1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm super shy... how to make friends?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by shyjack, Sep 20, 2013.

1. shyjack

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just don't know how to talk to people... I don't see why not, both my brothers and my sister know how to make friends. So why can't I?
    And once I know why I'm not good at it, how do I make friends?
    Please help, I'm lonely and definitely lacking friends.

2. Ticklish Fish

you can start by saying hi and asking what people's interest and hobbies are?

3. PurpleRain

Skyrim... I have no life, and enjoy it. :D
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel your pain hun. (*hug*) I'm one of the extremely shy ones too. There's nothing wrong with you though you need to understand that. I know that nerve wracking feeling of "Oh my god, what do I say?? They're going to think I'm stupid or weird and they'll talk to people and tell them I am!" It's hard to get around, but in all honesty, people will surprise you. Another thing to understand about making friends is, no one ever said you had to talk up a storm. You should talk some and be friendly and everything, but you'll be surprised how many people (especially women) love a listener. Listen to people around you and if they seem to have similar interests as you just walk up to them and talk about the same subject. Its not hard to make friends even though it seems impossible. Just open your mouth and say what you think. You'll honestly be surprised how many people actually think the same as you.

4. LinkLarkin

This is cute. I'm exactly the same.

A good place to start is trying to identify places where similar minded people hang out, as having common interests is a great foundation for a friendship. For example, if you're into sports, join a sports team; if you're a musician, join a band. Just find some sort of local society (or school club depending on your age) that you think will include the sort of people you want to be friends with, and you should fine that you'll just grow close to people as you spend time with them.

5. shyjack

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you guys! I appreciate the replies and advice :slight_smile:
    And I really hope it works.

6. Werbinich

Start a conversation with a hi put in front of the first sentence you say to your friends since you'd be more casual with it.
    Hi, the weather is nice, isn't it?
    Hi, have you eaten yet?
    Hi, the lecture is boooooring.
    Hi,.......

If the other person responds, then that'd be the beginning of your friendship.

7. xJohnnyx

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You remind me so much of myself. I don't have any advice, but I wish you luck.

8. aaronmc

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi I suffer the same as you my interests consist mainly of reading and as far as I can tell not many people my age enjoy this or openly talk about reading its quite hard to strike up a conversation to get to know them. If any one can help it would be greatly appreciated.

9. method

I have trouble with this too. I feel like my under-developed social ability has come from having to distance myself from others (hiding being gay, hiding my religion), and I am guessing a lot of people on this forum may be able to sympathise.

This website has a lot of good advice, I suggest you check it out
    List Of All The Site's Articles | www.succeedsocially.com

10. Californiacoast

1. Check out Toastmasters and learn how to do public speaking. Amaze yourself with practice.

2. Compliment women on their shoes. Always works to make new female friends.

3. Compliment men on their shoes. Always works to get your ass kicked.

4. Ignore # 3

5. Practice saying hi and engaging people who are paid to be nice, ie Starbucks Barista

6. Simply ask, "how is your day going?"

7. Breathe. Alot. Say to yourself you are confident and they want to be your friend, they just need an excuse!

8. Keep trying!

9. I think shy guys are hot!

11. method

Toastmasters - good idea! They do this thing called 'table topics', where you get really good practice at speaking of the cuff - you get given a random topic, and then have to talk about it right away for a minute or two. Incredibly scary, but the environment is very supportive, and you will find your conversation ability improve. (It's also a good place to make friends!)

12. shyjack

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All of you have been so helpful, and let's hope all goes well. I sure wish other guys thought shy guys were hot haha. Thank you all! :slight_smile:

13. penguin machine

Well, a good technique is one I've been trying. I'm shy as hell but it helps when people say anything at all to me. If there's time to talk, I'll ask them how they're enjoying the class or something. Everyone has a million opinions and everyone likes to talk a little at least, so use that to your advantage. Remember to ask lots of questions. Ask about them and talk about them more than they ask or talk about you. Most people you'll bump into won't be good or courteous conversation, so just figuring them out is a good place to start. Some interests in common will help uplift the conversation, but not everyone is going to be your bff. Most people will forget you after a given number of years. But some friends will stick around longer :slight_smile:

14. toushirojaylee

Im shy as well and cant start a good conversation. I'm trying my best, but I'm not the one who approaches first. >_<

15. Indigo4135

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Joining extra curricular activities is a great way to meet new people . I remember having the same problem, I move around alot and it's hard to make new friends when you move every year and on top of that you're shy

16. shyjack

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I- I did it! I made a friend!
    You have no idea how much I was tending though. Haha.
    I just walked up to this guy, said I like his shoes--don't worry, I knew he's gay, so know aggression was faced-- and we had a conversation about shoes and clothes and then moms haha. We even planned a meeting outside of school :slight_smile: