1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is marijuana bad for you?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Spot, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Glitters

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think you are misunderstanding what I was saying.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Totally untrue. We used to think that, but that was before the level of THC in marijuana reached into the 25% range. Now, many treatment centers are seeing extreme lethargy, severe depression, anxiety, and other symptoms among people with marijuana are presenting for detox and treatment. These withdrawal symptoms can last for months, unlike the ones for opiates, where the acute symptoms, though much stronger, generally only last a few days. Please don't misrepresent the facts.

You're playing with fire doing that if you have a history of substance use. But obviously you won't see it that way. Unfortunately many people in your situation have to relapse a few times before they finally "get" that *all* the drugs of abuse activate the same neurotransmitters and cause the same kinds of issues, and often lead back to the same drugs of choice.

Please be careful and really think about this. If you have a decent amount of sober time, you don't want to screw it up.

#22 Chip, Dec 19, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  3. Jackie Ray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I dont know about that Chip I grew up around drugs, real drugs like crack and heroin and marijuana isn't even in the same ball park. Ive never known a pot head to break into cars to get money for marijuana, crackheads on the other hand.......I just dont buy it. You can get addicted to nearly anything even Afrin, which yes also has symptoms from withdrawal.

I was also never a drug addict, I misused drugs, but I stopped on my own. Do you really believe marijuana ruins lives? Marijuana is my drug of choice, and its not that bad for you compared to meth, crack, heroin, and alcohol. Alcohol was my replacement for pot while Im here, when I go home I'll smoke pot again. Vicodin was just something I experimented with and not my go to high, Im too busy to run around loped on Vicodin all day.

Why do you hate marijuana? What should I do instead kayaking or church socials? I feel like people demonize marijuana, but its completely okay to get "fucked up with the boys drinking bud light".

4. Jackie Ray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    No I was just giving an "in addition to", type of thing. I wasnt trying to dispute you at all.

5. fadedstar

fadedstar Guest

I don't think anyone with a protean developing brain should be altering their brain chemistry in any significant way. However I see a level of paranoia amongst U.S. citizens regarding drugs and "drug culture" that seems a bit unwarranted and it's not something that seems as prevalent amongst their Canadian and European contemporaries. My guess is there must be some kind of historical/cultural reason for this. The fact that you still call it "marijuana" instead of just "weed" or 'cannabis' I find a little comical and seems to be an unconscious effort to distance it's use from WASP culture. A lot of the things I hear Americans saying about drugs don't really seem well grounded or researched, almost like they might be the result of some kind of propaganda or media storm... To place all drugs into the category of "drugs of abuse" or "drugs with medical utility" seems a bit black and white/simplistic. I believe it should be an adult's choice what they do or don't put into their body on par with sexual preference and minority rights. But let me reiterate I am very leery of anyone not yet an adult putting any powerful substance into their delicately balanced and developing bodies. And just to highlight again cultural differences, that includes "drugs with medical utility" i.e. all of those psycho-pharmacological drugs that doctors in the U.S. seem to so frivolously push onto children.

#25 fadedstar, Dec 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2017
    Jackie Ray likes this.
  6. Jackie Ray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    @NobleShark you are spot on. I love my country but I think one of its biggest problems is the prohibition on drugs. For a country that brags about freedom 24/7 you arent allowed to do anything here. Drug use is a choice and if a person gets addicted and dies, oh well shit happens. Will live in a nanny state, that doesnt want to acknowledge personal responsibility and would rather punish all of us for the mistakes of a few.

I smoke weed and Im a productive, tax paying American that goes to work every day and Ive never taken a single government handout, I dont even speed when driving. Yet because I smoke weed Im somehow a bad guy or a druggie. Over here its like "My 9 year old son doesnt pay attention in math class, put him on Ritalin" WTF?

#26 Jackie Ray, Dec 19, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  7. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    To be fair, I think we have a medically prescribed drug problem too.

8. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So because you've "grown up around it", that qualifies you to speak to the brain biochemistry, physiology, and psychological factors? No, I don't think so.

Crack cocaine, methamphetamine, and opiates have more severe symptoms, overdoses are more serious, and short-term withdrawal symptoms are generally more severe... but that in no way means that marijuana does not, in the concentrated forms in which it is now being sold, present many of the same risks and problems.

