1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Ireland Holds Gay Marriage Referendum

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Foz, May 22, 2015.

1. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My boyfriend and I just made plans to marry in Dublin, and then head to Disneyworld for our honeymoon.

This is why I'm marrying this man.

2. ouji

ouji Guest

I'm absolutely thrilled. Way to go, Ireland! :eusa_clap

3. Siarad

I have been sitting here crying (which is unlike me)! There is so much hatred and divisive language around difference in England at the moment that to see all those people go out in Ireland to vote for love and equality is incredibly moving! That is such a landslide and such a powerful message of unity between people of all sexualities in Ireland.

Agree absolutely - but one of the things being discussed in the papers is also how surprised people were that it hasn't been just the young generation - people of all ages have come out in support of a 'Yes' vote (a straight, 90 year old catholic granny, for example). I wasn't really in favour of a referendum (straight people getting to vote on the rights of gay people) but in the wake of this vote I think it has perhaps put straight people in the position of having to really think about what they want for people in Ireland, including their gay friends, family members, etc - and I think that's shown.

Looking on the internet to book a camping holiday in Ireland!

4. Schloss

Out Status:
    Some people
    Guess it's late now, but they have a national broadcasting channel RTÉ that could be watched within Europe (dunno if you need a TV license for it if you want to watch it internationally) but it's been on the WHOLE DAY and it's just so heartwarming. I don't think I've ever seen such long coverage on LGBT issues. England on the other hand judging from Siarad has a bit of catching up to do in terms of acceptance... I just can't understand this repetitive toxic vile cycle of hatred from the machismo-fanatics.

5. Steam Mecha

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    That's so awesome! :grin:

6. Bi in MD

Out Status:
    A few people
    I knew this would happen if you made gay marriage legal.
    They would start infiltrating good Christian family based organizations like Disney just to flaunt their damned unnatural life style...
    whats next Micky and Goofy butt bumping in the main square????

Sorry, just wanted to go on record as the first one to throw the ignorance out there.

other than that, Congratulations, best wishes for a very long and happy life together and have a great time on the honeymoon. I really could not be happier for Ireland and all that can now benefit from their progressive view.

7. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :lol: Actually, I'm glad you decided to joke about it. Celebration comes in many forms, and I'm very glad we're all celebrating this huge victory in our own way.

8. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

Omfg I am so jealous!

I am still so happy Ireland passed gay marriage! YAY! (!) my first banana dance! :lol:

9. Asexual Pirate

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Way to go Ireland!

10. lukeluvznicki13

61.2% voted yes. That says a lot.

11. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pondered this for a bit, yesterday.

This is why I'm a firm believer in the power of the people.

Ireland is the most catholic country in the world, and the vote was given to the public. The vote was a landslide, and that's a real understatement.
    Meanwhile, we have a total of 9 people voting, here in the US. It looks very split.

I have nothing against RBG or a couple other members of SCOTUS. But I think if the U.S. had a similar vote, we'd have marriage equality 2 years ago.

12. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agreed. People can bash catholics all they want until I could ask them what what main religion the Kennedys are a part of including pro gay democrats. People may not see progress within religion especially in the deep South United States but it is happening. Look at the democratic party most are pro gay and christian or jewish. It is not just a problem with the religion it is the people still in it causing the problems.

13. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    The problem is that I don't think the US has ever had a national referendum. You're right that we probably would of had national same-sex marriage 2 years ago had we done a referendum. The constitution pretty much makes us decide laws with our states, and not with our people. We even have our Electoral College during presidential elections, so it's actually possible for more people to vote for one candidate, but have the other candidate win (Such as Bush v Gore 2000). People from states elect congress members to represent their state, so there's really no law that can be passed that involved the people from every state to directly decide the laws for the whole country.

And to be quite honest, I don't really disagree with this either. I wouldn't want people from red states deciding what type of laws are passed in Illinois (a blue state).

14. Bi in MD

Out Status:
    A few people
    The problem is that the gay community decided it would be a good idea to make this a rights issue. Since Marriage of any type is not a right that is written into the constitution, it becomes the responsibility of the Supreme court to figure out a way to make it so with the existing amendments, or congress has to create new law that makes it a right.
    If the gay community would have just pushed for a peoples choice vote, and gone about it with signatures to have it placed on the national ballot, it very well could have passed years ago.
    I have been trying to make this point for some time. Marriage is not a right, it is a privilege, the assumed benefits are not rights they are part of mostly the tax code.

Ive been on this forum for a very short time, however one interesting problem that I have noticed is that people from other countries will argue issues from countries they are not from, based on the laws and practices in the countries they are from.
    It does become confusing at times.

15. Aldrick

Ugh. Marriage *IS* a civil right. The Supreme Court has affirmed this again and again for heterosexual people. It's the reason that prisoners can get married in prison, because they went to court when states refused to allow them to get married. It's the reason interracial marriage is legal across the country, because the Loving's challenged the state and they won in the Supreme Court. They won because marriage is an established civil right.

What the court is deciding is whether or not same sex couples are being deprived of an equal right to marriage. Obviously, we are, which is why we are going to win.

Civil Rights and Human Rights should not be put up for a vote. It is fantastic that we won in Ireland, and yes it is wonderful that straight people came out to vote for our equality. I don't want to downplay the importance of that action. However, had we lost the vote our civil right to marriage would still be in tact. Rights are not determined by popular votes. It doesn't matter if everyone agrees with someones Rights or no one agrees with someones Rights, they still possess those Rights.

We have *ALWAYS* had the right to marriage equality. It was simply not recognized by the state. Thus, this vote in Ireland, as well as the impending Supreme Court ruling in the United States, are merely a recognition of a Right that already exists. They are not granting us some special right, or creating some new magical redefinition of marriage. They are recognizing the fact that same sex couples, since before the rise of human civilization, have been forging romantic and sexual relationships, and that such relationships are not the exclusive domain of those in opposite sex relationships. Then they are conferring onto same sex couples a legal recognition of their pre-existing relationships.

16. TeddyV

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Congrats to the LGBT community in Ireland!! (*hug*)

17. tscott

Though I'm not Irish, I wish I were. I'm very proud of them leading the world.