1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is windows vista really bad?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by total mo, Jul 5, 2008.

1. darkestknight

I have a Vista Business edition and it works ok for me...but the drawback is there's many software that I'm using isn't cooperating with it. :frowning2:

I'll wait until there's more service packs and a shitload of RAM... haha.. :grin:

2. Blaz

Blaz Guest

Here's the thing, Vista's different than what most people are used to. Sure, it takes some getting used to, but once your realize it just require a different way of looking at things its so much easier. In fact, that's what it is, a new way to view things, a new perspective, a new Vista. . .

3. Kylie

Vista is not, as bad as some people would say, however it does have numerous flaws, and down sides. If you have the option, I would stick with XP, or use a Mac.

Vista will offer:

Prettier Graphics (if your hardware will support it)
    Increased security prompts (hey nothing will harm your computer if nothing runs right?)
    A bigger whole in your wallet
    longer product support from Microsoft (as they will discontinue XP in a couple years)
    Search right from the start bar.... (kinda cool but not something you use all the time)
    Driver errors (if the hardware is not meant for vista, it wont work, no back wards support here..... Sound cards especially)

XP offers:

A simpler interface
    Decreased security prompts, but more susceptible to viruses
    Better program compatibility
    Better performance
    increased stability
    Backwards compatible drivers
    A larger user base

Mac OS X offers:

Pretty graphics
    All your hardware will work with it ( of course you have to buy an expensive apple computer..... )
    easy program installation ( Just drag and drop )
    A growing user base
    Boot camp ( Run Windows or Mac OS X )
    Limited about of programs, as they have to be made... for Mac
    An expensive computer
    Expensive OS
    Expensive extended support
    No Viruses

Or I guess you can go with Linux it offers:

Poor out of the box graphics
    Most distributions are free!
    Limited programs
    No Viruses
    A confusing directory structure
    Virtually no support
    almost no games
    Users Can not crash it ( unless they are an admin.... )

Personally I like XP and Mac OS X

4. Micah

I think your problem here is that you're using photoshop elements :wink:

5. Cheese Love

I've run into a lot of compatibility issues with Vista. Overall, it's a pretty a pretty okay system. Don't get me wrong, it looks amazing but XP is still better in terms of reliability.

6. total mo

total mo Guest

The only problem I encountered with vista is that I cannot search for the middle parts of a filename. Like when I enter 'ex' in the query, files named homosexual, wont show up. Try it, it really doesn't work. It will only work if I entered 'ho' in the query, as in the first two letters of homosexual.

Another thing, when I have files i want to delete in the program files folder, its so fucking annoying because there is always something that pops up about a permission or something. When I knew I already deleted a file, it is still showing in the folder, and sometimes i have two files with exactly the same filename in the same folder.

And another thing, I cannot install the hardware for my bluetooth because the laptop I got doesnt come with a bluetooth, so I have to buy it separately. It says something about an incompatibility issue. Will I be able to use other types of hardware for my bluetooth that i can find online, the box says it only works up to xp, there is no vista written there.

I also love the movie wallpapers, the transparency effects, and the aero theme thingy. I think that was the only good thing I saw in vista ultimate.

#26 total mo, Jul 6, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  7. SkyTears

and for the compatibility issue you can change the setting of the program to run as a XP SP2 program and it should work fine

right click -> properties -> compatibility (you should be able to see were to go from there) :slight_smile:

8. Alex

LOL that is so not true, have you ever tried? or just listened to all the bashers using a fresh vista install without SP1?

Nowadays, Vista gets about 200 less points in 3dmark06 which is nothing.

#28 Alex, Jul 6, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  9. total mo

total mo Guest

Did you try what I asked you to do?

10. sexyalex

I tried that with "MapleStory" and it still wouldn't work. In fact with the Halo problem, i had to minimize it and try to run at admin at the same time(never worked), then i close it and run as admin and it STILL said i needed to be admin. I got frustrated and broke it:confused: but somehow i don't have that same issue with customs edition or Halo 2.:grin: they just work.....all i did was install.

11. SkyTears

Well I can play MapleStory on my computer with Vista and it runs fine so I don't know where your problem is at with that. Of course I don't know if you use global (like me when I use to play) or not or if that would even cause an issue.

12. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In order to make something like "homosexual" show up on desktop search when you're looking for "sexual" you have to type in "*sexual". The * means "anything", so by entering *sexual you'd get homosexual, heterosexual, bisexual, asexual etc.

I haven't had any major compatibility issues with Vista. I had trouble with Paint Shop Pro X because it's old, but that's about it.

