1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm at the crossroads

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Hale, Sep 30, 2021.

1. Hale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hello everyone, I'm confused about my future. This is my last year at school, so I have to choose a path to follow, but I think it could've been easier if I was cis. My dream is to become an actor, I'm putting a lot of effort into it and this year I returned to school theatre club (previous experience was years ago, when I was doing fine). The whole process makes me feel uncomfortable, the way they all refer to me, roles I get, exercises I do... I understand that I'll need to deal with it more and more if I continue my way before transitioning and I'm scared. On the other hand, I can try to study harder in order to pass my final exams, I've chosen subjects I like, not what's easier for me, I don't really want to study them later in life, so it's kind of backup plan for me. Or I could get a job somewhere after I'll finish school save money for therapy,
    (I'll be 18 in February and can finally start)
    transition and either continue to work or prepare for things I need to be an actor, but as my true self. That's the plan I came up with in the end of summer, I feel like I'm missing something and I don't know if I'll be accepted as an actor or teacher or even be able to transition. In my career, I actually want to interact with people, but it's so complicated cause I face dysphoria every day. I'm not so smart and may be wrong in many aspects, so I'm asking for your experience and your advice about my future path!

2. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's awesome that you have a clear path with what you want to do in life. You have things very well thought through. This is a confusing time for sure and it's definitely scary.

I want to transition, but I decided, that I finish school first, find a job and come out of the closet completely, save up money and hopefully start my transition. I might have difficulties with my job later, but I will deal with that then.

I would definitely recommend finishing school and maybe even work part time, while in school, if possible or after and save up money. Transitioning can get expensive, though I'm not sure how it is, where you live. That's just my opinion. Others might have better ideas. Good luck on becoming an actor. Only you can decide the best route for yourself to take.