1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just something I wonder about.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Zade, May 22, 2018.

1. Zade

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Being an older woman (ok, ancient) I wonder how younger women feel about talking to me. When I meet someone either online or when I'm out and about I'm afraid they will think I'm hitting on them. That really freaks me out and I'm sure it freaks them out even more!! I just don't know many my age and I enjoy the exuberance and frankness of the younger generation. So fearless when it comes to who they are. And I do know this is a generalization. I'm not a touchy feely person, not in the least bit suggestive or flirty. So my question is, does it make you uncomfortable when an older woman starts a conversation with you? Do you feel like you are being hit on? And if you do, what can be done to make it less creepy?

2. kkou

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi @Zade !
    I don't think I would find it weird unless an older person deliberately made it seem like they were younger or my age (which, clearly, you're not!) I would feel uncomfortable if they were sending clearly flirtatious and/or sexual messages, but I think the reasons behind that are pretty obvious. In general, I'd feel uncomfortable if any stranger communicated that way to me online, especially if they were older than me (even by a few years- I'm 15, that's why.)
    I don't find anything odd or uncomfortable at all about talking to older people in person. Even if I find out she's lesbian, it would never, ever occur to me to think that she would be hitting on me. If anything, it would make me want to talk to her more and to hear about her experiences and advice.
    I don't think you have anything to worry about, Zade! You mentioned you're not suggestive or flirty, so there's no reason why I would find you "creepy." In fact, you seem like a very kind woman.
    My views could be a bit different from other people's because of my age. However, I think that no matter what age someone is, it's wrong to assume that they're interested in you or hitting on you just because of their sexuality, anyways. It's quite selfish to go around thinking that way.

#2 kkou, May 22, 2018
    Last edited: May 22, 2018
  3. Zade

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for your reply kkou! You are very well spoken for your age. Well, any age for that matter. I hope others share your feeling about this, but I don't think so. And truthfully, maybe they shouldn't. Especially someone so young. The world is not always a nice place. Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'm very impressed!

4. Biguyjosh

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It doesn't bother me when older people talk to me.

5. Zade

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    But Biguyjosh, do you feel like you are being hit on? Or do you just assume they are being friendly?

6. Kyrielles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me it wouldn't make me uncomfortable to just be having a conversation with an older person or any person for that matter. As someone mentioned above it would make me uncomfortable if they were being obviously flirtatious or touchy and again the age isn't a factor, the same would apply to all genders and ages. (my age is late twenties btw).
    *Also all conversations in person are slightly uncomfortable for me due to social anxiety, but I manage it well, and I feel like no one ever notices. haha

7. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Some older people are fun to talk to, and I mostly get on with people who are a bit older than me.

Although it would be creepy to me if anyone over 30 was to flirt with me (I'm 20).

#7 Secrets5, May 23, 2018
    Last edited: May 23, 2018
  8. Limiteded

Limiteded Guest

I’m 45 and I’m finding it doesn’t bother me to be approached by someone older.

9. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love talking to older people - most of them are much nicer than my generation (I'm 21) and they have so much life experience and advice to share. It's not uncomfortable in any way and I don't feel like I'm being hit on. If anything when they're friendly it feels like being teased by a grandparent not flirting.

I did have a very uncomfortable experience when I was 14 though. An older woman around her 50's I was sitting next to at a movie theater got really inappropriately flirty with comments and touching. I don't know if she was a pedophile or just lonely but she kept doing things like trying to rub my thigh/groin area during the movie in the dark which was really scary for a kid there alone and yea it made me creeped out being around older people for a few months after that.

So basically you're fine as long as you don't get overly touchy with younger people.