1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm the only gay person I know

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by memyself, May 25, 2013.

1. memyself

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm so lonely. I hate the fact that when ever I go out in public, every person I see is straight. I'm so jealous of the luxury that straight people have. They can approach any random person that they are attracted to and chances are that that person will also be a heterosexual. And if they do accidentally hit on a non-hetero, it's no big deal.
    For me, I feel like 90% of the time when I hit on a guy that I think is gay, it turns out I was wrong. And when I am wrong, the rejection hurts so much. I know it's not straight guys' faults, they're just straight, but I've never heard a straight guy say "Oh, you seem like a really nice guy, but I'm straight. Sorry."
    I wish everyone's sexuality was just clearly labeled so that I could quickly tell who to and who not to try to flirt with.
    Who knows, maybe I see gay people every day, but it really really seems like I'm the only gay person I know. I go such long periods with out talking to any gay people. Usually many months at a time.
    And I've gone on my fair share of dates via gay dating apps and sites. I just can't do that. I feel like it's shopping on the internet for a boyfriend.

2. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Are there any LGTB social clubs or bars in your area?

3. memyself

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    There is one gay bar, but it's usually really dead and no one goes there. I still go there from time to time with my friends (always a group of straight girls).
    I just googled LGBT stuff in my town. All I could find was a bowling team that may or may not still exist, and a couple of social groups for lesbians specifically. I guess I'll keep googling.

4. Lakota

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe check the local college, see if they have an out reach program.

5. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Statistically ... About one in ten or twenty people you pass in the street will be gay or bi. What you need is to branch out of your isolation and make some gay friends. Not easy especially if you are in a small town.

I know... I left my home town at 25 years old not having met a gay person. With hindsight I would have taken some steps to out myself.. Horribly difficult if you are alone with the secret. But I do hope you will find an easy way to widen your friendships ..

If will take some effort to push yourself out there.. But even if the social groups aren't specifically LGBT the simple act of having a wider circle of friends will improve your chances of meeting more gay people ... !

Xx

#5 bingostring, May 26, 2013
    Last edited: May 26, 2013
  6. GirlyGirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    There's always a gay person you know. theyre just not out yet.
    i was lonely too but i finally found my match. someone iknew for a long time but didnt think she was a lesbian too.
    this may sound very silly but.. i was so into the law of attraction back then. so I kind of wrote it down, wanting to find someone whos this and this and that.. wrote all about her personality and everything. later on, i just decided ti stop feeling lonely and start feeling like i have the world, and i have her. started going out with friends and forgetting about it. out of nowhere we connected again and started going out.

hope this helps.