1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm worried about how my parents will react

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Bi the waaay, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Bi the waaay

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My family are old fashioned and very unsupportive towards the LGBTA+ community so there's no possible way for me tell them without being able to support myself. Getting kicked out for my sexuality is a very real danger so I'm exactly sure what do to. Should I wait until I have a place of my own and a job so if they reject me I'll be fine? Or should I tell them?

2. Lyana

Hi Bi the waaay,

Being closeted is tough, but your situation is exactly the kind of situation where I can't encourage someone to come out. There is no "right way" to come out, but ideally it should be done when you're ready, when you want to, and when it's safe for you to do so.

You're a minor. If you were kicked out, what would you do? Where would you go? How would you support yourself? That is a very, very difficult situation to find yourself in no matter how old you are, but even more so at only 15. You know your parents, I don't. If you genuinely believe they will kick you out, I say, Don't come out. Don't come out until you can support yourself.

And it sucks, because I hate saying that to someone. But sometimes, waiting is the better option.

3. Bi the waaay

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thanks. I think waiting will be thnot telling theme easiest option. It's just I feel like the longer I wait, the more I feel like just not telling them at all