1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm not good at anything

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Seige, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Seige

Thanks
    (*hug*)

And the problemprobi dont know how to give up those thoughts. If I dont based my judgements of myself off of other people I dont know how to value myself as a person. Like.... How good of a person I am.

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Take it for granted that you are a person of infinite worth. There is no doubt about that. The doubts you may feel are the doubts everyone feels, what they do differently is that they put those doubts aside in order to immerse themselves in doing.

When it works, they get the feeling of "disappearing" into the work, it's no longer "them" doing the work, they and the work are one. That's when excellence happens.

I suggested the drawing exercise so that you may get to experience that amazing feeling, so that maybe it could carry over into your musical interests.

3. Seige

I do try to invest myself in my work. Ill spend hours working on a small picture, and just working on little parts of it, then Ill be "done." and look at the final picture and be disapointed, because I spent hours working on a single small picture and it turns out looking ki dof terrible.

4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Getting good at something means getting into the details. If you resort to judging an entire drawing as "good" of "bad", it is a bit of a shortcut and what happens is that you fail to see what you actually did right.

If you are not satisfied with the drawing, get clear as to what exactly is "wrong" with it. Remember above I said that in order to learn how to draw you need to make 2000 mistakes? What is the benefit of a mistake? Answer: you learn! And if you've made 2000 mistakes...you have learned a lot!!

This is also where you would benefit from learning how to draw with someone who knows how and who's made the same "mistakes" you are making. It is a faster way of getting there (you will still need to make those 2000 mistakes, sorry) because you get immediate feedback and don't have to waste time figuring out for yourself where you went "wrong".

5. Seige

I dont know how to accept my mistakes though. Theres just so many, and it kindof overwhelms me. I dont even know hiw to get better because it seems like everyone else is just so far out of my league. Whatever I draw/create looks like something a 5 or 6 year old would make. Theres just so much wrong and ugly about it, but I dont even know what to fix. And im embarrased to show anyone, but when i do thwy say it looks fine, and they just give me a small thing to fix

6. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you have things for which you are the least "bad" at? Could be writing, singing, drawing, even sewing or knitting if you've ever tried those (a lot of people have been taking up knitting lately, both guys and girls, it seems to be a thing).

But for the "least bad" thing, the one that you are the least critical about...would you like to share it with us?

7. Justinian20

Actually here is something, don't compare yourself to others, I used to do that, and I wasn't really good at anything in comparison to my brother, but that was it. I kept comparing myself to my overly skilled brother which meant I was better at things than I realized because I had that overly skilled person in my life (It made me feel like I was mediocre, but I wasn't). Just think about that, you might be more talented than you realize, but it is your body that is making you think that way.

(for eg) you say you enjoy listening to music. Well I'm not good at making music, but I enjoy listening to it, I have set a goal for myself. To learn how to play guitar(self teaching). You may have to take those steps in your life to achieve being good at something.

Example: I'm very good at writing, but if I don't push myself I don't do anything with my talent. My mind is intensely creative and it is sometimes too creative for itself. My body though can't keep up with it.

I think you are good at something and you are putting yourself down because you think you aren't. I always put myself down and don't give myself credit for things because that's how I am. But then I am talented at specific things and I do recognise that, but I was never talented in areas most people are. (painting and using your hands art, woodworking, graphics, gaming, sport).

I believe you may be talented just in another area. So I suggest explore what you are interested in and you may find you have talent, ever tried creating electronic music on the computer rather than a instrument.(that might be your skill). So just explore yourself to find your talent.

You know what for Art I hated my art work it was really bad but I learned to call myself an abstract artist, meaning I didn't paint self portraits, I painted weird things that hid what I was painting, for painting I had to be helped by my artistic brother, he can paint as well. He's so good at everything and it sometimes makes me wonder where is that talent in me. But I have learnt that many things I am above average in due to that.

Just stop focusing on art as well, you are probably talented at different things ever tried storytelling, acting, computer graphics ergo building houses using computer programs, making things, maybe even scientific creation, like you might be really talented at doing scientific stuff, creating colonies of bacteria, spiders and even having an insect aquarium or a normal fish aquarium. Try those things.

#27 Justinian20, Nov 9, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  8. Seige

Im ok-ish at pixel art (and I say that generously, ive made like, one good piece, and it was really small) thats something Im ok at.

9. Seige

And I dont really know what im talented at though. It seems im mediocre at everything I try.

10. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Try sharing some of your artwork here. I would love to see it! Pixellated stuff is very cool.

11. Justinian20

You are not mediocre and tell me why art. You could be good at other things separate from art. I have the feeling that you are incredibly disappointed in your artwork and so wish to improve your artistry, I would say start with pixel art and get that to the talented level and as a 15 year old please just stop worrying about what you are and aren't good at.

Lets look at my talents and what I'm really bad at.

Bad at: Art, Video Gaming, Athletics.

Talents: Music(haven't yet learnt to play an instrument, but am at the moment), Writing.

For me that is some of what I am bad and good at. Notice writing is one of my talents. That is not an art style of any sort, it is writing. You look like you are negating other talents you may have with an intense focus on art. What do you enjoy first of all, you say you enjoy music, but let's just say music takes a much longer time to be good at than anything else especially because you must learn how to play an instrument going through all the genres that are easy and then going into hard.

This is just a little thing I put into categories
    1. Folk Music(fairly easy as most folk music is fairly slow paced and no complex guitar riffs)
    2. Soft Rock/Pop Rock(easy as guitar riffs are not complex again and the music is faster than folk but slower than a lot of other genres)

16. Heavy Metal(the hardest genre as it is usually fast paced and complex with extremely high level skill required to play)

So don't try to play music above your skill level in instruments, learn the instruments and you will get to that level.