You typically don't see people with alcohol or benzo dependencies do that either, and there's a reason for that.

Yes. Ask the people that have come out of treatment whose primary drug was marijuana, talk to them about the difficulty they had staying off of it, and how their lives have improved since being clean.

Your choice. I say the same thing to the meth, heroin, or benzo dependent person who is happy with his life in its current form.

It isn't a matter of hate. It has its uses. But the epidemic of dependency-prone people in the US is a real problem, and when we misrepresent something that had severe addiction potential as "harmless" and "not as bad as ________________", we're doing an enormous disservice to them.

Aha. Here's the crux of the issue. If you're using marijuana instead of other opportunities to socialize and be with people... that's a serious problem. But clearly you don't see it that way, and aren't interested in changing. So... at the point at which it becomes a problem for you, perhaps you will.

I'm just trying to help people who haven't made the mistakes in the first place to not make them, and to take steps to deal with the underlying issues that lead to substance use and abuse.

Neither is acceptable in my book.

#28 Chip, Dec 21, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  9. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Both of these issues are related, and both are really serious problems. A large reason we have the opiate epidemic is the gross overprescription of Oxycontin, and the handing out of large amounts of addictive narcotics. I got some minor dental work, and the doctor gave me 20 Vicodins for "pain". I never used a single one of them... but a lot of people would have taken them and used them recreationally. A major HMO is currently fighting off a class action because they systemically instructed physicians to prescribe pain meds instead of doing expensive joint replacement surgeries, with a result of a huge percentage of those people ending up addicted to opiates. There are indeed huge problems that are caused or contributed to by the healthcare system.

The Ritalin issue is equally problematic, and the research shows it is grossly overprescribed, often not even by a psychiatrist, but by a pediatrician, simply at the request of a school teacher who would rather have a numbed-out kid than a normally active kid who requires more effort. There's trememdous data on the problems with this, and there's also a correlation between improper prescription of Ritalin or Adderal and later crystal meth use (since the drugs are chemically very similar.)

The constant barrage of advertising for prescription drugs is another huge contributor to the problem; people born after 1980 in the US grow up believing that for any issue that comes up, there's a medication they should be taking... and that's the agenda of Big Pharma, not what's best for the population.

However, none of these issues should be used as justifications to minimize the concerns with other drugs, such as marijuana. Already, the early data in Colorado is indicating that we will see an increase in people seeking treatment... and that doesn't bode well for the legalization efforts nationwide. But unfortunately, demand will likely force legalization, and, in turn, that will create an even larger problem than we currently have with needs for addiction treatment. It seems to be a lesson that people aren't interested in learning until it personally bites them in the ass.

10. Jackie Ray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It qualifies to me talk about how it makes people behave on drugs, have you ever been in a crack house Chip? I have. Have you ever seen anybody smoke crack? I have, lots of times. I used to work at a hardware that mostly sold glass tubes and chore boys. My knowledge inst based off of somebody else research its based of of my personal experience. So dont get smarmy with me Mr. White Bread.

You never addressed the fact that a lot of "potheads" are like myself hardworking productive people, the same cannot be said about crackheads or meth heads.Nobody ever said "thats a bad neighborhood, its full of pot heads". What about the masses of successful, great people that smoke pot, Actors singers, and athletes.

Bottom this supposed to be a free country and if I wanna smoke a bowl I should be allowed to do so in peace.

11. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This has certainly been an interesting thread to read.

Chip, I really wish you would cite the actual research you talk about. I think your points are correct but often lack context and perspective. As marijuana use has increased, naturally hospitalizations and overdose statistics went up. But when compared to the number of incidents per 1,000s using marijuana, then the numbers are showing that things aren't getting worse. Some of the numbers are flat, some are down compared to years past. Some are up. Here's Colorado's report in 2016: https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/cdphe/marijuana-health-report.

Jackie Ray, the original question was "Is marijuana bad for you?" Of course it's bad for you. Let's at least admit the truth to someone asking for advice. It is not harmless. Prolonged use can certainly lead to addiction and addictive behaviors. It's not good for your lungs or your brain chemistry. And yes, neither is alcohol or any other drug. Caffeine, nicotine, cigarettes, e-cigarettes, even too much Advil is not good for you. Your defensiveness over your use of pot clouds any good arguments you make (pun intended).

