1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Issues with mother

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by animequeen567, Jul 8, 2013.

1. animequeen567

(Warning: this will be long....)

I really want my mom to accept the LGBTQ community. I haven't come out to her and I don't really know when I will or if I will even bother. If I do decide to come out to my family, I want it to be to her first. I'm just stuck between wanting to and not wanting to.

Anyway, I want to make sure that she at least make sure she accepts the LGBTQ community. Problem is I don't really think she does. I know I can't force her to, but it's just that she use to at least be indifferent towards the community. Now lately she's got on this really religious streak. Long story short whenever I mention friends that are of the community she usually cringes. Not for the men of the community though? She doesn't seem to mind men being with other men, but when it comes to same sex attraction between females she really doesn't like it. My mom also cringes at the thought of transgender people. My FtM friend came over once and she wouldn't stop talking about it and cringing (I didn't tell her my friend was transgender, but I think she noticed). I also have a suspicion that she might think bi people don't exist which is a bigger problem for me because I'm pansexual. If she doesn't believe bi people exist then she definitely won't believe pansexual people exist. I don't know for sure that she doesn't believe in people being bi, but I just have a suspicion.

So you can see my problem...I want to talk to her about it, and try to change her opinion. I know I can't force her to. I just feel that if she was so indifferent before that I could maybe change her mind. If she could at least get to know my friends that were openly LGBTQ...She might understand that we are all just normal everyday people. Just because there is one thing different about a person, it doesn't mean that it changes who they are completely!

I started to wear a pan pride bracelet and gay pride bracelet in hopes that she might notice them...because I truly do want to tell her. But I also don't. I am comfortable wearing the bracelets and I don't think she's noticed them. I know she probably won't think anything of the pan pride one because she probably doesn't have the slightest clue what pansexuality is, but...AGH! I don't know what to do!!!! :tears::bang::help: