1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this normal?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by lonewolf79, Dec 12, 2015.

1. lonewolf79

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi all.
    I am new here. Joined in the hopes of finding answers, friends...
    It has been a lonely journey as a gay man. I have no gay friends back in my own country - basically because I was not (and still am not) into the whole scene of clubs and bars etc. Now, living in Korea, gay is basically invisible and using apps is what they do. I, however do not.
    Originally, I am from Cape Town, South Africa. Been out since 2005. It has not been easy. My family accepted it no question. The problem seems to be in me. I am spiriling out and feeling more and more isolated. I don't go out even to have dinner with coworkers. I have even deleted all the content on my FB profile in the hopes of hiding and fading away... I am going back into some darkness that I do not like but somehow it feels safe - that makes no sense I know... I wish I could be more outgoing but I am an introvert. Totally. I usually never speak to strangers (weird since I live in a country where sometimes have no choice)...

I was recently told that I made the wrong kinds of gay friends... which I can believe since I had nothing in common with them at all. Now I feel more alone than ever and I sometimes regret even coming out at all.

Is this normal to feel so low down? :tears:

Thanks in advance.
    AV

2. Repona

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    First of all.. well 'HI!' I guess is really first. :3

The next first is definitely not; I've felt really down since I came out, but happy about who I was. I finally understood things about me I'd been miserable about for so many years. Still, it made for a lonely life. My wife and I got a divorce, and I only see my one-year-old son once or twice a week. On top of that, I live in a part of America that is not only lacking in a supportive LGBT community, but I could actually be socially cast out if it became very public.

I know how it feels to be that alone, AV. Really, I do. I still have my closest couple of friends. They understand and accept me, but they can't support me in the way I need it with my orientation. There are none here that can. I've come here with the same hopes of making friends and easing a lot of the frustration I have with a future of perceived hopelessness.

Just remember you're not alone. :3 The internet is a fantastic thing, and there will always be kind people to talk to if you look for them. I've only been a member of EC for a few days, but I'm here if you ever need to talk. Glad you've joined us!

3. Ryuji35

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First of all, I don't know if that's normal. But I do understand you since I've been there and is still there too.

In the Philippines (where I live), gays are technically accepted but still ostracized by society. As the only "Catholic Country in Asia," imagine my struggle. Marriage is illegal, media is limiting gay-related themes into those of comedy (since gays here are expected to be funny or making everyone laugh aka a clown) etc etc. and because of that, gays in my country are of low-esteem and lacks a developed personality. They are needy and just wanted pleasure of the flesh, which I tried honestly but it didn't fulfill my needs.

Hence, here I am, dreaming of living one day in the USA to find gay people who wanted to have a relationship rather than just a sexual partner. I also dream of marrying, basking in our love for each other, honor and respect each other until our final days :slight_smile:

But for now, I have to survive in being alone. Because even if it's bleak, even if right now I really feel so hopeless, like I will die alone without experiencing someone loving me in that special way, I am holding on to my faith that God will lead me to the right path, to the right guy.

And for that faith alone, I will wake up every day hoping :grin:

4. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Heyhey! And welcome to EC!

To answer the thread topic: yes, it's normal. In the sense that a lot of us have been there, at one or multiple times. Sometimes things can get to much and it feels like the world is against you and retreating feels like such a tempting option.

And yes, it can be quite a chore finding good friends, let alone GLBT friends. Even in an ostensibly ultra-liberal country like Belgium, I have never found it exactly easy. It took me a fair few years after coming out before finally feeling like I had a somewhat self-sustaining social life.

And on some evenings, I still prefer to have a date with myself, a blanket, the cat, and Netflix. Even when I could be doing a ton of other interesting things or be meeting up with friends.

But whether it's a minor funk, or a full-blown depression, it isn't something you should indulge in too much. Because allowing yourself to become or stay isolated will get you into a depression. Or keep you in one.

Obviously you should't feel obliged to become a social butterfly. And trying to change things all at once is probably too much.

But try to make at least ONE change. Find a reason to go out at least once a week. Dinner with coworkers sounds nice. OR maybe you could join a book club. Or a gym. Or a cooking class. Or a language course. Or an expat social group. Anything that gets you out and in the company of people.

