1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm Unemployed?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BitterEdge, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Apocalypte

My degree is in computer science, and (if I went back to finish it) it would only take me one year to complete a degree in maths too. I also spent 5 years working retail and one year working technical support while I was in college. Blargle.

2. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Blargle? o_o; WTf does that mean?

Well one more year after 4 isn't that bad for an extra degree. :slight_smile:

3. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Engineering. I'm not fucking going back to school. They already stole too much of my money, and time.

4. Apocalypte

^^ After 4 years of engineering school I'm not surprised! My degree was through my uni's college of engineering too, oh the pain...

5. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Surprising. I know a few engineering majors and they brag about having job opportunities and such high wage jobs available 24/7. I was actually told they're better than nursing majors career/job wise. :confused: College isn't too expensive if you go about it right and circumstances are just right. :slight_smile: What're both of you doing to remedy the unemployment? I thought you were 16 Kenko. I kept thinking... no way hes in college or past it! I kept thinkin you were George. :lol:

6. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been in uni for 5 years. Far too long.

The economy's in the shitter so no one is hiring! No one is building / expanding, ergo no demand for engineers. I have friends who graduated in the past couple years in engineering and are being Laid off. Worst is, they make more money on EI than if they got a minimum wage job! Normally engineering prospects are good, but not when the economy is in a downturn. Retraining won't help. My dad went through the same thing when he graduated in engineering many years ago in a downturn.

Nursing on the other hand is a government funded essential service, so there's probably more stable prospects, but I have 0 interest in nursing.

7. sdc91

I'm not struggling, but I sure wish I could find a job. I could use some spare cash.

Money's alright, but thank god for financial aid. I'd be paying $54,000 per year for school if it weren't for it.

8. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

That's awfully expensive. The most the UO is here per term is like 10k a term... :confused:;
    Maybe you should transfer to a community college to get the easy pre-reqs. :slight_smile: It's what I've done and I'm a Sophomore at jut under like 6-7k.

9. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

I just finished applying for my first round of employment insurance. I'm fairly certain I will be unable to get a job this summer due to my poor French and lack of experience. However, I might be trying to start a bit of a home business in the near future.

10. sdc91

(Off topic)

I'm going to Stanford-- there's no way I'm going to go to CC after working my butt off to get in (also, it won't accept CC credits). :/
    I just completed 2 years at a different university to finish high school anyway, and I have over 70 credit hours, so I might only need 3 years. Plus financial aid was decently generous (still costs a pretty penny, though).

11. Apocalypte

Searching everywhere I can, applying for everything even remotely related to my qualifications and experience and a few things that aren't, and trying to call in favours where I can. I'm not having much luck at all. :frowning2:

I *would* consider possibly going back to school at some stage, but not this year. My final year was horrible, and I think I need a year at least to get out and work (or attempt to...) before I do anything else.

12. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

Apparently the people down the street both lost their jobs and had to sell their house (well its actually still on the market hoping for a buyer), but there are so many houses on the market.

When people say the economy is getting better, I can assure you it isn't and it's far from over. I am a political science/ economics major I can promise you that.