13. Tom

Tom Guest

I've been using vista for about a year now, the only problem i have with it is game compatibility. some games will work fine with it, but the graphics have to be changed to vista basic and if you play th game for too long or minimize the game then the graphics tend to stay as vista basic and that is really annoying, you can change it back easily enough but sometimes it doesn't stay that way and the next time you turn your comp back on you will be greeted by vista basic, with the smallest screen resolution ever.

i have found everything else about vista relatively easy and straight forward, it will always tell me if i need a different driver to the ones supplied to install hardware, and then it will tell me where i can download it from. the search option from the start menu is helpful, saved me time when searching for coursework that i thought i had handed in and finished months ago but thn they were given back to improve upon and as my filing system on comp sucks i can never find em agen. th search option from the start menu made tht simpler to handle though =]

the sidebar that comes with vista will take up about 3% of a 2GB cpu, but it is helpful and looks pretty when u have your pictures up aswell as upto date weather reports. the aero theme can be disabled when there is no need for it, improving the performance.

personally i do believe that vista is better than XP, maybe this is because ive had vista (home edition) for a while now and i am used to it but i had xp and to be honest the problems i had on xp were the same as problems i have with vista, true xp would run all my games almost faultlessly and vista doesnt but vista does run alot of programs better than xp and these are what i usually use so for me vista is better and it is a good OS.

14. Poring

Wow! I learned something new and helpful today! I bet this will save me hours of searching in the end, thanks :kiss:

15. smilealways

smilealways Guest

hmm this reminds me of moving to xp from win98. lol

anyway, since not all programmes that runs on xp would run on vista, I will install both vista and xp when I get a new computer. Then it should be sweet.

16. i never used to like vista but i think thats cause it's different to XP but as i've gotten used to it, i think its prettier and easier to use in the long run, it just took me a while to get used to it.

17. Techcompu2

i am not saying that it is very bad but i still like xp because I am more used to its setup and components. I like some features on Vista but I like XP a bit better. if you were to compare them side by side, you would find that if you were more adjusted to XP, you would find that they are very different. if XP were to change slightly then gradually getting closer to vista I might like it better. but to me going from XP to Vista is a big jump.

JMP

18. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm pretty sure part of the reason people hate vista is the same reason a lot of people blamed Windows XP for being a "slow unstable piece of shit": FUCKING NORTON SOFTWARE.

Almost every preassembled computer comes preloaded with this bloatware. Even if you don't use it and there's no tray icons for it, it still has processes running in the background eating resources. I uninstalled a Norton preinstalled demo from a friend's computer and it literally cut his boot time in half.

Even though I've since downgraded my computer to XP, I didn't have any major problems with Vista. It really wasn't much slower than XP is. Granted I tweaked both OSes a bit. Also the Vista kernel is more developed than XP and is more stable.

If you have an older system running XP with no problems there's no reason to upgrade, because unlike MacOS, you don't HAVE to shell out $125 clams every year to get the "latest OS" to be able to run the latest programs (save games which need DX10). Even Windows 2000 machines are still very serviceable machines even though technically it's been "obsolete" for 5 years.

Some people complain of Vista being slow or resource hog because it uses a lot of disk space, and there's constant background process activity. While I will admit that the ~16GB footprint is steep, a lot of the background activity (eg: HDD access) is BACKGROUND ACTIVITY and doesn't actually impact the performance of foreground applications. Instead it's doing things like precaching, volume shadow copy, and indexing that actually improve the performance of the machine. I will also like to point out that MacOS by default spends 2GB on printer drivers, and 2GB on langauges. Talk about useless bloat.

I also never really found program compatibility to be a problem. I was running Win3.1, and Win95 era applications without a problem, and compatibility mode / UAC workarounds fixes most application problems. And as far as UAC being "annoying" it actually does the exact same thing MacOS and Linux do, forces users to run as limited access. If it causes problems with applications, it's because the application was poorly written.

As far as hardware compatibility, since I only really recommend running Vista on new computers, new computers are going to be Vista compatible, and properly setup will run well.

I also will point out that even though I run both Vista and XP in classic mode, Vista is prettier.

I also find it funny that even after the main end of selling XP, I still see the following thing in the ads for computers:
    -Dell offering Vista Business machines, preinstalled with XP Pro (Business and ultimate users are entitled to a downgrade)
    -HP selling a mini-notebook "Includes FREE downgrade to Windows XP!"
    Who knew you could be so excited about a DOWNGRADE?

19. SkyTears

haha sorry this reminded me of my computer networking class because we said something like this at least once a week. :roflmao:

20. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow... now tell us what you really think about Macs... :rolleyes:

I use both Windows and Mac machines--they are both good for different things and different people based on their needs/ways of operating.

As for excitement over downgrades, well... there were so many problems with Vista at its rollout, it is pretty exciting to have the option to get the OS version that is less problematic... or at least was less problematic: SP1 seems to have calmed things down. But my personal opinion is that Microsoft prematurely releases their OSes far far too often. When I upgrade my iMac, it doesn't necessarily hoop a lot of major things. It sounds like (from what I've heard) upgrading to Vista caused a lot of major issues for a lot of people and businesses.