1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In the closet but still want to meet someone

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Dave the rave, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Dave the rave

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Here is my situation. I suppose I have known for years that I am different from most boys. If any guy even smiles at me in my head he becomes my new lover. Sad I know but it just happens that way. Since I first started Jiggling my pickle it has always been thought of boys that got me off. I have tried thinking of girls but I always end up thinking of their brother or boyfriend to complete.

I have been totally in love with my best friend for years I would honestly do anything for him and although I have never came out to him as such I have made offers that would leave him in no doubt about my desire for him. I know he is straight but he plays along from time to time we have Jiggled together without touching each other he has no problem being naked in front of me and recently he had a bad accident that had left him in bed for a few weeks with a broken leg and arm. I went to see him most days and helped him with some personal stuff because he was not able to do them himself. I decided last week that I was going to stop trying to seduce him but it just is not that easy. If he texts me I go all crazy in my head about him and when I am not being suggestive for any length of time it is as if he misses it and will introduce something into the conversation that gets me back on the subject but I know he wont go that final step with me I have tried so often and failed.

The thing is I know that somehow I will have to get out there and meet like minded people but I just don’t know how to go about it. I cant come out to my parents or friends so I have to remain in the closet just now. I started a blog and have a good readership and followers but most of the people who read or follow are no where near where I live. After all this writing here I suppose the Question I am asking is how did you get it known that you are available to other guys when your still in the closet to most

2. Holmes

It is a big step, and you shouldn't rush into coming out, do so when you're comfortable talking about it with others.

You live in a big city, there are surely support networks for young gay people there. Have a look for those, and the more you find gay people of your own age, where you can be yourself, and less and less think of yourself as being in the closet.

I did a quick Google search, here are a few pages to start from

Gay Manchester and Manchester Gay Village
    Queer Youth North West | Gay Youth Group | Queer Youth Network - National UK LGBT Youth Organisation for gay youth, forums, groups, teens run by, for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgendered Young People. GLBT, LGBTI, Intersex, Gay Youth Groups, bull
    YGM: Coming Out: Youth Group Listings: North West

As I say, do focus on groups aimed at people at your own age group.

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Being gay doesn't exactly make you a pariah in Manchester, from what I understand. I can understand not wanting to come out to your parents - they might be homophobic or not understanding, and you can't exactly pick your parents. But you CAN pick your friends. And if your friends are the type to not be understanding or supportive, I'd say it's time you give more thought into whether they're actually friends, or just people you hang out with. Because they're not the same thing.

Other than that, yes, go out. Check out some of the links Holmes provided. Find a better outlet for your sexual frustration than your poor straight friend. Sexual tension is so much better when there's actually somebody else on the other end who's interested. :slight_smile:

Lex

4. Dave the rave

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi Guys cheers for the replies. Yea Manchester is my closest city about 50 miles away. I have recently started work in my home town as a trainee chef. Working split shifts traveling back and forth between Manchester and here would not be easy.I can hear what you are saying I am just not ready for the Gay scene as such more interested in meeting others pretty much in the same boat as myself but thanks a lot for taking the time to reply and for taking the time to look up the links for me Holmes.
    Dave

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't confuse "the gay scene" with "what gays do". It's like calling people who go to football matches "the straight scene". Just a highly visible but small subset of same. :slight_smile:

Lex

6. Holmes

Thanks, no bother at all!

If by gay scene, you have in mind nightclubs, then fair enough. It's not something that interests me that much, because I prefer talking to people than shouting over dance music. But a youth group isn't like that, they're fairly relaxed affairs. Try emailing them, see what they do, see if it sounds like your sort of thing. Or even worth a chance. And try to find one a little closer to home. If you're not out to any of your friends, it's the best way to find someone. And such groups aren't really that focused on dating at all, a lot of the time they're genuine support networks.