This comes down to personal choice. It's not harmless and anyone making the decision to use marijuana should know the facts before deciding to partake. But let's be honest about it at least - on all sides of the argument.

GlassWalls likes this.
  12. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, and yes. In the work I do.

I notice that you've moved the goalposts from understanding addiction to "how people behave on drugs". Those are completely different things.

Completely untrue. In the 1980s, the decade where cocaine use was at an all-time high, its use was pervasive among many people, particularly those in sales and other high-pressure environments. There are a surprising number of people who are quite functional using coke and meth... until they are not. That's why there are many specialty rehab facilities specifically for highly functioning professionals such as doctors, lawyers and CEOs.

No one is saying you can't. What I'm trying to do is to keep the focus on smart, informed decisions for the young people here at EC. You, on the other hand, are so focused on your own behavior and justifying it that you seem to be missing the bigger picture.

Jackie Ray likes this.
  13. Jackie Ray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Im not saying its not bad for you, everything good is bad for you, too much cake or bacon will kill you. I just feel like marijuana is being treated as if it were meth and its not.

I'm gay likes this.
  14. Jackie Ray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family

There are worse things, smoking a little pot isnt going to ruin their lives. Is pot bad for you? yes. Is it the worst thing? No. Eating poorly and gaining too much weight is a far bigger issue in this country. Im not saying "blaze err day" , but I think its okay to smoke a little pot.

Your tone at least as I perceive it, is that anybody who smokes pot needs to be in rehab, thats not the case. Im not saying what you believe but its seems like you think everybody should be jogging, praying, abstaining from sex, eating kale, going to church, whittling, or some other such lame activity. Im not saying you're a dick or anything but you seem like square at least to me.

15. Jackie Ray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    @Chip I dont mean any of that as an insult, I just think we have very different approaches to life.

16. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Smoking a little pot won't ruin anyone's life. However, given the addictive potential of the drug, and the factors that the OP was describing, the OP is at tremendous risk for addiction, whether to pot or to any other drug. Smoking a little crystal meth likely won't kill anyone either, if it's truly "a little", but... the addiction potential is enormous. I certainly won't disagree that a drug that stimulates dopamine release to 200% of normal (typical potent weed) is not as addictive as one that stimulates it to 1200% of normal (crystal meth). But either can be addictive, and the risk of addiction is related to a whole bunch of non-specific effects related to the individual using the drug. I have no way of knowing if your use meets the DSM criteria for dependence or abuse or whether it's casual use that isn't problematic, nor do I really care. I do care about people making smart decisions, and the smartest one is simply to not put oneself under risk in the first place.

I have no idea where you got that, but it's absolutely untrue. As I said, there are people who manage to "recreationally" use opiates and meth and benzos (at least for a period of time) with no consequences, and people who do the same with pot, alcohol, and other drugs. This doesn't, however, mean that many people can successfully do that with any of these. The OP, by his description of the intent of the use, would be at extreme risk of addiction, which is why I'm so forceful in saying in his case (and in many others) it would be a terrible idea.
    What an interesting combination of activities you've put in the same category. There are lots and lots of things one can do that are far healthier and more fulfilling than doing drugs (and marijuana is a drug). The majority of people in the US who don't use marijuana or any other drugs have a wonderful time, and very fulfilling lives that are far from "lame". The fact that you seem to think that smoking marijuana is the only way to find a fulfilling pastime is, in itself, a very telling statement about your personality and behavior. But it seems to be working for you, so I'm not going to be the one to tell you to do something different, because you clearly have no interest in doing so.
    Anyone who knows me in person... "square" would be about the farthest word they'd use to describe me.

#36 Chip, Dec 21, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  17. Jackie Ray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Lol I guess I just thought about stuff I wouldn't like to do. Add bird watching, fly fishing, and making my own candy to that list.

I don't want you to think I just get stoned and sit around, when I'm high or drunk I actually go and do stuff with my friends. They have fun without using enhancements, so both ways are okay. I'm not telling the op to use drugs, if you are getting by without them.

#37 Jackie Ray, Dec 22, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2017