1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is homosexuality morally wrong?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tim C, Sep 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JayHew

In Loving Memory Regular Member

Tim, thanks for a great thread. It is a fervent wish that religion drop the dogma and the reading of specific sentences or passages from the Bible to make their particular point. With any text, I am sure for the most part, it can be done for a given subject line. What I seem to see most often is the reading of such passages and such coming from the old testament and not from the new testament. To me that has always been disingenuous as Jesus said He was the new and everlasting covenant with the world, therefore putting the Law of Moses to rest, but it seems that part is not taught or identified well. If passages are quoted from the new testament, they usually are from the letters written by one of the apostles, in other words, personal opinion.

What also bothers me is how history is completely overlooked and how the early Christian movement was totally changed after the Nicene Council and other such meetings between 357 and 500 AD. The four books of the new testament were adopted and all others shunned. But history tells of many more Gospels according to various disciples and even Mary Magdalene. The history of the early church before the Byzantine Empire exerted is influence is scattered and in some cases lost.

If one were to read actual history and not just listen to the dogmatic teachings of religious orders, it would be seen much of what is said about religion and the bible is wrong. It is nothing more than some man's or group's opinion. It usually preys upon man's fears and ignorance rather than it being a boost to help him as a person, as a human and perhaps as something more.

It is good to see that someone of the "cloth" has expressed this opinion, one that is helpful and meaningful to many here. For that a very meaningful thanks and a well done.

2. greg

Is homosexuality morally wrong? There's only one answer NO. What is wrong is people imposing their morals (if in fact they have any) on others. greg

3. MalibuGuy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i dont believe in god so i guess it doesnt matter i didnt even read it sorry lol.

4. Jerr

Being Homogay is morally wrong!!!

All you homogays are going to hayelll! (Say it how it was spelt... HAY ell)

teehee....

5. dictionary

The bible says it is a sin to where clothes made of two diferent threds whitch means im sinning right now....
    There are some more outragous claims in levidigus (if thats how you spell it)

6. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Exactly. The churches choose which parts of the bible to take literally and which parts to ignore or disregard.

Many people tend to accept what their church tells them about the bible rather than reading it and thinking about it for themselves.

7. dictionary

I go to a catholic school and were told about "the truths" of the bible sutch as historical truth ie. back in the day stoning women who had sex un married was acceptable but why is it acceptable to condem homosexuals????
    I have this horrible RE teacher and his saying is we must love the homosexual but hate the homosexual act..

8. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    You should ask him if we should also "hate" homosexual LOVE? I don't think God condemns LOVE anywhere in the Bible.

9. Jerr

Leviticus

Read this, it was in a story that I was reading. The author of it actually involves a lot of religion in his stories.

(Lil background you might need... the night before someone started a fire at a gay couples house actually lighting the stairway as well in an attempt to kill them. The Pastor was appalled by the actions and this is part of what he said in church and when someone was against them being there. told from the prospective of the son of the man who is anti homogay)

I love the way this author puts these types of things. In my current story he has a priest say that what people do in the confines of their bedroom is their own business. We are not here to judge them. Only God may judge them. Now I will try to help them change repenting and prayer but I will not try to force someone into doing so.

Hate the sin, not the sinner.

#29 Jerr, Oct 7, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2007
  10. Jerr

Here is that icon. It is funny.

Attached Files:

11. Louise

I'm not convinced that morals have much to do with religion. People use religion (not just Christianism)to fuel and backup their own prejudices, they always have done and always will do. Religion can and very often is used to help make you a better person and give you support in times of emotional need, however it can be also used to justify your own prejudices, again this is a personal choice made by indiviuals.

Morals are the rules by which we choose to live our lives. I personally consider it morally wrong to deliberatly harm my neighbour. This is my moral stance because this is the way I have chosen to live my life but who am I to condemn a someone who does not share this moral value. I may not like that person, I may not seek out his company but that doesn't give me the right to judge him.

The question of morally wrong or right is a personal choice that we each of us make for ourselves and can only apply to ourselves. So what is right for you may not be for me and vice versa. This question has no answer! From my point of view NO!! but that is just my opinion.

12. Tim C

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    It is far more than just a personal choice of right and wrong when it comes to inflicting harm on others. When you fail to respect the rights of others, when you inflict harm on others- you are guilty of being immoral regardless of your beliefs.

I can disagree with the morality of someone being gay- that's my right. But the moment I beat them up I've stepped over an important boundary. Your saying "what's right for me may not be right for you and vice versa" is true- I agree completely. But my right to freely do what I want ends when it imposes on others.

And that's not just my opinion. That's in accordance with what libertarians call natural law. Now obviously all people don't agree with that. But it does provide a meaningful standard where you can judge certain actions and condemn them as morally wrong with no hesitation.

Tim

13. Jerr

...Tim is good.

