1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is My Best Friend Secretly Bi/Bi-Curious or Just Overly Affectionate?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by whynotmt21, Jul 22, 2017.

1. whynotmt21

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am a straight early 20s female and my best friend is a straight late 20s female. She and I have been friends for about a year, but have really gotten closer within the last four months.

We talk about our interests in men, what characteristics we are looking for, what we find attractive, and sometimes we will talk about this in great detail. She is ready to settle down and I'm not quite there yet. She is also a very outward loving person and compliments women quite frequently. I don't really think she likes me in that way, but she does the following things that make me wonder what she really thinks of me:

- Intense eye contact after we hug. If we are in a room with a lot of people and she is talking to the group, she will frequently look at me even though the conversation is directed towards someone else. I really feel like she does look at me from afar sometimes.
    - Full body hugs that last 5 minutes or more. We are fully meshed together during these hugs. Her hands are usually on my back. Once they were near my waist.
    - One time I had been crying and we sat on the couch. She let me lean back into her arms and put her arms around my should. We then clasped hands and she put her face to my cheek.
    - On two different occasions she has kissed my cheek after a hug.
    - Tells me she loves me with her whole heart, more than I could ever know, says she will fight for me, be there for me in any way I need.
    - Knows the little things I like and remembers them after telling her once or twice. She will buy or talk about these things later on.
    - Has jokingly said "maybe we should get married" but then quickly reassured me she was kidding. Told me I was hot when I got really dressed up one night. Said I was sexy when I put on her sunglasses. She drops these words frequently.
    - Complimented my smile, humor, eyes, and skin tone. Once complimented my arm muscles which I don't feel like I have any. I have small breasts but said she thought mine were cute.
    - Lets me stay over at her place and comforts me through hard times. I honestly think she would do anything for me.

Ok. So that's all I can think of that she does. Like I said, she is affectionate toward people in general. She has only dated guys from what she has told me and these haven't really turned out well. I love her deeply but I just wonder what she is thinking. That's why I came here to see if anyone has advice or thoughts about her behavior. I think I have made a friend for life and want to keep it that way. Perhaps she just really loves me at a platonic level. What do you think?

#1 whynotmt21, Jul 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  2. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Doesn't sound gay to me.....this is normal for most female friendships.

Even though I am gay, I say this stuff to a friend I have ZERO romantic or sexual interest in. I love her like a sister so the thought of doing anything gay with her just seems gross to me. And she's not attracted to women, but says the same stuff back. It's a way to show our strong platonic bond.

3. Sivert

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    To me it appears that she's displaying more characteristics of trust and unconditional love more than anything. It's easier for females to display affectionate behavior towards one another because of the way they are socialized. I suppose this might just complicate detecting female queerness in the general pool of women overall speaking.

But I think the most important thing here to learn for all members of LGBT is to stop chasing straight people, because they aren't chasing us. The moment and instant that a person identifies as straight, whether or not he or she is being completely genuine, is not up to us to decide. We must immediately forget about forming other types of relationships with them that are not strictly platonic friendships. Doubting, questioning, fantasizing and even hoping for something more only jeopardizes the friendship itself. So with this in theory, assuming you mean well and are truly only confused about the nature of things, this very thing right here is subject to ruin your friendship.

Stay in the clear.

4. Cinnamon Bunny

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The rule of thumb for identifying crushes is to see if you're being treated differently. If she's normally affectionate, verbally expressive, complimentary, playful with other friends then it's not likely a crush. That's just her being unabashedly her.

I have friends, both straight and not straight, who are like your friend. I can see why her behavior makes you question though. It's also possible that she isn't straight, but there's no sense in worrying over what ifs. Accept her as she persents herself, not who she could, maybe, might be. If she expresses romantic interest or comes out, then cross that bridge when you get there. Not before.

I get the feeling, regardless of her sexuality, this woman loves and respects you. So even if she has feelings, even if you can't return those hypothetical feeling, you may still have a life long buddy.

If you're feeling uncomfortable by all the affection or attention, it's always okay, even healthy, to get some space or set up boudaries.

5. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    She doesn't sound like she's crushing on you or that she is queer.
    It could be that she's just really comfortable around you, and she senses that you are comfortable around her too. It sounds like the two of you share a very special bond, and that is to be treasured forever. Seeing as she's like this with other females too, just reiterates the fact that she's naturally a very touchy-feely person, who forms close bonds with other females (and you, obviously). My newest friend and I have gotten really close, really fast and I was wondering the same thing about her. She's in her late 40s, never married, currently single, and she's also very touchy-feely with me. We don't go a day without talking at least once, and I think our friendship has really blossomed in such a short time.

She's an awesome person, and she knows so much about me already. I never came out to her in person, but she's on my Facebook, so she can see my interested in at any time. So I think unless she's a hermit, she knows by now. She's also kissed my cheek one time after we hugged. We've never cuddled or held hands though, but she feels like a second sister to me, and she knows how much I value our friendship. She's low maintenance too, which I love.

So I don't think any of the things you've mentioned, point to her liking you "that way".