1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Judging based on music preferences

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lovetoomuch, Jan 27, 2016.

1. lovetoomuch

I was talking to my male friends today as I went to buy a Tori Kelly album. I'm not out to them yet and they were saying, "Yeah, you'll hide that album from a girl." It made me start thinking and I'm curious why music preferences are associated with masculinity or femininity; I think this is even more prevalent with men in society.

I don't think I fit many of the gay stereotypes (maybe I do, who really cares). Anyways, I would say if there is one giveaway, it would be my music taste. I like pop-country or acoustic stuff (and some resl country music). My favorite artists are Hunter Hayes, Tori Kelly, Sam Smith, Ed Sheeran, Shawn Mendes, and Chris Stapleton. To most guys, my music would be considered "gay," but my question is why?

I guess the "norm" in today's society (maybe specifically the US) is that men listen to rap (which I hate) or hardcore rock (which I don't mind). But how does music take on a gender? I feel like a girl can like her pop music and her rap music and face little judgement. But the minute a guy likes Taylor Swift or Katy Perry he is gay. I just find it weird and crazy to think about.

I remember being in middle school and high school and trying to hide my iPod from everyone because I was ashamed of my music preferences and didn't want to be ostracized for it. I even remember downloading rap songs sometimes just to fit in. However, over the past few years I don't even care anymore and admit which artists are my favorites.

I honestly believe that the "manly" men have songs they enjoy that would be considered "female-like." I think most of them either download the songs (but don't admit it) or they don't download them just because they fear judgement. A catchy song is a catchy song in my opinion.

Has anyone else noticed this judgement with music? Does anyone else get annoyed by it? I guess it doesn't matter to me because if people assume I'm gay, they are right - lol. I even feel bad for straight men though with different musical preferences because there is an expectation of what men should listen to.

#1 lovetoomuch, Jan 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  2. Justinian20

It's definitely a more guy thing, because I find if you are male and like boy bands you'll be teased by others cause you like music that actually targets a female audience. I'll admit I didn't want people to tease me cause I liked Aqua in high school, so I filled my IPod with rap music completely. Another thing I hated was that half the music I listened to was 80s music.

3. larkcarmen

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes. As a small, feminine person, people find it odd that I listen to rock, dubstep, and occasionally heavy metal. It kind of pisses me off that music is 'for' certain types of people. A few guys I know have been labelled 'gay' for liking pop music. (Although, two are bisexual and I strongly suspect one to actually be gay... not the point.)

4. lonewolf79

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey there...

I agree with you totally. I was judged/bullied in high school because of music and musical tastes. My favourite singer is Celine Dion. I also play the flute (since I was 12) ... both before I even really knew what gay was. When others found outm I got teased to the point of wanting to change schools (I went to a boys only school in South Africa). I have even been teased by other gay guys for my music. Basically now I am like... so what. I like what I like and if others don't, that's fine. I don't trash their music, so don't trash mine. I like heaps of other artists too... like you say .. a catchy song is a catchy song :slight_smile:
    My dad even likes Celine Dion! haha.

Take care man and happy music!

5. armydude

armydude Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Today i got in a vehement argument with an uber-straight redneck from alabama about which song is better "im walking on sunshine" or "do you believe in magic in a young girls soul". He initiated the conversation, and i am believed to be straight as well. So peiple like what they like haha

6. AlamoCity

I listen to about 95% country. I do have a soft soft for Phillip Phillips, though :wink:.

I believe most people are conscious of how the music they listen to affects how they're perceived. Many guys won't admit "girly" stuff they like or will own up to it and say "so what."

When it comes to stereotypes I do believe gay males seem to be disproportionately into show tunes or Broadway musicals or pop or Lady Gaga.

Also, people seem to get judged on their class and intelligence and race based on the music they listen to. It seems people are sometimes surprised when supposedly "smart" people listen to country music.

7. JiminyJordy

JiminyJordy Guest

Hey, no shame in your choice of music! Those are some talented, easy-listening artists you mentioned. I've always had a similar taste. Never even tried the "hard" stuff like metal, rock, or anything where the lead singer has to scream to get his point across. I know plenty on young guys that listen to harder stuff, but it was never my preference. Maybe it does reveal a slight curve in my masculinity, leaning towards a more feminine side.

