1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just came out...feeling overwhelmed

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by canadaman, Feb 9, 2014.

1. canadaman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm 27 (almost 28) and I came out to my very best friend in November and to my parents a week ago...felt pretty good about it for the most part...In the last 2 days I came out to 9 people very close to me (my brothers and sister in law, cousins, and a couple very close friends). I am feeling very overwhelmed right now...I know that I want to come out and thought that it would be a good thing to come out to all those people sooner than later but am now feeling anxious about it all.....Everyone had positive reactions but I still feel overwhelmed about the fact that so many ppl know now....to top it all off i made out with a guy (first guy ive ever kissed before) at a bar friday and my good buddy saw this happening.....now i feel awkard....please someone give me advice and tell me everythings going to be ok!!

2. UK_guy

Hi congratulations on coming out to so many people :slight_smile:. I felt overwhelmed after coming out to the few people I have so far it will seem not so overwhelming soon just take things as they come but don't feel you have to rush and try and do everything just try things you're happy to do at your pace.

3. canadaman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks 123guy! I feel like I took on a lot all at once but there are 3 more ppl in my life that I feel should know just as much as the ppl I've already told....I'm going on a snowboarding trip with them all next weekend...I just don't know whether to tell them before the trip or wait...On one hand I feel that if I wait they will hear it from someone else but again I don't want to overwhelm myself even more.....life is hard!

4. duende84

Hi there and welcome to EC!

Everything will be okay :slight_smile: you are fortunate to have been able to have the inner strength and courage to come out to the people you care about.

And making out with a guy... in public... its a new experience and it can certainly be a bit overwhelming. But I'd day you are doing rather good.

:slight_smile:

5. UK_guy

That's no problem I'm glad I helped if you ever want to vent feel free to leave a message on my wall :slight_smile:. Whatever you decide is best for you I'm sure you will make the right decision for you it depends on how you're feeling. You don't have to come out to these people now if you don't feel ready do it when you feel comfortable.

6. CthulhuFhtagn

Half an hour out from the middle of nowhere.
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Don't feel awkward! This is who you are! I'm so happy that you came out, but don't let nerves stop you now! Besides, like my signature aptly points out, if they react badly then you probably shouldn't have them in your life. I doubt they will though; people generally know how to pick friends for themselves. It may feel really nerve racking to tell people, but it always feels so much better afterwards! (And trust me: I know about nerves. I used to be one of those really conservative Catholics. Let's just say coming out for me was pretty scary.)

I hope that I helped, and that you keep on being awesome and wonderful! Don't sweat it! (*hug*)

7. canadaman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for the welcome to EC duende84!! and also for telling me that everything will be okay!

And thank you CthulhuFhtagn for the advice! I am who I am and I truly wouldn't choose to be someone else over being me!

8. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It all feels like a lot at once, especially when you come out somewhat later in life. It almost feels to me like I'm going through a delayed adolescence so all the emotions and hormones and everything are going crazy all over the place. Everything you've said sounds completely normal, and congrats on getting to the point where you are! Now we'll just have to agree to disagree about who's going to win the gold medal in hockey :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. canadaman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i hear you on the delayed adolescence! although i truly don't think of myself as too much "later in life" lol but you are right - in an ideal world i would have done this 10 years ago!! thanks for the congrats , SemiCharmedLife! and go canada go! LOL

10. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    First of all, agreed with GO CANADA GO!

Second, congrats on coming out! I'm also 27 and still completely in the closet so I'm definitely a little envious of you. I know you're feeling overwhelmed right now, but it's a huge moment and I hope once it really sinks in that you're able to enjoy having that weight lifted off your shoulders.

With that said, you're not obligated to come out to everyone all that once, immediately get into a relationship, or force yourself to do anything you're not comfortable with. I know when I eventually come out (I hope...) I'll probably take a couple of weeks to just relax and let my new-found freedom sink in.

You've got through the hardest part for most people, and that's telling your family and your closest friends. You're in a great position if you want to keep that momentum going and be open with all of your friends now, but there's no harm in waiting a bit either. This should be a really happy, exciting time for yourself so try to enjoy it. :slight_smile:

11. canadaman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks, mbanema! your words are appreciated! I think i am just going to try to take the mindset that if the right opportunity comes up and I feel ok to tell others at that time then i will...if not then I won't until I feel more comfortable...good luck to you on your coming out journey as well!! :slight_smile:

12. Julieno

Congrats on coming out to so many people. The good thing about being already out to some people is thatnow you can be happier with yourself and tell everyone that you thinthat should know it whenever it feels like a good moment.

Anyway enjoy your new freedom, it feels really nice! I am also on the group of the late teenagers! We should found it and discuss flirting tactics :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13. canadaman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks Julieno!! I guess I will slowly feel more comfortable and less overwhelmed with the fact that I've told all these people now...late teenagers indeed but I think your 20's are for figuring out life and what you truly want!!