1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is their a difference betwene Denial and Repression?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Zerak, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Zerak

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok when people talk about coming our discovering themselves I've heard two major words being used, namely denial and repression.

Is their a difference between the two or are they basically the same thing? I know I've seen repression used more often in the form of someone actively trying to be hetro and Denial as more along the lines of reflexly trying to deny having homosexual feelings in the first place but are these accurate differences or is it just a false correlation?

2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me I think they are different. Denial in my mind is someone who is refusing to believe or accept that they are gay, not just to the world around them but in their own mind. Repression I think is where someone inside probably knows they are gay but pushes the feelings back down deep inside because they don't want to deal with them or aren't in a position to deal with them. I think sometimes there is a bit of both. Other people might see the terms differently though.

canadawet, Zerak, GayTurtle and 3 others like this.
  3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From a psychological perspective, they're pretty close. Repression is entirely unconscious. If someone is in denial of something, then there's basically no part of them that accepts it, so in effect, it is an unconscious thing as well.

Zerak likes this.
  4. YogaGirl71

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    In this instance repression is when you force yourself to be the what you are not and denial is when you have done it for so long you actually believe your own untruth. Been there

5. YogaGirl71

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Suppression is the word I meant sorry - that’s consciously denying and repression is when you actually believe it because you’ve been denying for so long