1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It has been a bad couple of days.

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by oneday004, Dec 15, 2013.

1. oneday004

Hi, everyone,
    Earlier this week I talked about my wives' feelings coming out and how it made me feel sad and at some point kinda sorry to come out. Having thought about it a bit more Im not sorry, it is a process that will have a gamut of feelings and, better days are ahead.
    Last Sunday I attended an affirmed (gay positive) church in my town. I was overwhelmed by the welcome I got from the congregation the first week . I felt so at home and so part of a group that wanted to belong to. This week I went and the response was so cold to me no one talked to me I tried to talk to some members but was shuffled off . I looked for some of the gay people I met last week but could not find any one. I'm not the best conversation starter in the world ,maybe that is some of the problem. I did leave dejected and not wanting to have much to do with this fellow ship. I do want to give it another try cause I think there Is a positive for me there. The good part of the story was the person that was there to dust me off a bit was my wife . She suggested that I call the minister and tell her of my concerns. In saying that I dont blame It all on the congregation, but Im not sure what else to do because of my shyness in new groups of people. Any suggestions will be welcome .:icon_sad:

2. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They are probably just treating you as "normal" and don't realize that you need affirmative comfort at this point in your coming out process to feel welcomed. Give them more time, and talking to the minister is probably a good idea, as she will likely relay your feelings to others in the congregation to let them know you need a more active reception. You might want to go to some of their more social events too, where people are sharing dinner or some other activity, rather than just a formal sermon.