Note how I say "people". Not even necessarily "gay people". Finding gay friends is something you want down the line, but it's good to continuously meet new people with similar interests. Especially if you can be out to them from the start. Build a network. ANY network. Which will in time include other gay people, or give you leads on how to start a gay network.

And, of course, we're here on EC. One of the bigger gay networks online. So do please keep posting. It isn't the same as real, physical interaction. But it can be a good start to finding good friends.
    In fact, I made a few of my best friends on here (though the distance is

So: (*hug*)
    It's never too late, and hope is never futile. You may be feeling down now, but things can and do get better. And you're among friends, here!

5. lastking

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I can relate to you. I kinda feel like I grew up around the wrong group of people. I'm introverted and not really outgoing. I don't have many friends, let alone gay friends. I don't depend on social apps like Facebook and datings apps because I kinda feel like it's a number's game. It hard to find people that I can truly relate to. I'm just not as interested in the latest trend or the social media. I feel like an outsider sometimes but I'm sure there are people out there that I can relate to. I just haven't found them yet.

6. lonewolf79

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for your reply. I admire your faith and hope. I wish I had just a 1/3 of it. I didn't know that being gay in The Philippines was ok (except for the things you mentioned)... I hope you find your happiness and keep your faith alive. Take care.

---------- Post added 13th Dec 2015 at 12:56 PM ----------

Hi... Thank you for your reply. I just joined this site yesterday after lurking and looking months ago. Sounds silly eh.

I'm sorry you only get to see your son a few times. I hope that it will change and then you can spend more time with him.

I still have some close female friends back in my home country (which oddly enough is OK with gays since we legalised gay marriage at the end of 2005 not long after Canada did - we were the first and only country in Africa to do so).
    Here in Seoul, I have 2 close friends - both female. One is my coworker. We sometimes have dinner together. I used to know other expats here but they have since left and we've lost touch. I am not part of any gay community - I simply do not like their behaviour - the bars, clubs, promiscuity etc ... even back home I was never interested.

I, like you, have come here hopefully to make some friends, people who are more like me and have similar interests and who are also not all over the ngihtlife scenes etc. I sound like a prude but hey, this is just me and what I like... LOL...

Thanks again for taking the time to reply and being "here"... nice to meet you.
    AV

---------- Post added 13th Dec 2015 at 01:02 PM ----------

Thank you for your reply. And tips.

Where I come from, being gay is OK and South Africa even legalised marriage back in 2005/beginning 2006. Some areas are still not too OK but generally it's totally fine. I still however never found my footing, my place and I always felt uncomfortable. In Korea - gay is invisible. Which is ok for me since I am so off the radar anyway... still not having friends around here except for 2 people (one female coworker and another female teacher at a different school)... it does get lonely. Horribly lonely.

As I posted, I am not one for using apps. I tried. It failed. Those guys basically only want one thing and I am not like that.

The Expat groups here are too much into drinking and parties and I ...like you...a home with tv or movies. Usually though I have to practice music so that takes up some time too. I used to know some other foreign teachers but they have gone home and we have since lost touch.

I am glad I posted here yesterday. This could be the start of something positive for me.
    Thanks again.

---------- Post added 13th Dec 2015 at 01:09 PM ----------

Hi. Thanks for your reply.

I totally agree with you re the apps. Here though it's a "country and numbers game". It sounds bad but for most guys here (including the foreigners) it's about hooking up with people from different countries - then bragging to their friends. Gross! I hate the apps with a passion!!!!!!!

Facebook I use merely to share some stuff with family. I have so little people on there and most of them now are actually people I knew before I even used FB.
    I am also not into trends etc and using social media all the time annoys me. I just can't be bothered to share everything I do. I like to keep thing private or share with those who matter most.

I hope I can also find people I can relate to.

Thanks again for your reply :slight_smile:

7. lonewolf79

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I forgot to mention that I was actually told here in Korea that I am not "gay enough" (whatever that was supposed to mean) simply because I do not engage in scene activities or events, I don't go to clubs and bars, or sleep around.
    I was shocked. Hurt. It felt weird. I know there is no such thing as "gay enough" but hearing these words still hit home and I felt so strange.

But at least hearing from some of you has given me some hope. I smiled again today :slight_smile: