1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just full of problems this evening

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by travelinsoul21, Apr 21, 2010.

1. I'm feeling stuck again. Really badly. I feel great that I've come out to my mother today. But today, it hit me how being a gay man here is impossible. Not much of a gay scene or anything. The place I'm wishing i could move to is about 2 hours away. It's a major metropolitan area and its so much better than where I live now. I'm going to be starting school someplace this fall, but I can't support myself that well due to the fact that I have a car payment and will be going to school full time. What can I do to make my dream a reality?

2. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well so long as your parents are willing to cosign, there are always loans... that's how I afford to live in the city...

3. I'm going to take a look at it. I will be doing at least a semester here then I'll try and transfer

4. Jim1454

You don't need to be immersed in 'the scene' all the time. I don't live in a great place either - but downtown is about 45 minutes away. I go down every few weeks or so - because I don't feel a need to do so more often than that.

But if you have a car, then make it a point to go to this particular city on a Saturday night. Invite a friend to go with you - whether they're gay or not - and go. Check it out. You'll feel good for doing it - and essentially get your 'fix' for a while. Then go back to school, study hard, make good friends - gay or straight - and make the best of it.

You have a long life ahead of you. Where you're living right now might not really be that important. Getting an education and finishing without a mountain of debt is actually a really good thing. So think long and hard before you go out on a limb and move.

5. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    sit down with a pen and paper and work out a budget, see if it IS possible for you to move there.

6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The basic question it usually boils down to is "how bad do you want it?"

I wanted to break into my chosen field REALLY badly. And then I finally got offered a job. Where? Here:

[​IMG]

That's three hours from Albuquerque, the next "big town". And at 40,000 people, it wasn't exactly a booming metropolis. They offered me $600 a month. I had no car. And I had just come out of the closet, so moving there would almost certainly mean putting a hold on the sex life for awhile.

I took the job.
    Best decision I ever made.

Lex