1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this a good diet + help in losing weight!

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by LondonGirl, Jan 3, 2012.

1. LondonGirl

I eat cereal in the morning before school, around 7. Then all day I eat nothing but I eat the occasional snack. Throughout the day, I drink lots of water, sometimes drink more than 2litres. Straight after school, around 3:30ish, I would eat the same cereal again (sometimes with toast) and plenty of milk. I won't eat anything again until 7 where I eat a meal (the biggest one of the day), with plenty of juice.

Haha my diet seems quite plain, but I'm trying to lose some of my belly fat! I seem to be failing, I dont understand why! I have been eating like this for the past year, but if anything it seems like I have gained weight?

So, this year I have decided to follow the same diet, but drinking more milk and eating fruit regularly when I eat breakfast in the morning and in the afternoon with my cereal+toast. I've also started eating 450g of strawberry yougurt -the large sized ones, in the afternoon. Is this a good idea, or do you think I should eat this in small portions throughout the day instead of eating it in one go?

I have also decided on doing regular exercise after school, but not sure how much I should do daily and if there are any specific exercises I can do to get rid of the fat around my thighs and hips. Is there any way I can lose the fat by choosing what to eat and drink? Even though, I am overweight, I do eat healthily (I think) and limit how many fatty snacks I eat. (I do treat myself on the weekend, by eating crisps and chocolate) :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I've been reading in loads of forums on EC, but I'm not sure what I can do to lost this weight... permanently!! This year, as anew year resolution, I'm on a mission to lose weight!! :slight_smile: hehe :grin:

2. confused102188

I don't think your eating enough during the day. If you take in too few calories your body will store fat. Especially belly fat. You definitely need some sort of healthy lunch. A salad perhaps? Plus some cereals can be high in sugar. Water water water! Can't say that enough! Cut that juice! You'd be surprised to find out how much sugar is in juice. Drink as much water as you can during the day!

3. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    the key to losing weight isn't eatting less, it's eatting better.

You need to look at food for that nature intended it to be: fuel.

you're body is a machine it needs fuel in order to work, if you put dirty fuel (fatty foods) in your car your engine will get gunked up.

You should eat 3-5 times a day. Breakfast is key! It starts your metabolism going and give you energy for the first half of the day. cereal is good (use low fat milk) but it can make you hungry again because it passes through your stomach pretty quick. you can bring a piece of fruit with you and eat it on your way to school.

You might want to bring a granola with you if you get hungry after lunch.

4. Marlowe

I would agree that this diet is a bit worrisome. There are a number of factors that impact body fat:

1) genetic -- even when I am really physically fit I still have body fat around my middle. I am lean if not skinny everywhere except my thighs, butt and stomach. My dad and brother have the exact same problem. (As a side note-- six packs are a genetic rarity that requires almost no fat between the muscle and the skin)

2) Lifestyle -- stress, sleeping habits, impact metabolism thus weight gain -- even something as simple as sitting down for your job as opposed to standing drops metabolism a lot. Eating your big meal close to bed, also is not too healthy. try to consume more calories in the morning and afternoon.

Now for diet: rapid weight loss is not healthy. It is better to maintain a good balanced diet to help you exercise than one that is too low in calories, nutrition, and protein.

Your diet seems to be high in refined carbs. These are generally the least nutritious thing you can eat. Flavored yogurts for instance contain lots of processed sugar and very little nutrients from the fruit itself. Switch to using plain yogurt and fresh fruit. Secondly, as much as people scorn eggs. They are packed with protein and vitamins. Furthermore they contain natural healthy fat needed to absorb certain nutrients. For instance, vitamin D, necessary for calcium absorption is fat soluble meaning that you need fat to absorb it. This is why it is probably best not to drink skim milk, especially since women are at higher risk for osteoporosis -- the atrophying of bone density. Beans are a great thing to pack for lunch. They contain a balance of protein and complex carbs and are high in fiber so they fill you without being highly caloric. You can cook them with vegetables too. Oatmeal is also a great breakfast or lunch. Again, they contain a lot of fiber and are unrefined, and contain some protein so it is far preferable to boxed cereal.

5. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    one thing I forgot about cereal is you need to eat one that is healthy, any kind of brand or cerios are good, anything that changes the color of the milk is just carbs and sugar, avoid it like death

6. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I agree with the others that your diet is questionable. It's not really specific enough for any of us to really comment on it. Losing weight has a lot to do with calories, ne? 2 cups of yogurt (450g approx?) is quite a bit unless it is the right kind of yogurt. It took me soooo much work to find a yogurt without added sugar, and assuming yours has added sugar, that is quite a lot of extra calories! I'm going to assume yours starts at 150ish calories per 8 oz and 15g sugar w/o any added. That's 300 calories total. And with what I've seen them do to yoplait and other yogurt brands is practically double the sugar with High Fructose Corn Syrup, even with 30 extra grams of sugar total that's 120 calories extra ever day... in a month that makes 1 pound. As others have suggested, I'd go with plain yogurt and add your own strawberries. :slight_smile: Plain yogurt (at least the NONFAT kind I get), however, tastes like crap, and to me smells like dog food... apparently if some people try to eat toooo healthy at once they get fed up with it and revert back to previous habits so dunno. lol.

And what else you eat makes all the difference. Do you have fruit loops, or do you have cheerios? lol. Do you have whole or low/nonfat milk? How much chocolate do you eat - a piece? or 500-1000 calories (which i dont think is hard to consume w/ chocolate)?

I think fruit is an excellent idea. A large apple only has like 80 calories or something. Fruits are also sweet and can help get past sweet cravings. Fruits fiber also helps keep you satisfied and not hungry. =)

Also fruit juice is pretty bad for you. A lot have added sugars, but even without the added sugar, it's healthier to eat the fruit. Fruit juices may be a tad bit healthier [than other sugary drinks], but they are nearly as good for losing weight as soda, I'd say. They are packed with sugar and contain no fiber (which will help keep you satisfied). You'll digest the calories quickly and be hungry shortly after.

And that's itttt. If you post more information I'm sure people can give you better comments.