1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Indian Lesbians and Gays

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by AbcdWxyz01, Sep 1, 2015.

1. AbcdWxyz01

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hi,

Like you I am also struggling to find solution to my confusion. May be we can share our stories over here... in Some cases it is simply hard to come out and one must opt for alternate life...A marriage of convenience, abstinence from sex.... Please share all stories

... People from other nationalities are also invited

2. Manitoban

An acquaintance informed me last year they thought they might like guys after getting a bit drunk at a party but felt that he couldn't explore it due to his family and heritage.(his parents were from India he was born there but now lives here in Canada) I said being in Canada there really wasn't anyone that would care very much if you were gay/bi. He seemed to think his family would be rather upset about it despite thinking it was perfectly fine for 'white people' to be 'that way.' He never mentioned it again to me but I imagine he was getting torn up inside about it but seriously doubt he has done anything about it.(I told him to seek help from the university about this that night)

I find it interesting that in the past there in general in south east Asia there was a general indifference to same-sex relations until the Europeans arrived.(Not 100% on Indian in particular) Now the Europeans and their former colonies(N/S American ones, Aus, NZ basically) have mostly come to some form of toleration of it at least while those most against it are the ones who had/have different religions and culture and adopted this part of former european ideals.

3. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm Indian and bi-lesbian, though I live in the uS and my parents are fairly liberal. But not for the LGBT issues

4. AbcdWxyz01

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hi,

Same here, My parents are liberal but LGBT issues are just to big....
    The question I want to Impose here is , Why Indian parents get so upset about being Gay or Lesbian?

Is it the social pressure? Is it the desire to have grandchildren?... What do you think is the most dominating reason?

5. Zappy

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Oh hey. Nice to meet another Indian here. I was born and raised in the US, but my parents are Indian. They're somewhat liberal for Indian parents, but lgbt stuff seems to be an alien thing to them. Which is not too surprising. My mother didn't even know gays existed until she came to the US as an adult. They don't know about me yet, but I'm quite sure they would not be pleased.

In my opinion I think the social pressure is the big hang-up for Indian parents. There's definitely the whole "what would the neighbors think?!" mentality going on here. Tradition is also a big factor. Even here in the US there is pressure for us to make "respectable marriages" (ie. to other people of my ethnic group). And even though my parents are fairly liberal, they still have some traditional values and expectations for their kids. I'm sure the idea that they could be raising a lesbian child never crossed their mind. That was something for other people, not them.

6. molsen7961

I'm an Indian bisexual, but I was born and raised in America, while my parent's are first generation Indian immigrants. I came out to my dad, and he kind of just said, "I don't know where you're getting it from," "you're acquiring things from the internet," etc., then just pretended it never happened. I haven't told my mom yet. Obviously, they're fairly liberal for Indian parents, but that's probably because we live in the US. Hope things go well for you...good luck :slight_smile: