Is honesty always the best policy?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Wildwings, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Wildwings

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just thought I would get other people opinions on this subject. So is it really always better to be honest? I personally think sometimes honesty gets you in more trouble then it worth then if you had told the one white lie.

What do others think?

2. Azrael

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I think it's honesty + modesty = best policy.

3. leer

to me it would be down to the person your being honest with.

4. Key09

someone once told me
    when you create a lie, you will continue to create more lies to hide the other lies, and when you create more lies, the truth will be buried deep down there and it will be hard to dig it up again. but then again, when someone else know the truth, you'll be in a deep shit.

so guess yeah, i think you should be honest rather than to lie others.
    no matter how small the lie is, you should try to avoid it unless you need to
    me myself, i always try to avoid lying to others after what had happened to me in the past.
    right now, i'm trying to live a lie-less life and although it is hard, it's better than to create more lies :slight_smile:

5. Hexagon

No. Honestly is generally important when trying to form or maintain relationships where trust is important. But even then, the odd white lie won't do much harm. Like 'you look nice in that' sort of thing. In the world at large, though, I think too much honesty will just get you in trouble. I've had to lie my entire life, and I'm safer because of it.

Basically... I don't consider lies to be morally wrong unless they negatively affect others. Lying can sometimes be the right thing to do.

6. Wildwings

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with this, guess it all to do with what situation your in. I by all means did not me a hurtful lie or a lie that means betraying someone.

7. kem

kem

No, not always.

And to be honest (haha), I would rather tell my friend if his or her clothes we're unflattering to his or her physique than let them look like a scarecrow.

8. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not always. It really depends on the situation, and I respect people who are tactful in knowing what is appropriate to say versus those who blurt out everything unfiltered. Complete honesty would be fine if we could all read each others' minds and knew for sure what each one was really thinking (reminds me of the Betazoids from Star Trek).

9. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

To me, honesty is always the best policy.

Now we have to make the distinction between those people that are honest and the other people that hide behind their "honesty" to be complete and total assholes.

If someone offends another person and then hides behind the whole "I just say it how I see it" or "I'm just being honest" then that person can go fuck themselves. You can be honest while also being kind.

People also have to remember that just because you are being honest it doesn't mean you are right. A racist person can be honest about their racism, but it doesn't mean that those feelings are right just because you are honest about them.

But yes, I try to be as honest as I can be.

10. George

Honesty is extremely important to me. I have a difficult time thinking of someone the same way after catching them lying to me. White lies on the rare occasion may have their place - but I'm referring to the more serious kind. I basically start every new friendship with 100% trust, and every lie chips away at that. It is difficult to regain that trust once it is lost, thought not impossible. I always tell people to just be honest with me, I can handle most anything they will throw at me. My feelings may get hurt when they are honest, but the pain is far less than if I catch them in a lie.

11. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honesty is the best policy, in my book.

However, honesty+ total bluntness =/= Best policy.

For example: Let's say your wife (or husband) says "do these pants make me look fat?"

If they actually are fat, I'd say "no" because it's not the pants that make them look fat, it's the actual fat on them. However, that's all I would say. I wouldn't go as far to say "No, you actually are fat" for a couple reasons.

1. Possible divorce on the spot
    2. Perhaps just saying "no" could be a way to let it sink in and tell them "Hey, maybe you should go on a diet" and have them make the choice themselves rather than demand that they go on a diet and lose some weight.

If they actually weren't fat and the pants DO make them look fat, I'd say "yes" because the pants DO make them look fat. But at the same time, I would include that it's the pants, and that they aren't actually fat.

Basically, if the situation is more negative, I find a more positive way to make it better, while at the same time being honest. If the situation is already positive and there's really nothing to worry about, beans are spilled.

12. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No. There are times when you can cause more harm than good by being honest. Each situation is different. I was chided for once breaking up for someone by just kind of making myself less accessible and ultimately saying that I needed more space. There were other reasons, which the person could not change, and they wouldn't have benefited from knowing that information. In most cases, it is the best policy. In others, it is not.

13. HeyAshley

it's almost always the best policy.

i said almost because there are scenarios when you just need to lie for the sake of being a decent human being. for example, if your friend got a haircut that you thought was hideous and they asked, "don't you just love my new haircut?" --- "no, i think it looks terrible." is just an asshole move. even if it does mean that you're being honest.

14. Rivers

Honesty isn't always the best policy, but generally it is. I try to be tactful when my words won't have any negative repercussions, but I would never let a friend think that a ridiculous outfit looks terrific. You have to be the judge of the situation, and decide whether you should be honest or tactful.

15. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I definitely think it's the best policy. If you aren't genuine with people you're gonna wind up in situations you aren't interested in or dont wanna be part of. The truth always comes out anyways. Better to save yourself the embarassment and be straight with people from the start.

16. AlamoCity

It's usually a good policy, but there are exceptions.

When my grandmother, who is 93 and has Alzheimer's, asks for her mother, father, brothers, and husband, I can't tell her tell her they are all dead and she has no one from her generation left. That's horrible. White lies are the best in this, and other, situations. For that, I tell her, "Oh, your dad is off in the field harvesting the crops."

That's just one example, but other situations do require a "lack of honesty" too.

17. Hexagon

Or honesty could make you find yourself if uninteresting situations, if you are unwilling to upset someone.

"You free to watch the football match?"

Truth: "Yes, but I don't like being with you/don't like football"
    Truth: "Yes, I'll be there"
    Lie: "No, I'm in london that day"

The lie, IMO, is preferable.

18. Foxface

this is my opinion...but yes

I am not the type to sugar coat. I will be modest and kind as I can but you're going to hear the truth

For what it's worth...I can't stand when people ask a question then get pissed at the answer. DON'T ASK if you don't want to know

Foxface

---------- Post added 21st Jul 2013 at 05:27 PM ----------

I would so much rather someone just tell me they don't like me. I can get over that quick instead of being led around

Foxface

19. Violet

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Although honesty sometimes could make things worse, at the end of the day, for me, being honest is the best decision, also sooner or later the truth will come up any way.

20. Hexagon

Not necessarily. There are plenty of lies that are never discovered. I have told some lies like that myself.