I'm just dropping in some questions to know some more about you guys' political view.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by CongoColorado, Nov 10, 2014.

1. CongoColorado

QUESTIONS

-----------

1 - Do you support Abortion completely, on some circumstances, or is it completely unacceptable?

2 - Do you believe that the government is above the people?

3 - Should women and men have completely equal rights?

4 - Should Television Networks censor swear words?

5 - Do you believe Sex Ed should be taught to students?

6 - Do you support Obama's oil plan for finding oil on the seashore?

7 - Should the death penalty be used for the most serious crimes, or is it completely unacceptable?

8 - Do you believe the rich are ruining the world?

9 - Should Animals be given human rights?

10 - Should a non-living fetus be given human rights, or does it restrict a woman's right to her body?

---------- Post added 10th Nov 2014 at 05:39 PM ----------

My answers:

1 - I support it completely.

2 - No, Authority is nothing without us.

3 - Hell yeah!

4 - Fuck n*.

5 - Definitely, this is a huge problem in the Middle East. I was talking about birth to 2 Female Arab friends of mine, and both of them didn't know how they were made. They never had Sex Ed.

6 - No, it can damage marine animal's ears permanently.

7 - It should be used for the most serious crimes.

8 - Definitely.

9 - It depends, to be honest.

10 - No rights for a non-living fetus. It restricts a woman's right to her body.

2. The Janitor

Kansas City (such originality for a city name)
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Re: I'm just dropping in some questions to know some more about you guys' political v

1. Abortion is an option that should be available to any woman in any circumstance. First abortion should be covered under healthcare, after that, personal expense

2. The government exists because of the people, and its only function is to provide for the people. Of, by, and for.

3. Yes, both should have exactly equal opportunities.

4. The network should have control over the content of their channel, unless said content advocates violence or propogates truthlessness.

5. Sex ed should be taught, and should include more information than it does now.

6. No. I support research into the next generation of nuclear power. I also support the developing of alternative energies.

7. The death penalty should be up to the choice of the state.

8. I believe the rich are polarizing the distribution of wealth, and that this uneven distrubution must be fixed.

9. Unless they can prove their sapience, no. However, I do not support any type of animal brutality.

10. A fetus is not a person. However, I believe the decision for abortion should be up to the individual.

3. timo

Re: I'm just dropping in some questions to know some more about you guys' political v

1 - Complete support. I see no reason why abortion is wrong.

2 - No. The government should be there for the people, not be above them.

3 - What kind of question is this. Of course. It's not 1890 anymore.

4 - Fuck no. Dutch TV doesn't do that anyway and I really don't understand why this is a thing in America.

5 - Yep

6 - I don't know enough about this to have an opinion.

7 - I feel like the death penalty is completely unacceptable, no matter the circumstances. An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

8 - I love how suggestive this question is, but yes, I do. Wealth should be redistributed more evenly.

9 - This might come as a surprise given my previous answers, but, no.

10 - No. See 1. A fetus in its first weeks isn't a living organism.

4. Ashley2103

1 - Do you support Abortion completely, on some circumstances, or is it completely unacceptable?
    I support it completely.
    No.
    Yes
    No opinion.
    Yes.
    No idea.
    7 - Should the death penalty be used for the most serious crimes, or is it completely unacceptable?
    Yes, so if someone innocent ends up in prison, they don't have to spend so much time suffering in it.
    Depends on the rich individual. Some may be making this world better.
    No opinion.
    10 - Should a non-living fetus be given human rights, or does it restrict a woman's right to her body?
    It restricts a woman's right to her body.

5. Hexagon

Shame you didn't put in many economics questions.

I support abortion absolutely and completely.

I'm an anarchist. Take from that what you will. If there must be one, though, then it serves the people, and isn't above them.

Obviously.

No

Yes

Oil is destroying the world. And I'm not american.

Unacceptable.

