1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm a lesbian, so I can't go to prom.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Jordash, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Jordash

Alright, so lately all that anyone can seem to talk about is prom! Even right now, my older sister and her two friends are downstairs talking about how much fun it was and who they went with and blah blah blah.
    The other day I was hanging out with my friend, who knows I'm gay, and all she could talk about was how much she wanted to go to her crushs prom with him. Me, being the "great" friend that I am, went along with it, telling her how I'm sure he'll ask her, or maybe she could bring it up and all that good stuff. Then she said maybe she'll just wait for our prom and ask him to go with her because then he wont be able to get someone to take him. (Our school only does Junior Prom) Then she asked an almost dreaded question: Who will you go with?

I know I'm not exactly what every guy wants, and I'm perfectly fine with that. I like girls anyway. But it made me think. Can I take another girl to prom as my date? Every couple at corination this year was boy girl, even though I know for a fact there were two gay guys in that class, but neither went with another male.
    I asked my friend if she knew if I could bring another girl and she told me "No, the school wouldn't allow it." Now that made me quite mad. I mean, why can't I? I should be able to! I think my friend might be wrong here... but I don't know.

So my question here is: Can I bring another female to prom with me during my junior year? Also, what did you do for your prom, date wise?
    Thanks for any help you can offer me. :slight_smile:

2. IrisM

Yes you can. It is your right to bring whoever it is you have feelings for with you. The school has no right to deny you, particularly if it is a public school. If they did, then you should be able to press discrimination charges and sue them.

3. anonymous1

Screw that! Bring a girl it doesn't matter, you should be allowed to like whoever you want. And anyway what would they do throw you out? How could they prove you guys were actually a date? My sister is straight and went with a girl as her "date" and they bought each other the prom stuff and no one cared. A lot of girls here if they don't get a guy date will go with a female friend. They just want that "date" feeling.

4. Jordash

I'm just worried about the "corination" (I have no idea if I'm spelling it right or not) part. I mean, I watched my sisters and all the couples had a female and male, after they had their names anounced their picture was taken and then they walked down a small staircase off stage and separated into two groups: guys and girls.
    My issue would be everyone getting all pissy because I basically just fucked up their "magical" night. I know I shouldn't care what others think, but drawing that much attention to it would be weird.
    Can I still go to prom with my female date and just skip the whole "corrination" thing? You know like just wait in the audience or back stage with her and then we just get on the bus with everyone else to go to the actually party?

5. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

I would think that the school would allow that. They cannot deny you the ability to take another girl to prom, and you could reasonably argue that having your relationship exposed like that interferes with your ability to enjoy prom to the same degree as a straight person. If they give you a hard time, hinting that not letting you skip the coronation may have legal consequences for them might help, even if you have no intention of following through with it. Schools don't like that kind of publicity.

6. NicoleV96

NicoleV96 Guest

You should go to prom with a girl. Schools cannot say anything about it, because they're not allowed to, schools cannot judge you for your nationality, orientation, religious.. etc. and if they do, they'll be the ones that get in trouble. If you want to go to prom with a girl, you go. About the coronation, you should do that as well. You won't ruin their magical night, and it's not your fault if people over react. Their reaction is up to them, and if their night is ruined, they let it happen, not you.

7. bob94

Like other people have said, I would have thought that you could bring a girl. But at my public high school, that wasn't the case. There was this girl, who was a junior, and she was going to bring her younger sister as her "date." She was going to do this because her sister wouldn't have been able to go, since she was only a sophomore. But the school told her that she couldn't because they said that people of the same sex can't be prom dates. Keep in mind that I live in a pretty conservative area. I would have thought that there would have been some sort of discrimination rule/law against it, but apparently not. Our school handbook even said that they don't discriminate based on sexual orientation, but I guess that was a lie :/.

8. Jordash

See thats what I'm talking about. My school handbook also says that they don't discriminate but... they could do what they did to your friend. I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and just ask. I have quite some time before my prom so I guess I'll get around to it. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Thanks for the help guys.
    But any more info, personal stories, opinions are still appreciated. :slight_smile:

9. dasazn

What one of my friends did for her prom (it was more complicated, because her girlfriend was also a year younger, and our school requires paperwork for that, oddly...) was have a guy friend bring her girlfriend to prom as his date, and she just brought a different guy friend as a date. It works out if both guys don't mind (they were both rather shy guys in this case, so having a date in the first place was a big surprise to begin with), and even better if you can find two gay guys.

10. LookingtoAffirm

I don't know if you live in a very conservative area in the south or something like that, in which case this suggestion would be batty, but I think you should just go with a girl without asking. I doubt anyone will make a big deal about it and the school -can't- really stop you. You said that their handbook says they don't discriminate by sexual orientation right? Make history :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. Jordash

Make history, ey? Haha, making some school history would be nice. :slight_smile:
    I guess now I just need to get out of this closet... I think the doors jammed or something because the door just won't open!

12. oblina

When I was in high school (two years ago ) I signed in my best friend from another school who was a girl. Do you have any teachers you are close with that you can ask? Could you skip corononation if you wanted to? I think you have the right to be a part of it, but I can also understand how all the attention would be nerve-wracking!

13. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well to me, everyone should be able to bring whoever they want. In high school, I never went to prom because no one knew I'm gay. But one of my classmates (a girl) went with her girlfriend, and everyone was cool with it. I guess it depends on your school and where you live. Some places are completely open about that, while others are not tolerant at all. I'm sure you know about the dozens of news reports on lesbians getting banned from their prom or their prom getting canceled because they tried to bring a girl. So it's really up to you and whether you feel it'd be okay with your community. Of course, I'm not saying that you should do this or that because of how others will react; you should do what makes you happy. But I mean, you shouldn't do anything that will cause an uproar or become a problem for you. It's not worth it. Prom is overrated anyways. You can dance with all the girls you want when you get to college.

14. LookingtoAffirm

Word! Same here, the hinges are quite rusty lol. Pm me if you ever want to chat :slight_smile:

15. Atticus

I am currenrly a college student and never much cared for prom, but at my high school, located in Mississippi, it was strictly prohibited to go to prom with a person of the same sex. Bringing a person of the same sex would result in immediate removal from prom and up to two days suspension. Be careful if you do decide to bring a girl. There may be repercussions you did not realize.

16. Jordash

Please excuse my language but, that's fucking stupid as hell!
    I have an openly gay teacher at my school and him and I are pretty tight! He's my favorite teacher by far and he used to hang with my parents when they were kids. And I'm pretty sure he knows I'm gay, I mean he saw how me and my girlfriend acted around each other. Heh heh, but I'll just talk to him and see what he thinks next year.

17. Atticus

Yeah. I agree. It is stupid. But I live in the most enthusiastic part of the Bible belt so it is extremely common. You know, because the homosexuals are the spawn of Satan himself. Your rules may be different. Talk to your teacher and see what is allowed. If it isn't, you can fight to change the rules. I never cared enough, as I was battling more pressing issues than prom, but if it something you would like to pursue, start a petition and see what happens.

18. IrisM

Whatever happens, we all wish you the best of luck. No couple should be denied their right to go spend a romantic evening dancing together. ^^

19. Jordash

Thank you very much. :slight_smile:

20. Yuri

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As many other people have stated you have to check out YOUR individual school policies but I know at my school there were at least 2 lesbian couples that did go to prom. They were part of the coronation and are in the yearbook. The school is not technically allowed to discriminate against sexual orientation but some do. Just ask around, look through your school guideline, and if you don't see anything about it I would assume it isn't a rule because something like that would be printed somewhere. After all that go for it. Have fun :grin: and good luck