14. Louise

Sorry, I think I took the question too literally and not with the larger view of what our morals lead us to do. The actions of people based on their own moral standards was not part of my reply.

For me that comes under a different subject of consideration and respect for one's fellow human being. You say 'right to freely DO' and you are right but morals are thoughts not actions. Sorry I'm being pedantic but that is how I understood the question.:icon_redf

15. Tim C

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hi Louise!

It's always fun to talk with someone who is interested in word usage and is committed to correct definitions. I agreed completely with your original post where you said, "People use religion to fuel and backup their own prejudices". I apologize that in my response I only pointed out my disagreement- that I didn't mention you had made a great point.

I've never heard anyone make the distinction that morals are thoughts not actions. I checked the dictionary and found this definition, "of, pertaining to, or concerned with the principles or rules of right conduct or the distinction between right and wrong; ethical".

I wouldn't think that by that definition separating thoughts and actions in defining what's moral or not is at all necessary. But that's only one definition. Words have so many definitions- they can have different meanings regionally, and whether you're using definition 1, 2, 3, or 4 can make the difference between being on the same page and being involved in a semantic disagreement.

It sounds like you agree with me that it's not acceptable to mistreat other people- that we can almost always call that bad- but you'd prefer to use another word other than immoral to describe that. I'm reasonably comfortable that we're both right and in general agreement with each other- our only disagreement was in using different defintions of the word.

All the best,

Tim

16. Louise

Thank you, I think you are right, we have a different definition of the word morality. I have never relly thought about it but morals to me have always been thoughts, never actions... just goes to show! That your moral attitudes lead you to behave in a certain way, I would agree with but not that an action is a moral. I think we will have to agree to disagree on that one.

I think we are on the same moral wavelength and I enjoy reading your posts which are insightful and often explain what I would like to say but haven't found the words to express myself.:eusa_doh:

See you again soo in the posts :smilewave

17. aussie paul

I Believe that there is a God. But for me and many others, God is a spiritual being, therefore has no gender. However, in the traditional language and culture of the people who wrote the Bible, men were dominant in society. That's why men are mentioned much more than women in Christian and Hebrew (Jewish) scriptures. So there are cultural, linguistic and other reasons why we have inherited the reference to God as He. In some parts of Hebrew scripture, when writing about the Spirit of God, the feminine is used. So .... !!! (By the way, I've studied Christian Scripture and what we call the "Old Testament" ( the Hebrew texts.).

About the main topic here: I'm sure God doesn't worry if we were born Gay, Straight or whatever. It's LOVE that counts.. enough... Paul :icon_bigg

18. Will2M

I am personally not religious but I am glad there are religious people out there that support gays. Thanks for posting this.

19. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Sincere question: why?

20. Cassandra

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Nop. People tend to confuse what "moral" is, and often consider it as a set of ideals that need to be obbeyed for a correct behaving.

There are 4 kind of "law sets" (just to say a name): Juridical Law, Moral, Religious Law, and Social Uses (convencionalisms, customs, or whichever you want to call them).

The Juridical Law (what you may call simply The Law or the Legal Sistem) is a sets of rules imposed by a person or a group of people that has the power to do that, and that are mandatory for the people (who didn't make them, and hence called heteronomy). This are the laws you know, like civil law, or criminal law. The punishment in failing to follow these laws, is law enforcement (wich varies from matter to matter, being the most evident case, prison in criminal matters).

The religious law is the set of rules imposed by a religious figure (wheter it be God, or any other depending on the religion you adopt) and that you, as a believer, need to follow. This depends on your religion, but each one has it's own rules.

The social customs (or uses) are those rules imposed by the society, that controls what is considered to be right and wrong on that particular society. The punishment for failing to follow this rules, is social reclusion. These are like, wich clothes are acceptable to wear, what words can be said on public, etc.

And at last, the moral. Moral is a set of rules imposed by the same individual who is going to follow them, and controls what is to be considered good and bad by that particular individual. Moral is a personal set of rules, that apply only to that particular person. The punishment for failing to follow these rules, is remorse. For example, if you consider wrong to insult your parents, then it is morally wrong, for you. If you don't consider that throwing rocks at the street is wrong, then it's not morally wrong for you.

About your example, stealing is only morally wrong if the thief knows and reckons that stealing is a bad thing that shouldn't be done, and then he may be punished by remorse. But, setealing is an act punished by juridical law, so it doesn't matter if it is morally wrong for the thief, it is an illegal act.

For homosexuality to be morally wrong, depends on the particular person. If someone has as a moral rule to be straight (doesn't matter the reason for that rule) then finding he is homosexual will cause remorse, because he will be breaking his moral law, and hence it would be imoral for that particular individual. That doesn't mean that, when he accepts what he cannot change, he then may "reform" his moral law, and rewrite that "to be straight" rule for "it's ok to be homosexual", and remorse will stop, because it will not be imoral anymore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.