1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is anyone getting the new 3ds (remodel)?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by C P, Sep 9, 2014.

1. C P

C P

As someone who pretty much likes keeping up with the handheld upgrades since the DS, I honestly can't wait, especially if the better 3D viewing is as good as it seems they are sure of. It just sucks that Japan gets it soon and everyone else will have to wait until 2015(dang region lock is still with us, would've considered importing one otherwise).

While the name is questionable(unsurprisingly), if anyone has kept up with a recent update, the 3ds will be getting another remodel in the near future(at least Japan next month, elsewhere 2015), and it looks like it'll be quite the upgrade this time. Here is a list of (most of) the updated features:

- MicroSD used SD cards will be replaced by micro SD
    - Mini 2nd analog above the abxy buttons and to the left is a 2nd (mini) c-stick, to better control camera angles and stuff(Games that now support CPP will be able to use this, for one)
    - Better 3D viewing the 3D will have a wider viewing angle(something to do with some type of facial tracking involving the camera)
    - Camera improvement The camera has an improvement that will make it better in poorer lighting, though the crappy mp still remains apparently
    - Amiibo/NFC will be built in(rather than an add-on like will be for older models)
    - A better CPU, that will allow things like faster downloads, connection to Miiverse, etc.
    - Better browseran improvement to the internet browser(faster loading and video playback supported)
    - System to PC wireless media file transferring
    - Better screens so automatic brightness toggles depending on environmental lighting
    - Various design differences like ZL/ZR buttons added to the back, the game slot/power button/stylus slot now being on the bottom, the start/select buttons on the right-hand side, the volume slider is now on the top screen- left side(no more bumping it accidentally while playing!), and the WiFi toggle will be on the home menu
    - Changes to standard sized model The 'regular' size will also have a slightly bigger screen than before, and will have the ability to use interchangeable faceplates

- One of the bigger (and questionable things atm) is that the better CPU will make it so the console can use the extra power to allow for it to have exclusive games that will only run on the new models(ex: so far, Xenoblade Chronicles is being ported to the 3DS and will not be able to be run on the current models). This is obviously something that has divided opinions so far.

[​IMG]

If you'd like to see it in more detail, here's the part of the direct that shows off the 3DS itself(it's from the recent Japanese direct, but it's pretty easy to follow):

New Nintendo 3DS System reveal and demonstration - YouTube

#1 C P, Sep 9, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  2. AsheTheHuman

Not sure how feel about the name. Better than Wii U, but hmmm. Anyways, I bought a 3DS on launch. Got a Blue Pokemon XL. I'll get this. Missed out on Xenoblade the first time around, and I love the second stick. Now if only they can update Kid Icarus: Uprising for it! If we, by some grace of the gods, get the Special Edition Monster Hunter New XL, or even a Xenoblade New XL, I'll get one of those. However, knowing NoA's recent track record of dropping the ball on EVERY special edition in the last 2 or so years, I'm probably going to get the standard one and that sexy Mario wood grain face plate. I'm excited for it! Too bad it's region locked (again, ugh) or I would've imported it for Christmas.

3. ShadowSpirit26

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have the first version of the 3DS, and I have been wanting to get the XL version for the bigger screen. I'm glad I found out about this new version before I got the XL version, because it definitely seems like the one to get. I just hope this is the last version they bring out, because I would hate to get the new version and then a little bit later find out that a new and better version is going to come out. I hate it when that happens. :frowning2:

4. VideoGameLover

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm not sure if I'm going to get the new remodel. Given that I already have the original 3DS that works just fine, I don't think it's worth spending the money on the new model.

But only time will tell.

5. C P

C P

Afaik, all games that currently use the CPP will function with the new c-stick but, so far(as in upcoming games), Smash Bros. will support the new c-stick but not the CPP.

As for the sizes of the models, that's a drawback that makes you consider which model to get.

The size of the XL is appealing for obvious reasons(bigger viewing) but, then again, you'll be able to customize the regular model as you please. You're right about how we don't get really appealing designs, and I really like the orange faceplate(how often do we even get that color choice this way? Yeah...), so that's a reason to consider the standard. If the upgraded screen size of the standard is just enough to not seem so small like the old standard, it may become a sweet spot(in all senses). :king:

Considering it is both size models coming out at the same time, and what they've done with them this time, I feel this will be the last 3DS remodel(a stop-gap system, like the DSi was) until the next gen handheld comes out.

6. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

no cos it feels like i just bought a got damn 3ds (2011?)

7. AsheTheHuman

I'm aware of that. KI:U NEVER had CPP support. Only thing I didn't fall in love with while playing the game was the control scheme. It'd easily be one of my favorite games with better controls.

8. C P

C P

Kid Icarus does support the CPP. Too bad, I probably would've had a much smoother, more enjoyable time playing with the option when I first played through it. :-l

#8 C P, Sep 9, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  9. AsheTheHuman

Just looked it up. I know why I forgot about it now. It's just an alternate control scheme for lefties. You can't actually use it to aim. /:

10. C P

C P

Yeah, which is why I wish I had one at the time I played through it.

I now see what you mean by 'upgrading KI:U for it'. Yeah, it took a little getting used to but it wasn't too bad, imo. That's an interesting suggestion though, but I don't see them changing that now. :-l

Ugh, I still can't get over the big delay for outside of Japan too, on the topic of the system. I'm too tempted by the new features to have to wait however long it will be into 2015, when they get it in a month. >_< I'm especially interested in things like how much better the 3D viewing is and ya di da.

11. blaziken25

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It looks great and I want one. All the new features just make it look so much better. (!)
    But I only just got one (original model) last year at the release of Pokemon X and Y. :dry:
    So no - I will not be getting one. But I will look forward to its release. :icon_bigg

12. ShadowSpirit26

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I sure hope so.

13. I just want it to be region free :frowning2: I want to play my jpn games without having to buy a Japanese 3DS.

14. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Totally gonna get it. I love Xenoblade and I need to own everything to do with it, so this is a must. Plus, I imagine there'll be more games exclusive to it on the way in due time. Plus that second stick is gonna be great for playing Smash and Monster Hunter.

Also it's really easy to customise it! Can't wait to make it nice and personal :3

15. C P

C P

I mean what left do they have to do now, a new 2ds? (I'm not trying to jinx things, btw. XD)

It would also have been nice to be able to import the Japanese 3DS(a month away, rather than probably Spring-ish for everyone else) to be able to use regularly with non-jap games. The new 3ds just has too much going for it to have to wait to see all that really in action, heh.

Yeah, definitely see some using the extra power down the road for more exclusives once they sell. It probably will see more stuff than the DSi did.

16. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would hope so. I'd definitely feel like I was more justified in the purchase.

17. RedMage

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'll probably be getting the New XL model instead of getting the current XL one due to the new blowing the old one out of the water. Plus I'm hoping these new models fix the shoulder buttons issues that Nintendo always overlooks.

I hope though, that I'll be able to transfer my 3DS and VC games to the newer model. It won't be terribly bad if I can't but it would make it much more convenient to keep everything on one system.

18. C P

C P

Yeah, it would be added incentive for the new one(as if there already isn't, heh), though I guess it won't go too too crazy, so it wouldn't split the base, at least not for now.

Don't quote me 100%(because the wording seems a little vague everywhere I've looked so far) but apparently you'll be able to transfer to the new 3ds, you just won't be able the transfer back from new 3ds to the old, current model.