1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Involuntarily commitment question

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Hatsune Miku, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Hatsune Miku

so i cut my self on a daily basis nowadays and i was wondering if i get caught could i be ivc'd for it and if so can i just sign myself out of the hospital since i'm a legal adult now? If anyone has any knowledge in this area it'd be really helpful. Thanks.

#1 Hatsune Miku, Jun 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  2. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think you should be more worried about that you intentionally cut yourself frequently. Probably something you should address first...

3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, it's not an easy question to answer because the rules and procedures vary from country to country and may even vary from region to region. If you are concerned about being committed or detained under a section order, wouldn't it be a good idea to try to take back control and stop cutting, so it doesn't happen? I agree with the previous poster that you need to address the fundamental issue.

How do you feel immediately before you cut (what's going through your mind) and how do you feel afterwards? What difference does it make?

Have you tried anything short of cutting? Sometimes, it can help to try alternative mechanisms and strategies that still offer the release, but are less destructive, for example twanging rubber bands against your skin. If you like I can send you some more resources on this theme.

Most importantly, don't bottle things up. Most people cut, or otherwise self harm, when life is stressful and coping mechanisms break down. If you're keeping things inside there is no wonder the emotional volcano is constantly erupting in the form of self harm.

You can get past this. Do you have a therapist to talk to?