Obviously

*blinks* They wouldn't be human rights, then, would they? I am, however, vegan. I'll try to explain my position on this. Nature involves death, extinction and everything else, and this cannot be denied. Neither should it be stopped. However, I do believe animals are possessing of some level of sentience. I also believe that given our minds, civilization and technology, we have made a choice to remove ourselves from nature, and thus have a responsibility not to disrupt it. For these two reasons, I'm against human consumption and enslavement of animals. But I'm not suggesting we extend the right to vote to animals, or make sure they get three meals a day.

No, fetuses are not deserving of rights. They have no independent life, as stated in the question, and throughout most of the pregnancy, are not sentient in any meaningful way. If they are to be protected, then, you are protecting the potential for life, rather than the reality of it. That's all very well, but if that logic is to be followed to its conclusion, then things like periods, masturbation and contraception would also be morally wrong. There is more to say on this point, but I think I'll move onto the next for now.

Even if the potential for life were worthy of protection, and even if, somehow, a first trimester fetus possessed all the qualities and moral value of personhood, I would still support abortion. This is because the control over one's body supersedes the right to life in this case. We take a similar position in terms of organ donation; It could be the case that in donating my kidney, I could save the life of someone who, in this situation, could not receive one from anyone else. Despite the undeniable fact that the other person has the right to life, this doesn't mean I must donate my kidney.

6. SomeLeviathan

completely.
    yes.
    yes.
    no.
    yes.
    no.
    never.
    somewhat.
    depends on the right.
    no.

7. Ryujin

Support completely

Fuck no

3 - Should women and men have completely equal rights

Hell yes

No

Yes

In favour of green energy

Completely unacceptable

Most. Though more that the ability of some to own considerably more money than everyone else is ruining the world

Depends on which rights

No

#7 Ryujin, Nov 10, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  8. Phalange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I support it completely.

No, what is a government without its people?

Of course.

No, I don't think so.

Yes.

I haven't heard of it. Oops. :redface:

Completely unacceptable. There are no solid argument in favour for it. The "eye for an eye" mentality is scary.

The relationship between the global south and the global north is. So yes.

No, what would they do with human rights? They should have rights and such, but not human rights.

No, it should not be given human rights.

9. Kriskluwe

Kriskluwe Guest

1. ) yes, completely without reservations.
    2.) in certain circumstances yes, eg, to prevent anarchy (this question needs to either be sectioned or clarified more specifically ).
    3.) This question doesn't deserve an answer.
    4.) interesting question : no is my first response. I believe the news should report the realities. Swearing is a reality . Especially for me. I don't trust people who dont swear . But I also feel there could be some guidelines for young children( a warning , for example , before the expletive is aired).
    5.) unequivocal YES! Especially here where sex Ed is nonexistent and ignorance prevalent (American classrooms ). It should start in increments beginning in primary school. Parents who find this objectionable may choose a parochial education that sidelines this topic .
    6.) I've read a lot about this proposal. In general I don't believe the oceans or seashores should be violated in any more than they have been. I think we as human beings (especially those so dependent) should learn to readjust our priorities and needs and live more in sync with the environment. I would need to be convinced more of this endeavor before I thought it was a good idea . As it stands now, thanks to our midterm election results , the environment just took a big hit.
    7.) a civilized society does not take it upon itself to put other people to death. Regardless of their crimes , you are stooping to the same level of barbarism . I have serious misgivings about biblically based punishments of any kind .
    8.) I believe those with money inevitably have more power on every level. I do not believe that it is completely unbalanced however , and I believe almost anyone can reach the same heights of prosperity and implement their own agenda. This type of thinking ( the wealthy rule the world ) also leads to scapegoating . It has a dangerous historical precedent and the "rhetoric" I've heard regrading this recently eerily reminds me of lessons that should have been learned 70+ yrs ago.
    9.) no. I have issues with anthropomorphism . While I myself would like to be able to live free of dietary dependence on another animal I don't believe they have inalienable rights .
    10.) a non living fetus is dead and thereby has no rights , even presumed .
    If you meant a viable fetus at the second or third trimester , as a dude, I don't feel comfortable answering this question . I have inherent prejudices which can't be wiped clean as I was raised Roman Catholic . I'd like to be able to say that this is a question , should it arise , to be left to medical ethicists . These people should be non bias in the matter enough to render a fair, case by case, decision . Ultimately , I'd like to hope I would say that it is the woman's right to have the final say ( see question 1 response ).

