1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there anything I need to do for top surgery?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Claire506, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Claire506

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    hello everyone! This wont be very long, but I am non binary and want to get top surgery. I just want to know, is there anything I need to do at 13 first, or do I have to wait to start things until I'm 18. Apologies if its confusing!

2. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It really depends on where you are from and what your resources are. Assuming all of the best (supportive guardian, supportive and accessible healthcare system etc)

At 13 you should be able to access puberty blockers which will stop the development in the wrong direction.
    At 16 again assuming all the right support you can start taking testosterone.
    Then at 18 you could then access top surgery.

Again this assumes all the best. Without a supportive guardian and access to the healthcare on your own there really is not anything that you can do.

3. Noah98

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You most likely will not be able to have top surgery for some time, since you are 13. I also understand that because of your age, there are probably a lot of things out of your control. My advice for something you could do now is to start saving money. It is so expensive, and I thought my insurance would cover it. When they said they weren't going to, I ended up using the $5000 I was saving up for a car and had to scramble to get the rest. Being that top surgery would most likely be at least a few years away for you, my best advice would be to start saving your money for it now.

Claire506 likes this.