1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Information For and About Transgender Individuals

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by J Snow, Nov 5, 2012.

1. wilted

A part of Arizona where it actually snows!
    Thank you so much for posting this! I admit I don't know much about transgender individuals and this was very helpful to me. I would also like to thank others that replied to this post with more information. I'm sure the thread will help many people!

2. Deaf Not Blind

I just now, 3rd time reading it got the joke...you are not cross. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Keep in mind I am not trans*, but since no one else is replying I want to try and help in some way.

Many terms when it comes to gender are very subjective and they change from one person to the next. A lot of times, if someone tells you "hey, I'm this" then the first step you should take is "Awesome, what does that mean to you?". Crossdressing can be both an action or an identity, it depends on the person. Also, keep in mind that technically crosdressing is under the trans* umbrella, but I get what you mean. If it works for you, then that's all that really matters.

Like I said above, if it doesn't work for you then don't worry about it. Honestly :slight_smile:

That being said, I don't really understand your question. Sexuality doesn't really matter when you talk about crossdressing so not sure what your confusion is.

4. BobRobin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    The definitions and discussion by J Snow was terrific. Liked all of the comments. I've been a cross dresser since age 8, but in the closet. I now believe I am transgendered, as I identify with with my feminine part, include thinking of myself as a women during sexual relations.

5. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Interesting Thread :slight_smile:

6. This thread helped me out a lot too, thank you so much!(*hug*)

7. TheMightyBoosh

Thank you for writing this (*hug*) It's great and must have took a while to do so thank you :slight_smile:

8. boysdontcry

a very interesting and informative thread! as cross-dressing has been widely discussed, i would like to add 'gender presentation' to the list of terms relevant to Trans* people.

Gender presentation is completely separate from gender identity. It is the way you act and dress around people to suggest your gender. For example, a cis-male who cross-dresses would have a feminine or female gender presentation in the same way that a woman (cis or trans*) dressing similarly would have a feminine or female gender presentation, despite their contrasting gender identities and/or sexes. Any person with any sex or gender can have a gender presentation that doesn't align with their gender identity. Stereotypically, this is seen in 'butch lesbians' with very masculine gender presentations, but who are still 100% women. It's not limited to them, though. A trans*man may be completely comfortable in a feminine gender presentation, or a trans*woman in a masculine one. Non-binary people often mix or switch between binary presentations, as do other people, usually of queer leanings. Conflicting gender presentation(s) does not make one any less their identified gender, despite claims otherwise.

Just a short explanation, as it is tied in very strongly to the trans* (and crossdressing) community.

9. AndiePandy

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This really helped as a beginners "guide" to explaining broad details for the meaning of Transgender. Thank you! It's very well written.

10. Robscloset

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I have read some on this topic at other locations. The 2014 proposed terminology has cross dresser as specifically crossing gender lines in choice of clothing only while transvestite is taken to be crossing the clothing choice as a specific form of gay presentation.
    I have been cross dressing about 15 years. When people ask without being rude I tell them about one of the differences in male vs. female clothing. In past centuries people were expected to be right handed, as such, men have the closure with the right side of a clothing article going against the body and the left side overlaps. The proper lady would have a chamber maid to fasten the clothing - using HER right handedness - left part to body and right side overlapping. So? How many women wear proper MENS pants - majority of those wearing pants!