10. The Janitor

Out Status:
    Some people

Do you believe that a government's purpose is to propogate its own existence, regardless of economic and social change?

11. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

My answer to any question is: it depends. :wink:

It depends, and I support some restrictions, especially against late-term abortions. I see it as basically where does medical science say is the average age where a baby could survive outside the womb and effects on the mother's health? As I've thought about it, I don't really think there should be exceptions just for rape if the pregnancy has reached that certain stage (i.e. the child should not be to blame for the sins of the father). But, it's a tricky issue that I do feel should be largely the mother's free choice. I'm male, and I will never know how it feels like to be pregnant.

No, and I really don't like the wording of this question because it suggests an arrogant anti-government position. Humankind would not get to the technological success it has achieved without some sort of social contract. "The government" doesn't exist. It's just a bunch of people, rules, and regulations.

Yes, but that seems pretty obvious (at least to me). So, what does completely equal even mean? Women and men are physically different. Should men have a right to go to a "women's" bathroom?

No, to an extent. But I think they should censor racist/hateful words.

Yes, but only if it's backed up by sound research and not something that makes kids even more confused. Kids can quickly tell if they're being lied to.

Maybe; I haven't heard about this plan, actually. If it can be done cleanly with strict controls on pollution, then yes.

It is completely unacceptable. People who do crimes that are considered "worthy" of the death penalty are usually the ones who don't really care about that. I think life in prison with no possibility of parole is a more effective punishment. To live your life in a cell where others control you is more tortuous than to be killed "compassionately".

Maybe, but do you believe you're rich or not? Someone living in Colorado would be considered rich even if they worked at a fast food restaurant by some starving, dirt poor farmer in Ethiopia. You're rich if you have 1. running water/electricity/heating, 2. a roof over your heads 3. food security (i.e. not having to worry about going hungry) 4. access to decent healthcare 5. money after paying for 1-4 to do what you want (like participate on this forum).

No, because they're human rights for a reason. Animals, no matter how clever or intelligent, are not humans. That's why you can't put an animal in court for violating human laws. However, animals absolutely given animal rights, some of which are the same as for humans.

Umm, if the fetus is non-living, then it is dead... It should be removed ASAP to avoid decomposition and threatening the mother's health. But, since you're obviously talking about abortion, I already answered that question above.

12. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone

1 - Do you support Abortion completely, on some circumstances, or is it completely unacceptable? For the most part, completely unacceptable. However, dire medical situations may render it necessary.

2 - Do you believe that the government is above the people? The government should be by the people, for the people.

3 - Should women and men have completely equal rights? Yes. Men and women are equal under the law; that doesn't mean that they are physically or mentally equal.

4 - Should Television Networks censor swear words? Certain networks can if they want to. But there should also be networks that don't censor.

5 - Do you believe Sex Ed should be taught to students? Yes, and I believe it should cover homosexuality as well.

6 - Do you support Obama's oil plan for finding oil on the seashore? In general, I'm opposed to offshore drilling.

7 - Should the death penalty be used for the most serious crimes, or is it completely unacceptable? The death penalty should not be used in a civilized country.

8 - Do you believe the rich are ruining the world? No, but I believe they have too much power.

9 - Should Animals be given human rights? No.

10 - Should a non-living fetus be given human rights, or does it restrict a woman's right to her body? A fetus should have a right to live, yes.

#12 MintberryCrunch, Nov 10, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  13. beyourself

beyourself Guest

1 - Everybody should have the chance to decide if she wants to have an abortion. No government should decide about that.

2 - No

3 - Yes they should. They are both human beings why should someone be more privileged.

4 - Should Television Networks censor swear words? No, its quite annoying when every swear word is censored. Nevertheless should hateful words be censored

5 - Yes. It is very important for students to learn more about sex and safe sex.

