1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it okay for people to say "tranny"

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Minnie, Dec 26, 2014.

1. The Virgo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Tranny originally was a term about drag queens and transvestites. Recently society has turn the term to mean about transgendered brothers and sisters. Its kinda like how in uk fags mean cigars and elsewhere it means a gay male

2. Amira

i kinda feel that it's a slur more directly targeted at trans women than anyone else. not to say that it doesn't hurt trans men or trans nonbinary people--it does. but it's meant to call to mind the stigmatized image of a "man in a dress trying and failing to be a woman" so i get kind of nails on the chalkboard feelings when anyone uses it around me.

3. antibinary

I'd tell her that it's offensive.

4. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tranny has too many negative connotations to be okay... It's just a slur pure and simple...

Wait what? Trap is offensive? I mean its not really a term for trans people, just very convincing crossdressers... At least that is my understanding... I have two friends who identify as traps :/

5. soulcatcher

It is controversial to use that slang term. It is considered a pejorative term by some members of the trans community.

6. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's just it. Traps are crossdressers. They don't identify as trans and just try to "trap" people. Yes. They pass. But for the wrong reasons is the point.

7. soulcatcher

I agree. People should be ashamed to use that term, given its association with a degrading background. Not to mention it could mean a number of things, like a transistor radio.

---------- Post added 27th Dec 2014 at 07:37 PM ----------

Nope, even if you are a part of an LGBT community or belong to a racial minority, those derogatory, discriminative terms should not be used, because personally it sounds like a double standard.

#27 soulcatcher, Dec 27, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  8. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For the WRONG reasons? Who's to say what is right and wrong in this? Anyone who wants to pass as the opposite sex can do so for any reason they like! :confused:

9. Wildside

Wildside Guest

years ago, when I was so deeply ensconced in my closet, I heard stories of guys who got taken in by undeclared cross dressers, though I had never heard the term "trap." I don't know if their stories where true or not, and they were always delivering some homophobic message, but I was always secretly jealous. I just imagined, back in those days when I was trying to become straight, and felt like that would be the most wonderful surprise that I could ever dream of. But I always doubted those stories, and felt like they were just meant to shock people.

10. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're asking what a trap is. There is a difference between being trans and a crossdresser who still identifies as their birth sex.

Traps are people who are intending to knowingly deceive people for purposes other than expressing their gender identity.

The common view of transgender people are trying to "trap" people to lure them into a sexual encounter.

The word trap to me screams the "oh they are just trying to get into the opposite sexes bathroom", and that's NOT what transgender people are aiming to do.

#30 Kasey, Dec 27, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  11. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not asking what a trap is, I know what a trap is. And I said before, traps aren't trans people. The point of being a trap isn't to lure anyone into a sexual encounter or anything else like that, its simply to express yourself in a way that is outside your genders norm and be VERY good at it. It is about self expression, just because you want to pass doesn't mean you have to identify as something other than your birth sex.

Yes, it would be offensive to try to apply the term to someone who is trans, I get that. But I don't see a problem with the term as it applies to crossdressers.

12. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Because that's not what trans people are.

You're asking why it's offensive when you claim to already know.

13. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Except I was asking why it's was offense as a general term, I'd already stated it isn't a term for someone who is trans. It'd be like calling someone who is trans a Drag queen or a Crossdresser, you'd be misidentifying that person. Where as Tranny, ladyboy, shemale, heshe, are not like that, they're just downright offensive. I guess though my question should have been how trap was on the same level as those terms... But I guess I'm seeing that for some people it can be... :/

14. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You identify as trans do you not? You would like to find someone some day to go out with? You want to pass?

This whole "trap culture" would relegate you to having people ID you as a crossdresser trying to pick people up and when it's time "Peek a boo!"

Eeewwww you're a dude?

See how that is offensive?

The concept of "trapping" delegitimizes true transgender people.

Crossdressing and passing by cis identifying people is more than fine. But the whole trap mentality as a good thing is subversive to transgender people.

15. Wildside

Wildside Guest

Oh my, that sounds dangerous. I think someone could get seriously hurt that way. Imagine if the guy were a violent homophobe. I hate to even think of what might happen.

16. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exactly. That is part of the danger of being stealth transgender pre op especially.

Point is still that trap mentality and passing to "trap" people is harming the transgender community.

17. The Virgo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think a lot of you should learn your gay history to find out more were most names and terms in the lgbt community come from

18. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry but I just don't agree. I don't think they delegitimize trans people anymore than crossdressers or drag culture. I'll leave on that point though, if you have more to say after this that's fine, I'll gladly read it. But I'm afraid this discourse won't reach a conclusion if taken further.

19. Amira

Not for nothing but this is more than a little condescending if you're not trans and you're telling it to trans women, many of whom have been openly part of the "community" for more than a decade.

20. The Virgo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I dont wanna hear the whole "you're not trans you don't understand" story because it is bullshit. 1. you don't know me or my story 2. I've had many transgender friends and even boyfriends to tell me there stand on the word tranny. Also as i said educate yourself on the past of gay history before you try and come to a debate :icon_wink