I don't ever get time to read as much as I'd like to.

I think the last thing I read was Sing You Home by Jodi Piccoult. I'm currently trying to get through The Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy.

11. vyvance

The Law of Nines by Terry Goodkind.

12. BajanBoy13

Right now im reading Jessie J's Kinda-Autobiography it's amazing!

13. DrummerGirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    The last book I finished was "Beastly" by Alex Flinn and I'm currently reading "I Am Number Four" by Pittacus Lore.

14. Gen

Gen

Harry Potter lol. I have always been a avid reader, but I never could bring myself to read it as a child. So now I figured that since I'm writing in YA Fiction I better stay "hip" :C. lol

But my last real reads were Paper Town By John Green and 13 Reasons Why By Jay A. Both of which are in my opinion vastly overrated. I had high hopes for both in the begining of each, but both became seriously anti-climatic.

The woes of the Young Adult genre.................. >_>

15. SkyDiver

Secret Life of Bees - Sue Monk Kidd

16. Mercuree

'Cell' by Stephen King

Starts off as what looks like his first foray into the digital aspects of our world today, nearly stopped reading, but he actually does it pretty well. And indirectly calls Neal Stephenson "a god" which just makes him so much more awesome as Neal Stephenson is truly a god! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

17. cenedria235

With Caution J.L. Langley (great m/m shifter romance series)

18. farah

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Firefighter by Radclyffe - & it was so bad.. I kept reading it with the expectation it was going to get better since well it's RADCLYFFE! I read it all anyway.

19. Gen

Gen

I love that book/movie. They were both good and sad :frowning2:.

20. SkyDiver

I have yet to see the movie but I thought the book was phenomenal. It was sad, but I'm just glad there's a happy ending. Sorta. :slight_smile: