1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it possible to continue a hetero relationship after coming out?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by dch, Jun 1, 2023.

1. dch

dch

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It’s taken a very long time for me to get here, but I’ve finally begun to accept that I’m gay once and for all. Living in denial is no longer an option. I’m still processing feelings of shame and dealing with internalized homophobia, but I’m slowly beginning to work up the courage to come out to the people in my life. In fact, I recently came out to a close female friend I’ve known for nearly 30 years. She’s been very supportive, and we’ve talked about it quite a bit in recent weeks. The subject of telling my girlfriend has come up a few times throughout our talks. A couple of months ago, the thought of that seemed terrifying, and in a lot of ways, it still does. However, my desire to explore and embrace who I am and to live my life authentically is beginning to outweigh previous fears. Also, I don’t particularly feel good about being disingenuous with her.

What I’m currently pondering is how I want the relationship to proceed, if at all. My therapist and my friend have both suggested the possibility of continuing the relationship in some way or at least continuing to live together. I have very serious doubts about the likelihood of that working out, but there are certainly a lot of positives about our relationship that make me want to at least try. I do enjoy her companionship most of the time, and our strengths and weaknesses complement each other well. I do all of the household management tasks that she doesn’t enjoy or feel comfortable doing and vice versa. Plus, she’s really great with my kids. And if I’m being completely honest, I do also enjoy the financial stability of living with her.

I’ve considered a few different possibilities for moving forward.

1. We could just keep doing what we’re doing. The sex most likely won’t ever improve significantly, but maybe we could come up with some strategies to make it a little better. If nothing else, at least she’ll know why I seem so indifferent to sex. Admittedly, this scenario seems unlikely to succeed for long.

2. We could have some sort of open relationship. I’m not sure how that would work. I’ve never attempted such a thing before. Obviously, it would depend on what we’re both comfortable with. My friend suggested this possibility, and seems to think it could work, at least for a while.

3. We could end the romantic relationship, remain friends, and continue to live together and support each other emotionally and financially.

4. We could end the relationship and move into separate homes as soon as possible.

Of course, this all depends on her. I have very little doubt that she will be devasted and could very easily choose the fourth option when I talk to her. I admit I might be delusional for even thinking there could be some way for us to remain together, but I’m curious about the experiences of others on here who have remained or attempted to remain in a hetero relationship after coming out as gay or lesbian to their significant other. If you’ve been successful, how do you make it work? If not, do you feel it would have been better to have ended the relationship right away? Or did it help to ease the transition for when it did finally end?

RejectedAt8 likes this.
  2. RejectedAt8

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    dch, I remember another post somewhere from you where you were much less certain about coming out. I am so excited for you to have made the decision to do so on your own schedule and if your own will!

I was forced to come out to my wife after a stalker exposed that I had cheated on my wife. All of this was last week. Her response was as expected. She is very hurt and angry. My revelation has broken her. She won’t see me or communicate with me.

With my situation being very recent, I won’t give you advice.

But, I do recommend not cheating like I did
    This definitely made my situation worse than it had to be.

Stay strong for yourself. You have to put in your own oxygen mask before you can help anyone else. Put yourself first and go from there.

You, your decision, and your family are in my prayers.

dch and Wanderlost like this.
  3. Colm

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's kind of a moot point if your girlfriend isn't even aware of what's going on. I would say options 1 and 2 are not viable and I'm surprised your therapist would entertain them as possibilities (if they did). I don't mean to be harsh, but while you're taking your time to process your feelings, your girlfriend's time is slipping away. In a situation like this, there are competing rights: your right to come to terms with who you are, and your girlfriend's right to make an informed decision.

You need to face this head on and stop hedging / bargaining / postponing. It's not going to be easy no matter when you do it. You'll feel destabilised, anxious, and depressed. But you'll come out of the other end as authentically yourself, possible for the first time in your life. The pain you'll go through will be worth it. But avoidance will get you nowhere. As is always the case, "the best way out is through".

Bicchi, quebec, Tightrope and 2 others like this.
  4. Wanderlost

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you definitely need to tell her asap. There is a tipping point with these things, and during uncertainty about orientation it might be excusable to not tell a significant other, especially if there is a lot riding on the whole thing, like marriage and children. But now you are certain of your orientation, and a delay will just make it very unfair for her, and even you. It sounds like all the options you listed are things you're willing to try if she is. Honestly I think I'd scratch option 1 off your list. 2 and 3 are possible, but only if she's already suspected that you are gay and just hasn't brought it up. If this blindsides her then I would not expect a positive, pragmatic response. Like you said, it's most likely to be option 4. Just tell her and let the dust settle however it does. The truth will set you both free, even if it's through great struggle.

Tightrope, Enzo46 and RejectedAt8 like this.
  5. dch

dch

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you for your kind words of encouragement and for being non-judgmental regarding my current situation. I'm so sorry to hear about your recent developments. I do hope your situation improves soon. Hopefully, once your wife has had a little bit of time to process what has happened, she will be open to communicating with you.

RejectedAt8 likes this.
  6. Enzo46

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with what Colm says. In my opinion if you want to live openly and authentically as a gay man the only real option is to separate. Certainly my former wife and I came to the conclusion fairly quickly after my coming out that that was the only viable course. It was painful but it was the right thing and we have both come through it. Wish you the best of luck!

Joolz66, Tightrope and dch like this.
  7. Contented

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it would be near impossible to remain in some type of heterosexual relationship once you are truly out. It would be unfair to both of you as neither can emotionally and sexually satisfy the other. It is a recipe for 2 people to share a miserable unfulfilled life. For me once I embraced my homosexuality I could never have stayed with my then long term GF. Towards the end of that relationship I started to resent her through no fault of hers just my changing sexuality. I avoid intimacy at all costs and didn’t even want to touch her. No relationship could survive that. The only option which was painful more so for her than I was to definitively end our fractured relationship. I have never looked back with regret.

Joolz66 and dch like this.
  8. DecentOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know at least a couple gay guys who stayed in their marriages after coming out. I have a sense one is “doing it for our child”, and the other may be “gay +1” where his wife is the significant exception to otherwise complete attraction to males. I’ve met other guys who have both a FWB (or boyfriend) and a wife, openly and respectfully negotiated.

I’m bisexual and staying in my marriage, monogamously, as I love my wife very much. When I came out to our (adult) kids, one said “I guess that can work, since you are bisexual, not gay.” Yep.

9. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Disclaimer, have not read all the post yet. But I do want to comment, based upon the title.
    Kind of like sitting on the lakeshore and putting your feet in beautiful clear lake water. Feels wonderful, but if you dont jump in and swim a bit you'll never get the full body experience.

#9 brainwashed, Jun 9, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2023
  10. wua

wua

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Are you happy? I don't think so.

11. Wanderlost

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why would a bisexual person not be happy in a monogamous marriage with a person they love?

12. wua

wua

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's ok when you are bi, but it's very common that people are not so bisexual as they think. Real bisexual people should not ask about the future of realationship with woman.

13. Ingvermama

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I’m not sure what you are saying? I think a bi person could be “happy enough”.

14. Contented

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Happy enough? Why not be totally happy in your sexuality. Why settle?

15. Ingvermama

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Because life is complicated. Because bisexuality is complicated.

Wanderlost and B1lat3ral like this.
  16. Wanderlost

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You responded to DecentOne, not the OP. DecentOne does not appear to be very confused about anything. Just saying.

What she said. I'm not really a fan of setting the lives of everyone I love on fire because I want to be as happy as humanly possible, because what we think might make us happier, can often leave us bereft of what really mattered most.

Ingvermama and dch like this.