It's a little annoying. Stereotyping and judgemental attitudes are never fun to deal with. But for you, I believe you feel that way because you're not quite comfortable with you are. If you'll let go of all of those doubts and what-if's then your perceptions of what others think will slowly fade.

8. guitar

I'm a fairly masculine guy and my musical tastes largely reflect that if stereotypes are to be followed. I do have a wide range of musical tastes. Every now & again I'm in the mood for "girly music" like Ayumi, Hanson, or a silly song like All About the Bass. My ex was fairly effeminate and he loved spice girls, Beyonce, Disney princess songs, musicals like Momma Mia. None of that stuff ever really clicked with me. But at the same time I never really thought a particular song was "gay," I just wasn't into a lot of "feminine" music.

As important as music is to me, I can live with my partner having completely different tastes.

9. luke564

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yes yes yes! I agree with this and it actually drives me crazy because I'm totally affected by it.

I was brought up to believe that I had to listen to rock, or aggressive / band music etc - and anything less was unacceptable (sharing a room with an older brother probably had a lot to do with that) - and in hindsight I think that really shaped me.

But music really is just music, Surely it's no different from having a favourite colour or meal? The crazy thing is that there is a whole world of music out there and I find that I've been conditioned to ignore it, I don't think I'd have the confidence to actually go and buy a cd that was "girly" or "pop" - hearing stories of people putting rap on their iPods just to fit in makes me so upset :frowning2:

10. Spiderstalker

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    this is the equivalent to:
    a conservative person will hate rap/dubstep/maybe? (not my genres)
    a religious person hating on heavy metal/hard rock calling it satanic and cultist
    a redneck/homophobic hating a guy that likes trendy pop
    a classic rock only'' hating on pretty much any other subgenre
    and idk what else
    who cares what people think of your music, that happens since the ice age and you might find that most people being ''harsh'' with others music choices are often ''bothered and bewildered'' if you return an opinion on their taste

11. luke564

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I also find myself wondering what sort of music I'd like if it wasn't for those outside influences also, if you could just hit a big reset button and listen to music for the first time all over again, what kind of stuff would you end up liking? It's so intriguing.

12. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, well, according to my music preferences; I party all the time and get drunk. But I'm actually quite sensitive and caring, if you can see past my bad boy image.

At this stage, I'd like to thank folk who mistook me for a Satanist, because it clued me in to how to dress cuter and seemingly innocent lol

I have such similar thoughts!

13. luke564

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
  14. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    People think it's really weird that I love Taylor Swift. According to them I'm too old. It used to annoy me and I would constantly defend myself for it but now I don't care at all.

I once saw a guy on the bus wearing a Katy Perry shirt. I don't want to assume but he looked straight. Regardless of his orientation, I thought "Good for you, buddy!"

15. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I like all sorts of music, it's mainly the lyrics that I go for when looking for a good song, and if I don't like the style, I can go to a cover. For example, I really like the rock version of 'let it go' even though I don't really like the pop version.

16. luke564

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I for one think it's cool, I recently met a guy in his 30's who also listened to Taylor swift (although he was actually gay :slight_smile:

A Katy Perry tshirt - wow, you know I can't even imagine how it would FEEL to wear something like that, it's fascinating but I agree - good for him.

I'm feeling more and more that my personality and inhibitions and everything are the result of my upbringing and I hate that.

17. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My sister makes fun of me for having a few Wilson Phillips songs in my i-Tunes. I can turn around and make fun of her for her huge Taylor Swift collection. Wilson Phillips were never as popular as Taylor Swift, but they weren't cheesier either.
    Just like what you like. People shouldn't judge so much.

18. luke564

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yeah, my problem isn't that I'm too scared to show what I like, I'm just not even sure I know what I like because I was kind of "made" to like the sound of certain music like rock or whatever - because I grew up in a family that was into it

19. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's when you have to forge your own path. Parents try to teach us what they think is best for us but it's usually what they think is best for them. Free yourself and just be whomever you want to be:slight_smile:

20. luke564

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    But how do you do that once you've already been "influenced"?

Do I go to a shop, close my eyes - but a random cd?

Do I buy the latest Taylor swift album?

It's so hard to know!