1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm in a tough spot right now

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Old Soul, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Old Soul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My life has been real stressful these past several months. I'm unable to find any health insurance because I can't afford anything due to being unemployed. I'm not eligible for Medicaid in my state. I'm aged out of Obamacare under my parents' plan (I'll be 27 next month). I'm unable to obtain any tax credits or savings through Obamacare due to lack of income. So now I'm left to fend for myself and I already have antidepressant medications that I need to take. My only option left is a financial assistance program from my local county health system but I haven't found out yet if I'm eligible for it. I was seeing a therapist for my depression and anxiety on a weekly basis last year when I still had health insurance under my parents' plan...but since I no longer have insurance, I'm unable to see him...but he has been committed and willing to stay in contact with me periodically to see how I'm doing, which I'm grateful for. I guess I'm coming on here to find out if there are any other alternatives to finding health care or therapy if your income or employment status is uncertain. Has anyone on here been in this situation? I'm really at a point of desperation. I feel like there are so many road blocks if you are unemployed, and right now I'm not well enough to get a job...and that makes it so much harder to get better without any care. I just wish I could get through this but it has been so trying at times that I feel so hopeless and just feel like not wanting to live anymore...

2. SomecallhimTim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You might be able to get therapy at a university for a reduced price, some of them have programs where grad students work on a sliding scale. Another option might be finding a support group, you could try at a queer center. Not really therapy but something. Depending on where you're currently getting your medication you might be able to find it cheaper at CVS or Costco. Also if you are taking a preferred brand switching to generic could save you some money. Probably best not to do that without talking to a doctor though just in case. Local clinics or crisis centers might be able to point you to some other options too, it would be worth asking around.