6 - I don't know anything about it

7 - I find the death penalty unacceptable. Nobody should decide about people living or dying.

8 - Did you know that the poorest people of the developed countries still belong to the richest 10 % of the world? I think money has gained to much of a meaning and people use their power and money to ruin the world, but those people are not only rich people.

9 - No, it is a little bit stupid to give animals human rights. They aren't humans. You should treat animals nice though.

10 - No, it shouldn't be given human rights.

14. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I honestly don't know what to say anymore. The Episcopal Church supports full abortion rights for women, but it will always just feel awful to me in any case that there isn't a severe risk of death for the mother. My mom was told she and I had a 50% chance to live(the actual odds were much lower, we didn't know about one of the complications) and still went through with it, but I don't think everyone should have to make the choice she did. For her as a Catholic it wasn't a choice at all.

It should be, but it isn't.

Yes, I believe that they should have equal rights because all genders are equal. I'd also like to see more gender based rights for genderqueer people.

If they want to. I believe that you should be allowed to censor yourself, but you shouldn't be forced to.

Of course. We can't have children growing up thinking condoms are a type of bubblegum.

Haven't been watching the news, so I don't know an awful lot about it, but so long as there are no major environmental concerns it sounds like a good enough idea.

Always unacceptable. What kind of message is it sending to the world to say "You can kill people so long as you think it's just"?

Yes, and in my vision of how the world should be there would be no rich.

I believe so, but I try not to judge those who don't.

Wouldn't a non-living fetus be one that's already dead? In that case I don't care what they do. If it's made up of living tissue and is functioning and growing, it's alive.

15. SomeLeviathan

the government holds authority over the average citizen, I really have no clue what is so controversial about my answer to that question.

16. The Janitor

Out Status:
    Some people

In the case that a government propagates an ideology that a majority of the citizens of that nation don't agree with, is it the government's right or duty to continue to carry out that idea?

Also, do you believe in individual rights? Does the government have the authority to imprison a citizen, destroy their belongings, or end their life if that citizen speaks against said government?

I know that there are nations that value the government over the individuals, or even a majority of the people in a nation, and aren't below murdering those people to get their way, but I think that individual rights are an important aspect of a successful and happy population.

17. SomeLeviathan

is the government functioning via mass democracy?
    Yes. Yes. Depends (if said belongings are illegal). No. None of those are contigent on the reason you give, becuse I'm pro-freedom of speech, and recognize that the state holds legitimate authority over citizens does not necessarily make me in favor of political repression of citizens.
    well I never said I value the government more than individuals, so that's your problem.

Individual liberties are fine, but if you're doing them because the consequence of having them is a happy populus, you're doing them for the wrong reason.

18. The Janitor

Out Status:
    Some people

You sound appropriately heartless and mindfull. I like you.

19. SomeLeviathan

like if you want to make rights contigent on their consequences that's fine, but you're going to run into circumstances where the consequences of having a certain right are either just slightly shittier than the benefits, or overwhelmingly shittier, in which case you have to abandon that as a right.

for example, take a thought experiment where free speech empirically does not lead to a happy citizenry, in this case, do you have to ban free speech? if you answered yes, you're a consequentialist and this is a pretty big problem for someone who wants to espouse concepts of "rights" inside that sort of framework. If you answered no, then there is something about rights that makes them sacrosanct and protected from whatever negative outcomes may come about from their use, which probably puts you more in line with my particular school of ethical thought, deontology.

20. That one guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

It's the person choice, I personally think they should be able to if they have a good enought reason (not just the fact their child has a cleft lip)
    Kind of half and half here, if their passively monitoring people who are suspected of being a danger I'm fine with it
    Sure why not?
    Nope
    Yep
    No idea what this is
    I'm not sure, on the one hand it may be better if criminals have to live their entire life regretting their crime but on the other hand I'm a believer in an eye for an eye
    No more than every one else
    Fuck off
    10 - Should a non-living fetus be given human rights, or does it restrict a woman's right?
    No, it's not been born so it's still just a lump of meat inside a woman

Let's see how many people I've pissed off