If you're gay: would you date someone who identified as trans* of the opposite gender

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by IsThisAName, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Just Jess

Re: If you're gay: would you date someone who identified as trans* of the opposite ge

OP by the powers invested in me by that Elvis doughnut I ate the other day from Voodoo Doughnut - Denver has one now BTW :slight_smile: - I hereby grant you the ability to date your friend and still call yourself a lesbian. This power extends to a cis guy you find attractive should that ever happen. If you're normally attracted to women, that is just the way it is, and if you have exceptions, that is just the way it is. If you don't want to tell people you're bisexual because you don't want to give them the impression it would ever work with a guy, then you are a lesbian.

I think the only "gotcha" here is that a lot of the feminine things about your friend could go away, and you have to be prepared not to stand in their way. Or to break things off and just be a supportive friend. That could be painful, but if you find yourself not into your friend any more, necessary. Testosterone does two things. One, it makes people like your friend look very masculine very quickly. Beards, muscles, the works. The other thing, is that it will increase your friends libido. So, friend becoming less attractive, plus friend wanting to have more sex... it's not a fun situation.

I mean we like to say we're all capable of looking past all that stuff. Some of us are. And it's beautiful. But sexuality in my experience just does not work that way. Sex with the wrong person can be painful and terrible. It's not something you should ever force yourself to do. Sex should be between two consenting people that actually want to do it. It just will not work with the wrong person.

It's basically the same problem that a closeted gay person and a straight person run into when they try to stay married. Some people suffer through for the sake of the relationship and because they love each other. Or they have obligations like kids. But it is always a less than ideal situation.

But I mean, you might find yourself attracted to your friend, even when they become masculine. If you want to give it a shot go for it. I don't want to embarrass her at all, my ex is completely straight, but she does find herself attracted to me even more as I become more feminine sometimes. She says a lot of it is just the familiarity. So I mean, sexuality is kind of a mystery.

So yeah, go for it, just know what you're getting into?

And one more thing, whether you date or not, when your friend decides to try to get other people to call them "him' of course you'll have his back right? Right now, if she is cool with her, I can totally respect you letting her choose which ones to use. But, you know, be ready when he decides to be he.

2. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Re: If you're gay: would you date someone who identified as trans* of the opposite ge

Nope because trans men are men so no :dry:

3. EyesNeverLie

Hmm. Well I guess it depends. If it were a MtF trans then sure! But I'm not sure about a FtM trans since I'm not attracted to men. I guess if I were in love with that person before they started the transition that would be probably be the only exception.

I don't know a lot of information about trans. I have yet to meet one but would love to meet one one day! I'm simply curious.

4. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people

Totally keeping an eye on this thread, for erm... reasons. :slight_smile:

5. BelleFromHell

I'd consider dating someone who is MtF, but FtM? Sorry, no.
    A transman is still a man to me, regardless of his sexual organs.

I wouldn't even date a butch woman, much less a transman.

6. girlsnotgrey

Out Status:
    A few people

I would absolutely date a femme MtF, but I'm going to echo a couple of other commentors and say that I most likely wouldn't date an FtM, since I'm not really interested in males.

7. KyleCats

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

This thread is fascinating.

I'm so new to everything but I've been wondering about the opposite, it's still pretty confusing to me. But that's why I'm on this forum :lol: I don't wanna hi-jack though so I'll just lurk this thread.

8. awesomeness

That's a tough one..

If I was in love with the guy before he decided to transition, then yes. I think I could, since I'm attracted to a feminine appearance. But he/she would have to remain pre-op for the sexual/physical attraction to still be there. And I don't think that would be fair to him/her.