1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

June ebooks on sale

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by zeroth, Jun 13, 2019.

1. zeroth

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello all!

Here is a list of the June ebook deals available from Amazon (for their Kindle platform) that are LGBT+ related in some way. If you already have an Amazon account you just need the Kindle app on your device to read the ebooks. Some $$ in your gift card balance helps too.

There's quite a few titles, I'm not sure if that's because it's Pride Month or not. There might be less next month, we'll see.

All of these titles should all be less than US$4 for the rest of the current month. Some titles (where noted) might return to regular price sooner than that. (Not sure if these are the same prices for non-U.S. Amazon storefronts.)

I put the link after the title and author in case people are wary of the links and want to highlight and search the title/author directly.

I tried to add a little summary or whatever for each title but it's best to find fuller summaries elsewhere for more details.

Has anyone read any of these?

Fiction
    • The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach link
      The gay character is the main character's friend.
    • Bitter Eden by Tatamkhulu Afrika link
      About World War II POWs, written by a World War II POW. Fiction but autobiographical.
    • Call Me by Your Name by Andre Aciman link
      I'm sure you've heard of this one by now.
    • Desert Boys by Chris McCormick link
      Short stories.
    • Edinburgh by Alexander Chee link
      A childhood incident haunts the main character.
    • The End of Eddy by Edouard Louis, translated by Michael Lucey link
      French writer, another one that is fiction but autobiographical.
    • The Family Man by Elinor Lipman link
      Comedic novel.
    • Funny Boy by Shyam Selvadurai link
      Coming of age in Sri Lanka during the Tamil/Sinhalese conflicts.
    • Guapa by Saleem Haddad link
      Takes place in the U.S. and an unnamed country in the Middle East. DEAL PRICE MAY EXPIRE BEFORE END JUNE!
    • Happiness, Like Water by Chinelo Okparanta link
      Short stories.
    • The House of Impossible Beauties by Joseph Cassara link
      Takes place during the Harlem ball scene of 1980.
    • The Impossible Lives of Greta Wells by Andrew Sean Greer link
      Greta Wells starts to live through alternate realities in different time periods (her twin brother is gay).
    • Orlando: A Biography by Virginia Woolf link
      It says biography but it's a novel about a character that lives hundreds of years and switches genders multiple times. Also a movie with Tilda Swinton.
    • The Persian Boy (Alexander the Great series Book 2) by Mary Renault link
      This is not the beginning of a series but it's about Alexander the Great, who was bisexual, but not sure how much that figures into this novel.
    • What Belongs to You by Garth Greenwell link
      Multiple award winner.

Young Adult Fiction
    • Ash by Malinda Lo link
      Described as an updated lesbian take on Cinderella.
    • Been Here All Along by Sandy Hall link
      Boy falls for the boy next door.
    • If I Was Your Girl by Meredith Russo link
      Won a bunch of awards and accolades.
    • Queens of Geek by Jen Wilde link
      Australian friends travel to a fan convention in California. Hilarity ensues?
    • Someday This Pain Will Be Useful to You by Peter Cameron link
      18 year old deals with growing up, living in New York, and a crush on an older guy.
    • When the Moon Was Ours by Anna-Marie McLemore link
      This one sounds trippy.
    • You Know Me Well by David Levithan and Nina LaCour link
      Mark's in love with a boy, Kate's in love with a girl. Their sudden friendship will be important in ways they couldn't imagine.

Non-fiction
    • And the Band Played On: Politics, People, and the AIDS Epidemic, 20th Anniversary Edition by Randy Shilts link
      Harrowing chronicle of the beginning of the AIDS epidemic.
    • The Cooking Gene: A Journey Through African American Culinary History in the Old South by Michael W. Twitty link
      Author is gay but not sure if this book includes anything about that.
    • (Don't) Call Me Crazy: 33 Voices Start the Conversation about Mental Health edited by Kelly Jensen link
      Seems like an interesting book about mental health.
    • Making Gay History: The Half-Century Fight for Lesbian and Gay Equal Rights by Eric Marcus link
      Title explains itself.
    • Stonewall: The Riots That Sparked the Gay Revolution by David Carter link
      Title explains itself.
    • Secret Historian: The Life and Times of Samuel Steward, Professor, Tattoo Artist, and Sexual Renegade by Justin Spring link
      Biography of someone that sounds really interesting.

Memoir
    • Dry: A Memoir by Augusten Burroughs link
      Another memoir by the guy who wrote Running with Scissors (which was made into a movie).
    • Lust & Wonder: A Memoir by Augusten Burroughs link
      He sure does write a lot of memoirs.
    • Running with Scissors: A Memoir by Augusten Burroughs link
      The one that started it all!
    • I Left It on the Mountain: A Memoir by Kevin Sessums link
      Sequel to Mississippi Sissy (see below). DEAL PRICE MAY EXPIRE BEFORE END JUNE!
    • Mississippi Sissy by Kevin Sessums link
      Southern memoir of growing up in 1960s Mississippi.
    • Dangerous When Wet: A Memoir of Booze, Sex, and my Mother by Jamie Brickhouse link
      This isn't the only memoir of someone from Texas with a mother that is quite a character.
    • Hiding Out: A Memoir of Drugs, Deception, and Double Lives by Tina Alexis Allen link
      A Maryland girl growing in a 1980s Catholic family realizes she likes girls but is shocked to find out she's not the only gay one in her family.
    • Jimmy Neurosis: A Memoir by James Oseland link
      Among many food related things, he was a judge on Top Chef.
    • Master of Ceremonies: A Memoir by Joel Grey link
      Well known actor from the movie/musical Cabaret (and dad of the girl who was in Dirty Dancing!)
    • The Memoirs of a Beautiful Boy by Robert Leleux link
      Memoir of an east Texas childhood and an eccentric mother.

If you want to find the books on your own, just Google "Kindle Monthly Deals" and once on that page, scroll down and along the left hand side you'll see a whole bunch of subjects, one of them being "Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender eBooks". Be aware, though, that this will only let you see the books that Amazon has categorized as LGBT. A number of books on the list above were found in other categories and not in the LGBT list.

Let me know if you have any questions.