1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is there anything to chat about?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by hakeem_uk, Jun 25, 2006.

1. hakeem_uk

hakeem_uk Guest

lol i done this in 2 different forums and in the other not much is being said lol

2. hakeem_uk

hakeem_uk Guest

now its the question again is there anything to do ?

3. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Something to chat about - ok - does anyone here use Linux?

4. hakeem_uk

hakeem_uk Guest

nope but i think its very good better then mac i think

5. lost

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I use linux on various machines... Our main PC has Ubuntu, my laptop has SUSE 10.1 and has had Fedora Core 4 and my iPod is running iPodlinux and Podzilla. So I think the answer is yes...
    And we have an old (15 y.o.) computer which runs Windows 3.1 and SUSE 2

Will

6. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I'm not yet, really, but I want to get some familarity with it when I get some time. I have another hard drive for my laptop (plugs in instead of the WinXP one) and have Ubuntu installed and running on that but haven't done anything with it yet.

I'll probably get one of those Linux beginner books like Linux for Dummies. Any recommendations?

7. Dejavu

reinstall windows and have an "easy" yet frustrating! life...

8. lost

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  9. Micah

I use firefox...that's about as far as I get when it comes to using alternative (haha different from microsoft!) software.

The tabs just look pretty *shifty eyes*

10. Dejavu

well you could go back to microsoft then the new IE 7 has TABS!... but it still sux.. just coz its microsoft

11. hakeem_uk

hakeem_uk Guest

wow the 50 mark all ready lol :slight_smile:

12. hakeem_uk

hakeem_uk Guest

oh yer welcome Dejavu!

13. Dejavu

thanks Hakeem

14. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes... how unlike Microsoft to steal good UI for its sucky products *coughWin95cough*

15. imad

I tried Ubuntu linux a long time ago, when they were on the Breezy Badger, and a lot of things didn't work for me. I stopped tinkering with it after about a week or two of trying to get stuff to work.

Now that it's summer, I have time. I spent all of yesterday trying to get Debian to work, but the packages for the gui weren't being downloaded, correctly, and I don't yet know how to use the command line, so I couldn't do anything with it.

After six or seven installations of Debian, I finally decided to use Ubuntu's newest version, Dapper Drake. It's working smoothly so far, and I am very happy with it. I am reading up now on how to use the command line and about the inner workings of the comp.

Linux isn't as easy as Windows, but after much reading and frustration it can be a very nice experience. I really like it so far, and I'm learning a lot about computers in general, not just the one I'm using.

16. Jo A

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hiya,

As a long-time Linux user I'd say there's still some need to be at least a bit interested in how a computer and OS works; the gap's closing though with distros like Ubuntu around though.

If you're not that interested and just want something which works; OS X on Macs is good; but don't expect it to be like Windows if you've never tried it before. It takes some getting used to but once you've found your way around the different way it does things it's pretty good. Stable, too - it's a Unix underneath :icon_bigg

No "platform wars", please; I'm all for "use whatever suits you best"; and if that's Windows, that's fine with me :icon_bigg I just find there's things I can do with Linux that can't be done with anything else, and I like to be able to "tinker under the hood" of an OS. Not everyone needs or wants to do that.

Oh, and it's dark chocolate for me, every time; not the really strong dark stuff; the sweeter, less bitter kind. :thumbsup: Jo

17. Jo A

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hiya imad
    If it likes your hardware it can be a pretty smooth process; sometimes things don't work; then it can get tricky.

Some hardware just isn't well supported, or supported at all on Linux; that's not the fault of Linux - some hardware manufacturers refuse to release the documents that programmers need to write drivers.

Yes, when you get the hang of the command line and how the OS works underneath, it all gets a lot easier. The command-line is a lot more important - and powerful - on Linux, or any Unix. The GUI is just a program which runs on top of the OS, unlike Windows where the GUI and OS are all part of the same thing.

Cool :slight_smile: And if you've any questions or problems - well; there's a tame geek here who can probably help - start a new thread or feel free to PM me :thumbsup: Jo

18. imad

Wow, it's nice to know that there are experienced Linux users around here, especially ones willing to answer questions. I'll be sure to ask you if I can't find any answers off of tutorials and stuff. :icon_mrgr

19. hakeem_uk

hakeem_uk Guest

am a windows experience user here lol

20. chrisg

Back in April, I installed Zenwalk (a distribution of Slackware) on my old laptop, and it was lightning fast, not to mention incredibly stable. However, I didn't feel like tinkering with it; I just need something that works, especially since I'm going off to school in the fall. Zenwalk was nice, though.